“A walk through grandma's house”
Review of Tzimes - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tzimes
Haifa, Israel
“A walk through grandma's house”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am on a diet. So I needed to find something healthy to eat. I was drawn by a sign indicating that they had soups on offer. A sstand outside the main restaurant sells five different soups every day (except on the weekend) serlved in plastic containers that can be carried away to the office (as a lot of high-tech companies are located in the area). Or you could choose to eat at one of the tables outside. A piece of bread in a little plastic bag and plastic spoons are offered. There is also a choice of two simple salads - also to take away. As I inspected the soups - I simply asked to take a look at each of them and was promptly offered I could actually taste each if I so wished - which I proceeded to do with the two in closer selection - there was chicken soup, lentil soup, courgette soup, goulash, potato soup, mushroom soup and two other soups I don't remember. There are two sized - a half liter recipiet and one for a bit more than a liter. The smaller one cost 15 Shekel, the big one 28. I went with the small one and the courgette soup, which was delicious. I had never eaten a soup like that. But that was not the whole experience - before I started with the selection I asked to go to the toilet and I got a good look inside the restaurant. It looked exactly like I imagined my grandmother's patio would have looked like, if she had chosen to put up some of the old kitchen utensils and a few tables with tablecloth out. The walk to the toilet was rather adventerious, upstairs, then along a long winded trail. But it felt like it used to when one was 9 years old in the early 1970s and discovering an old house's secret crevices. All along the way were old painted pictures, old maps, piles of papers, and suddenly a look into an office with someone working there, probably the manager, and so it went past doors that were either half opened or closed, until the toilet was reached - the very last door. It was clean and servisable and by the time I made my way back down and outside, I had worked up a proper appetite. A look at the menu told me that it offered generally old traditional ashkanazi Jewish cooking and I could read things that I had not seen on a restaurant menu for many many years. Things like tongue, or gefilte Fish in all sorts of variation, Goulash or jelly with veal meat...just the type of thing that my grandmother would have cooked. Between the whole decor were also books. Yep. It is in the middle of Herzliya Pituakhs industrial and high-tech zone, but it is like you'd made a travel back in time. A marvel and a pearl when you get old enough to become nostalgic about the good old days. Oh and it is kosher. It has a website, too: www.tzimes.co.il, or you can write an email to it: tzimes@gmail.com. Assumedly the guy in the backroom was answering those mails?

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank LeMetayel

Herzliya, Israel
“Disgusting.”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The food was pre-cooked and beadly heated up. One of the worst meals of my life. I would have left at once, but was hosting someone and had to stay and suffer quietly.

israel
“Mostly take-away”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Good down to earth jewish cooking, I love their roast duck.

Herzliya, Israel
“Good Jewish original food”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My wife and I ate here a few times.' Tzimes' is situated in the Herzliya industrial erea and offers good Jewish original tipical food.
The food is tasty but the portions are somewhat small.
Great atmosphere!

• Visited February 2011
“Going home to Baba's”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

If you are in the Herzliya area and want to visit your "taste memories" this is the place to go. Excellent Eastern European Jewish delicacies. The portions are large and the food is great. You won't leave hungry.
Reserve a moment for a "greps".

1 Thank winnipegkid