“A good place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ein Gedi
Kibbutz Ein Gedi Country Hotel
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This place is not really a hotel but rather a kibbutz guest house with a variety of different quality rooms from the most basic to comfortable accommodation. There is no luxury here. However, the rooms are clean, the grounds are pleasant, the staff are helpful and the location overlooking the Dead Sea is spectacular. The food is reasonable and there is plenty of it. Located one hour's drive from Jerusalem and 15 minutes from Massada, this could be a good place for an overnight's stop. Room prices include the use of the spa which is located about five minutes from the kibbutz and can be reached using their shuttle. If you're looking for something classier, then, as Selmakie has rightly pointed out, there are more serious and pricey hotels at Ein Bokek half an hour further south. However, Kibbutz Ein Gedi has much to recommend it.

Room Tip: I have stayed in rooms 24 and 36. They included a flat screen TV, fridge, double bed, toilet and sho...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 25, 2012

It's something between a hotel and a guest house. The amenities are OK. You can get a better price and a better hotel at Ein Bokek (where most of the dead see hotels are) but this place is in a unique, beautiful location, so it's different. You see here the nature in front of your eyes, and not only spas, shops and restaurants. Here is the big problem - if I could vote for or against building a hotel in this location I would say NO! a bunch of two story buildings scattered on a large area, which meant to be a wilderness. With this in mind, the hotels in Ein Bokek are more environment friendly - they are tall and concentrated in one place. Feel confused? Sorry, I feel the same. I had a great weekend in a beautiful place I wish have never been existed.
Ah, one more thing: They promised us a free 30 min treatment in the Spa (for each one of us. Worth ~100$). When we arrived there, the reception heard nothing about this. Next morning the reception repeated "no one could promise you such a thing". Well, I hate to say, it's a known Israeli trick, and I approached it with another known Israeli trick: be not nice. at all. It worked for me, but really guys, a decent hotel trying to rip-off a couple that just gave you 600$ for two nights?! are you nuts?
- new spa is just OK.
- massage was just OK.
- no bath, only shower.
- bad mattress
- you hear noise from adjacent rooms and from outside.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the new buildings (ours was in an old one) and if you can, a room facing Nahal Aru...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Selmakie
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Come to this hotel and pay the lower (but still pricey) fee and get the bottom of the barrel room! Mouldy shower, spartan accomodations, no shampoo, soap from a dispenser at the sink and shower. Just run down. However, it's location is perfect for Dead Sea romping. It's more like an old summer-cottage-commune type place where people sit out in front of their rooms at the plastic chairs and tables with their drying bathing suits hanging around. We did not eat at the dining room for dinner (we thought it was too expensive) but the breakfast was very generous and expansive. Be advised that the morning menu is very heavy on Russian cuisine, catering to the clientele. The pool was clean and nicely kept. Watch the moon set over Jordan from the pool area---- delightful!

Room Tip: Don't get the cheapest room here, you'll end up in a dump.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TIM V
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel run by Kibbutz Ein Gedi is a beautiful oasis in the desert, near the Dead Sea. Great views of the dead sea and mountains on both sides of the sea. Quite expensive, but worth it if you believe in various mineral treatments and Dead Sea mud. Excellent buffet for breakfast and dinner. Bad service from hotel staff. Main activity is going to Dead Sea - a marvel of nature, where you can swim standing, but be sure to wear beach shoes, since the sea floor is hard with mineral salts - also be careful not to get the very salty dead sea water in your eyes. The Dead Sea has retreated over 100 meters in the last several year. I spent 2 days there with my mother on her birthday and she was very happy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Staying at the Ein Gedi Kibbutz hotel is not an experience I would wish to repeat.

We booked into the Ein Gedit hotel based on the reviews we read here in Trip Adviser. Now I may have got it wrong but is there another Ein Gedi hotel in Dead Sea area that also has a tropical garden?

Our room was so basic that it made my garden shed back home seem like a prestige up-market property. Calling the room pokey is by no means being unkind. It was a type of room I would expect to stay in if I were an 18 year old who wanted to experience life living on a kibbutz not a paying guest in a hotel.

I know what a lot of you may be saying. You don’t go to the Dead Sea area and stay in your room. You take in the local area and the grounds of the hotel. Well the local area is superb. I can’t fault the location of this hotel, it’s close to the beach and they do run a shuttle service to and from. It’s also close to Masada, which is a must for anyone visiting the area. But again back at the Ein Gedi hotel it is impossible to sit outside or enjoy a walk around the tropical gardens because of the infestation of flies. They were everywhere including in the restaurant. We didn’t have dinner at the Ein Gedi as we found the cost excessively high and if the breakfast was anything to go by I am glad we didn’t. Its not the amount of food that is lacking but the quality is just not there. Not just the price for dinner but also little things like drinks and snacks in the bar. Always a few shekels more than any other place we visited in Israel.

I know it’s a kibbutz but if you are going to run a hotel within the grounds, charge top dollar prices then you have to give your guests something a bit more than just basic. As it stands I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they really want to experience what life is like on a kibbutz and don’t mind paying for the privilege. By all means go and visit their tropical gardens, pay a small entrance fee but don’t waste your money staying there because a proper hotel it is not.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank JR_Bournemouth_UK
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Our family stayed for one night at the Ein Gedi kibbutz's hotel during our recent trip to Israel. We loved it! We got a Deluxe Plus Arugot Room, which was a new, sparkling room with enough space for the three of us to share it comfortably. (My in-laws' room next door was very nice, too.) The best thing about our room, however, was the location. Besides being just a short easy walk from the buffet-style restaurant and the botanical gardens of the kibbutz, the view from our window was AMAZING! One of my favorite memories of our Israel trip was standing on our room's porch looking out over the wadi as the sun set behind the mountains. The desert mountains were gorgeous, lights twinkled across the Dead Sea in Jordan, and, best of all, seven beautiful ibex were resting on the cliff right in front of me.
Also nice was that this hotel has access to its own spa on the Dead Sea (a drive, though, not right there). We did not do any 'spa' activities because that is not the type of thing our family enjoys, but we did enjoy visiting it to visit the Dead Sea. As the Dead Sea shoreline has receded in recent years, the spa provides a tractor and wagon to pull you down to the sea (especially convenient in July's heat when walking would be too hot!). There are fresh water spigots along the Sea, shaded spots within the sea as well as on the beach, and even a rail to help movement-challenged patrons enter the Dead Sea without slipping on the salt, which was great for my 76-year-old father-in-law.
The hotel gets 4 stars instead of 5 only because of some minor inconveniences-- only mini-packs of tissues instead of boxes were provided, the third bed for my son was not set up upon our arrival nor were there towels for him, and the air conditioning was not turned "on" when we arrived-- although the latter two issues were quickly fixed, they were an annoyance.
The kibbutz also offers its own tours and activities. Finally, it is located a short distance from the hikes in the Ein Gedi Nature Reserve, which are beautiful. We arrived at the Nahul David hike at its 8 a.m. opening and were delighted to see many animals: hyrax and ibex.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in the Dead Sea area and has your own transportation to take you to places like the nearby Masada fortress.

Room Tip: A Deluxe Plus room with view of Arugot is the best choice for spaciousness, newness and amazing view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Devra30
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We had a very lovely stay in the Ein Gedi Kibbutz Hotel. The setting is amazing with views of the mountains and the hotel is set in splendid botanical gardens. The room was large,clean and and very comfortable with table and chairs to sit outside if you so wished.
The food was very good although it wasn't a personal intimate place to sit as there were quite a few groups. It is a large hotel but you dont feel it because it is very spread out and consequently very quiet.
The service was excellent and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get away from it all. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Ma'in
Prima Oasis Dead Sea
Prima Oasis Dead Sea
#14 of 17 in Ein Bokek

Been to Kibbutz Ein Gedi Country Hotel? Share your experiences!