“Ein Gedi Resort Hotel is unique, restful and different”
Review of Ein Gedi Hotel

Ein Gedi Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ein Gedi
Reviewed July 3, 2010

This kibbutz hotel has a choice of three room types. We stayed in the middle priced room. It was clean, big enough, and something akin to a nice motel room in North America. The kibbutz grounds is beautiful. The pool is great-large, plentiful lounge chairs, very good snack bar. There are activities to choose from every day including tours of the kibbutz and it's outdoor botanical gardens. The food was more than adequate and the service staff in the dining room were helpful and pleasant. The price was $224.00US and included breakfast and dinner for two. I thought that it was well worth it since dinner alone would cost $50.00-$75.00 in a restaurant. If you deduct that from the $224.00 you get a rate of $150.00-$175.00 inc. breakfast which is great for Israel. The scenery is great-the Dead Sea and the Mountains of Jordan. I would return.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MeirToronto

Reviewed June 4, 2010

We were able to convince the hotel to bypass the 2 night minimum and stay only one night. However, it was so expensive it seems like they charged us for 2! We were in the Arugot wing which seemed newer, but it was very dated and tired. The dining room is an embarrassment but the food was fairly good. Enjoyed going to the nearby public beach. The pool was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Boomer_from_Boulder
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I felt a bit worried when the desk clerk pointed out that our room was just moments away from where we were checking in. I got a bit more worried when I noticed the open air bar/patio just a few steps from our room. Long after midnight and numerous calls to the front desk later, we were still waiting for the staff to enforce quiet. Despite promises and a policy of evening quiet, the staff clearly did not know how to handle noise problems. Like most Israeli hotels, service is not a priority. The grounds are lovely, and it is family friendly. Rooms are spartan, but very clean. TVs are there, but are old, and did not function in either room we were in. The food was a good value and plentiful.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I went there with my husband right after our wedding (we are Israelis) and were bitterly disappointed from the rooms. The last time they were redecorated was in the 80s or something. The place was clean though.
We paid the equivelent of 200$ per night and it was worth half the price.
I don't know how they aren't embarrassed to have people pay so much for these rooms.
I wasn't suprized to see only foreign tourists. They can only get away with it once...

On the bright side - I love love love the dead sea, and ein gedi kibutz is beautiful, and I love the desert!
But next time we go to the area will be with a sleeping bag and a tent :)

I hope they read these reviews and improve. I do want for them to succeed,.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank OsnatE
Reviewed November 7, 2009

The communication with Ein Gedi is a nightmare. We made a reservation through the
Kibbutz website which was confirmed in May for four rooms for four nights. About two
weeks before the arrival we reconfirmed with Ein Gedi and were told we had no reservation and there are no availabilities. So we choose a different resort and only went to
Ein Gedi from Jerusalem for the day to be at the Resort and at the Spa on the beach. We are so lucky that they didn´t want us because the place is just horrible.

We were unware of the fact that the resort is on a hill about 5 miles from the Ein Gedi
Spa which was on the beach 25 years ago when the Dead Sea was bigger and now
so much water has evaporated that you have to make a 1o minutes walk to the real beach from the Spa.

Staying at a Kibbutz is a different story. So we didn´t expect a deluxe resort hotel. But the place is in terrible shape, the gardens are not very well kept, the pool area looks lousy,
the garden villas have the charme of a socialist vacation colony, the Arugot rooms look
much better but they are 300 usd a night in November !.The reception are is like a
elementary school assembly hall, the place is miles away from the beach and the
spa lies in the middle of the desert with no water to be seen. The spa is also all
25 years old at least and nothing was done ever since. The massage rooms and
the salt water pools are in terrible shape and need some renovation badly.

However we bought a full day ticket to be at the spa and at the beach with lunch for
about 150 ISR each which is a bargain. You get a small towel with it and a friendly reception upon arrival. The home cooked buffet is traditional but of good quality, the
dining hall is terrible and they often have groups for lunch there.

The beach is nothing to write home about. Plastic chairs , no service, no drinks, no
food. The beach guard seems to come right out of a prison camp and closed the
beach for hours for no reason until finally a whole group of Japanese tourists arrived all
coming from the mud section.

The air, the salt water, the mud and the hot pools at the spa may have very good
effects. We felt tired but great after a day and even missed to visit Massada because
we stayed there all day. But we were happy to return to Jerusalem in the evening and were glad we didn´t have to stay overnight.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank WORLDTRAVELLER
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed 3 nights at Ein Gedi Resort Hotel. We booked a "Botanical Garden Room". It was roomy and had TV, AC, coffeemaker, hairdryer and safe. The room was quiet at night but the bathroom was not the cleanest. On Saturday (sabbat) we had only our towels changed, but the room was not made up otherwise. We were told that the rooms never get made up on Sabbat. Meals (breakfast and dinner) were excellent and buffet style.
The swimming pool was olympic size and huge. Pool towels were available.

Staff had trouble making a reservation for a massage for us. I was finally able to make an apointment myself at their Spa down the road.

Even though the hotel does provide a shuttle to their spa hourly and there are buses going up and down the main highway, I think having a rental car like we had is a good Idea if you want to see Ein Gedi National Park and Masada National Park and do some hikes there

The hotel does have a washing machine for guests to use. It kosts 15 NIS for one load an n 15 NIS for the soap if you did not bring your own. There is no dryer but you do not need one: we had clothelines outside of our room and in the heat most clothing dries in a few hours.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheBirdSpokane
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I just returned from a 3-day trip at the Dead Sea, where I made the grave mistake of booking the "romantic room" (anything but that) on the Ein Gedi Country Hotel, to spend a quality weekend with my girlfriend (27-29/3). It is by far one of the worst places I've ever been to and I would sincerely advise anyone against it. The reasons are numerous:
1. The location is not as ideal as one might imagine, judging from the web site. It is better than the surrounding desert for sure, although this doesn't say much.
2. Our "romantic" room could have been romantic 20 or 30 years ago, but now it is just a room that needs renovation BADLY. The fridge was smelly, the curtains were dirty and not properly attached (they literally fell when we tried to open them), the TV was an '80's model at best, there was nothing attractive except from a decent jakuzzi (which was decorated with hair deriving fron previous customers that nobody bothered cleaning).
3. Coming to the issue of cleaning: Nobody cleaned the roon during our short stay. The only thing that happened was that some russian lady knocked on our door yesterday morning to hand me over two towels and a toilet paper, and that was it. When I returned later on and noticed that the room was in the exact same condition I asked the receptionist why that happened and he said that the room had been cleaned but he always call the cleaning ladies. A bit late since it was already 8.30 p.m., I replied.
4. Which brings me to the issue of politeness. The employees of this hotel (with very few exceptions) are NOT familiar with terms such as kindness and politeness. The front desk leads the way, followed by the waitresses at the restaurant. They all had this "why should I care" attitude. Usually, when one departs from a hotel, the employee at the front desk asks him whether he had a nice time, if he enjoyed his stay, all sorts of questions that professionals ask. That was not the case with the Ein Gedi amateurs. As long as they got paid, a cold thank you was enough.
5. The food was nothing to cheer for. Lots of quantity, low quality, especially the meat and the desserts were a total failure.
6. My stay would have been a bit better had the hotel PC for guests (at an extra charge, another sign of amateurism) be working. That, again, was not the case. "It is out of order", was the official reply.
7. By the way, if you ever book a room at the hotel and ask for something as complicated as a bottle of wine with two glasses to be brought to your room, you will receive a negative answer from the reception, because "we do not provide such a service".
8. As regards the botanical garden and the mini zoo of the hotel, they are ok for people who come from Nevada and the likes, but for anyone with a better sense of flora and fauna, the place is nowhere close to interesting.
9. In a nutshell, 250 $ a night are far too much to spend on Ein Gedi. I wouldn't visit the place again even for 1/3 of the price. I am sure that are better places in the Dead Sea.

George from Greece

#11 of 17 in Ein Bokek
Leonardo Inn Hotel Dead Sea
Leonardo Inn Hotel Dead Sea
#13 of 17 in Ein Bokek

Been to Ein Gedi Hotel? Share your experiences!