“ABSOLUTELY AVOID THIS PLACE”
Review of Margaret Tayar

Margaret Tayar
Ranked #64 of 94 Restaurants in Jaffa
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Salt Lake City, Utah
“ABSOLUTELY AVOID THIS PLACE”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We walked to Jafa along the beach or bike/walk path. On our way, I asked a woman who looked like a good source where she would recommend eating if I wanted food typical of the area. She said that if price wasn't an issue, try Margaret Tayar.

Most if not all the tables are outside on a very unimpressive patio with lots of flies, stray cats, and very little if any view. Another reviewer commented about how long it took to get a tablecloth. We never got one

We both ordered couscous, my wife vegetarian couscous and I ordered the meat couscous. We were told it would take about 30 minutes which was encouraging since when we first arrived we saw all the appetizers sitting on a counter in the small space just inside the entrance exposed to flies and the customers passing by on the way to the restroom which didn't look too appetizing let alone healthy and we felt a long cooking phase of anything might be good. My dish arrived warm at best and not even close to decent. The meat was difficult to find and the dish bland.

I would never return to this place and it was expensive on top of being terrible all around.

I repeat, do not eat here.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank TravelingBruin

Livingston, New Jersey
“Couscous to dream about”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

wonderful view of yafo. eat outside, relax, and enjoy. i don't think it's more expensive than any other place with equivalent food. the couscous specials are just wonderful - stuffed artichokes the size of your fist, vegetables, and a shell of cauliflower with meat and moroccan seasonings. when you can taste the touch of cinnamon in the dish, and wash down your meal with a bit of thick coffee, you have something to dream about until your next trip. if you want fast service, and fancy linens, and foofy drinks, stay at the beach hotels; if you want to experience cooking that's been passed down to margaret -- who you can find busy in the kitchen -- in a place suggested to me by one of my "favorite locals" then pull up a plastic lawn chair and enjoy.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank snowmanonfire
Rehovot
“Great food and the best Med Sea vista But you pay the price”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Very very good couscous. Great view of the sea and tel aviv coast. They've been around since 1977.
Couldn't understand why we were alone till I got the bill, 51$ for a sample of salads, one plate of couscous and two beers!
The location makes it worth it!

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank DrRobertRehovot
New York City, New York
“good but pricey”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I ahve been to this restaurant three times over the last few years; The first time was exceptional; the last two times very good but not like the first experience.
The owner is a gregarious woman with a hearty laugh;
Her salads and fish dishes are quite good but there appears to be no rhyme or reason for the price of the meal;
I would be more comfortable if there was a menu with a set price; I would hate to think that as a foreigner I spent more money for my meal than an Israeli.

• Visited May 2012
Kiev, Ukraine
“Very authentic, hidden restaurant serves homemade fish and kosher dishes.”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is not a trendy place, you should not expect to have a dinner in chic exterior and a food is quite simple. But it is not easy to find better fish and it is truly authentic food cooked by Israeli mammy :) Sea is very close and you can enjoy the view and the best food. Thank you Margaret.
Please note, that there are no seafood (calamari or shrimps) and the prices bit higher than expected.

• Visited August 2012