“Tale of two Halves”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Herzliya
london
“Tale of two Halves”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This Hotel suffers from a dual personality.

Firstly the good stuff: Its in a great location, the poolside area is pretty luxurious and the views across the beach are also quite special. However the hotel is only half renovated. So you have some really nice rooms in one half but the half I stayed in was very tired and old looking. It doesn't seem to be reflected in the prices.
I had a really bad experience trying to order room service. In the end I had to go downstairs to reception and queue to place a room service order (not exactly room service). My food (a very simple pasta dish) took an hour to arrive. This is not the kind of thing you expect in a hotel like this, especially when I was already unhappy about the actual room.

to top it all off this is one of those hotels that charges extra (and a lot extra) for wi-fi. This is my personal absolute worst thing that an expensive hotel can do. The daily rate wasn't far off what I pay for a monthly broadband subscription. So all in all. I didn't really like the Daniel - although I am sure that others staying the renovated half have had a better experience.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room in the "new" side of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
riki a, Public Relations Manager at Daniel Herzliya Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest

To begin 2014 we would like to thank you for taking time to fill out your feedback following your stay at the Daniel Herzliya Hotel.

We are pleased to inform you that the hotel is undergoing major renovations and we would be honored to have another chance to welcome you back to the Daniel Herzliya Hotel.

Please send me a personal email with your arrival dates and we will ensure that you will enjoy a pleasurable stay in our beautifully updated, refreshed rooms - riki.apel@tamareshotels.co.il
Guest Relation Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was only able to stay one night but had wonderful accommodations. Riki Appel was extremely helpful and all the staff followed her lead. We had a lovely room with club services and terraces. The grounds and pool were perfect as was the weather. Another important aspect was the ease of checking in and out especially since we were only there for such a short time.
Thank you Riki!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
riki a, Director of Sales at Daniel Herzliya Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014

london
Reviewed June 11, 2013

i have been in hotel in the amazing suite room (room number 1261). everything was amazing and great. the location is amazing next to the beach in 5 minutes from the Herzliya mall and restaurants area.
i really advise using the Shizan spa ... best spa in israel.

Room Tip: 1261 is the best room in the hotel .. (but the most expensive one)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

For US$ 238 for a night I think I can expect something reasonable. But instead I got send to the basement (floor -1), and they didn't even apologize or anything. I was clearly just a burden to the receptionist. I had to pass through some service doors, along a corridor where an old mattress and outer junk was standing against the wall to get to my room. The door looked like a recent board-up thing. Inside the room had old furniture, no decoration on the wall at all, and a window/door that couldn't open. I should have rejected the room outright but was too tired after a long working day to complaint.
The next morning I had to leave early (6:30am) to go to the airport. The receptionist at check out was as unfriendly and uninterested in me as his colleague the evening before.
I was glad I was out of that place. The taxi driver was asking me why they hadn't offered me a breakfast box to-go, which they normally do when you leave so early.
Please avoid this hotel if at all possible.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RClouseau

Celle, Germany
Reviewed May 29, 2013

During my first trip to Israel in November 2011 I stayed in the "old" part of the hotel. Therefore the price is too high for what you will get as an guest. Very old furnitures and not very comfortable. My second trip in Seoptember 2012 I was lucky to have a room in the Shizen Spa, which was very comfortable and this part of the hotel is in very good condition. My last trip was in March 2013 and was booked in the left tower of the hotel which was not really bad but not comparable with the Shizen Spa. If they would take some mony in their hands, it can become one of the best hotels in this region. They have to look after cockroachs and other bugs in the hotel. It has to be cleaner for this type of hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the new part (left tower) or in the Shizen Spa
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Hollywood FL
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a good hotel and if they put in a bit of time, money, creativity and effort it could be a great hotel. The staff try hard to please – they were very patient and professional which is unusual for Israel. Doron and Chen were especially helpful.

Make sure you get a room with a balcony. We first got one of the older rooms without and it looked old and tired so we upgraded to the better rooms whose bed faces the balcony overlooking the pool and sea. Made a huge difference to our stay. Opt for the rooms near the spa if you can as they are much closer to the pool.

The food was very good especially the Shabbat meal Friday night which had every imaginable food out there. Of course the Israeli breakfast is spectacular.

What would make the Daniel better would be if they cleaned it up a bit. The lobby’s décor is grey and other dull colours with heavy and somewhat worn chairs. They need to take a page from Miami and capitalize on the fact that they are on a beach and use more pastel, art deco colours to give it a more lively look which would go great with the large floor to ceiling glass walls that overlook the beach.

Oh and they need to get free wireless. This is 2013. When I asked they gave the lame excuse that its Israel. Yeah so what, the Harmony Hotel in Jerusalem has free wireless. It costs them bubkes.

Saturday night was absolutely dead in the place – I know Tel Aviv is right around the corner, but why not once again take a page from the Miami and add some night life with a club or so and make it a destination for people to head to? Capitalize on the location on the beach. Instead it had a few old people sitting around whilst a boring piano player belted out aged-worn tunes until 10:30 when they closed the bar and kitchen.

A shame they do not do more with this place – it would not take a lot.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a balcony. Opt for the rooms near the spa if you can as they are much...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

new york
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I read the negative reviews on tripadvisor but the pictures on booking.com didn't look bad and it was the only 5 star hotel with a reasonable 1 bedroom suite. Bait and switch! The hotel is 2 stars inside. It is dirty and the furniture is cheap and also dirty. I didn't want my daughter to sleep on the pull out couch it was so gross! Housekeeping flipped the mattress in front of us- I think they were even embarrassed. Cheap, small towels and thin sheets. No wash cloths, (two!) tvs that do not work and rusty chairs on the balcony. Our socks are black from the carpeting in our room. On top of all of this, the service is terrible! They are not nice, nor are they helpful at all.

The pool area is nice but also dirty. Plastic cups floating in the baby pool. We waited 1 hour for thin cheap pool towels and u have to use a voucher to receive a towel which is annoying. There are several pool attendants but they only seem to move chairs around. They do not help with towels. They close the pool at 5 and kicked us out!

Be aware if you check in on shabat, u need to wait till 9pm for your room. We ended up buying a room for the day bc of jet lag and bc we have a 1 year old and 3 year old who needed to sleep. They said they couldn't find our reservation and had to pull up the booking.com reservation to prove it. Both rooms, we had to wait an hour for the baby cot even though I reserved it in advance.

Everything is gross. Trash cans are broken, dead fly in the room service menu. I called for room service and they said. Sorry we have to call u back!!

Another note about shabat- it is crazy here! People do not need to check out so the hotel and pool area is nuts with new and old guests. A kid was even peeing on a tree! It was mayhem!

An ok playroom was open only on shabat but would have been great if open every day. A small thing that could have made the hotel a lot better for a family with kids.

Ok so a few pros... Great spot on the beach. Watermellon at pool bar is delicious. Buffet for breakfast and lunch is very good. Allah, at breakfast was so sweet and nice. Housekeeping staff very nice.

For parents with small children, u can walk south to shopping mall. There is a free, nice soft play area for under 5s. There are also toy shops and McDonalds

Note that internet is very expensive per day and it is only good on one devise.

Also note that u should ask for a metered fare if going into tel aviv.

There is a sign at the front door asking people to rate them on trip advisor. They must know that they have terrible reviews. Well here is another one. This hotel is HORRIBLE!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family