“All you need is a night”

Ein Gedi - Beit Sarah Guest House
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here one night and were totally happy with our stay. The bus driver was kind enough to drive us a little extra from the kibbutz to the hostel, which was nice because it's kind of all by itself. ATMs, food stores, etc. are all at the kibbutz which is pretty inconvenient. One member of our group had an Israeli passport and was the one who booked the hostel for us. Because of this, we were hit with an 18% tax on the room despite the rest of us being American. This made the price a little expensive for us considering we were backpacking and on a strict budget. The room we stayed in was spacious, clean, and had an incredible view of the Dead Sea though. One day we swam in the Dead Sea, the next we hiked in Ein Gedi, and then we were off to the next place, feeling like we had seen everything, so one night here is all you need. The employees there were very helpful and gave us a discount to the Ein Gedi park, which is an easy five minute walk from the hostel. Breakfast was really good compared to other places we had stayed, but don't expect too much. Ibeks casually walked around the grounds too, which was interesting to see. Definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: If you are a non-Israeli traveling with an Israeli/dual citizen, book the rooms yourself to avoid a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Location : Hard to miss unless you follow Google Map Beit Sarah location which seems to be totally wrong at the time of review.
It Used to be call Beit Sarah Hostel, but it's simply Ein Gedi Hostel hostel now (the closest to Nahal David Ein Gedi Reserve).
Rooms were Ok, the terrace view on the kineret was nice. Breakfast was pretty poor in my opinion. Breakfast closes at 10:30 am, check out time is at 11 AM.
Check In personnel was VERY nice and with lots of usefull informations (places to eat, discount for the nature reserve, beach to go to...etc..).
It's not a Hotel, it's a Hostel... so taking that into account, experience was very good.
Free parking.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

If you are looking for value and want a place to sleep, but you spend your time traveling around the Dead Sea area, Beit Sarah Guest House is the place. Nice, modern, clean, a place to get some rest after a long-day of touring around the Dead Sea area. Great location to Dead Sea (across the street), Masada (17 km), Wadi David Falls (next door), etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Morris M
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I decided to go with the kids to a short travel in the Dead Sea.
We decided to stay overnight in a cheap hotel, and return the next day to the North.
The hotel itself is located opposite the beach with a bus stop at the entrance.
All rooms have a sea view in a quiet and pleasant Atmosphere.
The rooms are simple, clean & equipped in accordance with well-maintaine
Breakfast is delicious and not grandiose as customary in hotels in the israel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fridmr
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in a room with 5 beds. I shared it with 3 other girls the first night and had the room to myself the second night. We had a balcony overlooking the Dead Sea which was beautiful (and seems most rooms look towards the sea). It was a basic room but had all the necessities, so for the price (about $28/night) you can't beat it. There was a desk, a hot water dispenser to make coffee and storage for your things. And I saw a few buses of kids arrive and expected it to get loud but the noise level at night was quiet. Also, there is free wifi (the code is on a welcome letter or you can ask). You get a towel upon check in (and they left me a new one the second night after they had cleaned). Also had separate room for the shower and the toilet. As well as 2 sinks. The only tricky thing is we had only 2 keys for 4 girls. We just left the key at the front if we were going to be gone long. The free breakfast was a nice variety of food. Eggs, cereal, some sort of veggies. And I didn't have dinner but it seemed decent enough for about 50sheckles. There is a public beach just up the road (you could probably walk there in 10 minutes) that has a kiosk open 24hours where you can get drinks, snacks and sandwiches. Further down is the Sea and Spa, I recommend going there (you can take the bus) - it has mud baths, sulfur pools and showers as well as a nice pool to lounge around. I also think the beach by the sea there I better than the public one. If you have a car (or maybe you can go by bus) drive towards Massada and go about 15 min further and you'll arrive at the resort area where there's more restaurants and shopping and lots of beach areas. Overall it was a pleasant stay, the whole place is gated so I felt safe leaving my stuff in the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed one night with my partner in a flat overlooking the Dead Sea. Dinner wasn't anything amazing but it was good value for money (approx £10 per person) and it was a buffet so there was something for everyone. Likewise breakfast was also varied and a great opportunity to chat to other guests and swap travel tips. Dead Sea is about a 10-15min walk, we drove down early in the morning when there is no parking charge for a quick dip as the waters are much better early in the day when they are still cool. The national park is literally a few steps away, had a great time splashing about in Wadi David and taking photos of the local wildlife. If you need groceries there is the kibbutz/botanical garden about a 5 minute drive away and you can stock up on food stuffs for the fridge in your room or for driving (we were travelling down to eilat). There is also free wifi, just ask at reception for the 4 digit code.

Noticed other reviewers complain that the dining room staff are too personal, didn't find this to be the case at all, also as someone who grew up in Israel, the general attitude of most Israelis is happy and open (unless they work in the service industry then it is a potluck :p). It's not unusual to be asked 'what's up?' If you have a face like sour milk and be told to smile more.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AimeeDY
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my third stay at the Beit Sarah Guest House. This year, however, I found it slightly more "neglected" than the previous visits.
We stayed for a week in one of the "flats"/rooms which has 5 single beds and it's own balcony overlooking the Dead Sea.
I have noticed that the floors were not kept clean, and I finally borrowed a broom from the kitchen staff to sweep the flat and balcony.
The rooms are basic but general clean. I like the nice direct light coming into the rooms, the beds are comfortable, the bedding clean and the view is just wonderful!

Another issue this year was that I find some of the dinning room staff overly friendly and sometimes even way to personal. I was told that my sister and I are "weird", because we were not so talkative and loud as some of the other groups from other countries. She was numerously asked why she is not smiling and was told how she should be more happy....even though she is going through a very rough time in her life. This happened almost ever morning during breakfast.
I find that it is way to personal and the dinning room staff is not so professional as the reception staff. The reception staff is always very helpful and professional.

But saying all of this, I will ALWAYS go back to this place. It is wonderful value for your money and has a wonderful view if you stay in the flats! You are about 10 min walk from the swimming area at the Dead Sea and the better swim area, at Ein Bokek, is easily reachable if you catch a Egged bus from the bus stop just outside Ein Gedi Youth Hostel.

A very good place in general.

Room Tip: The "flats" are the best option to stay, because you have a wonderful balcony with a view...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
#13 of 17 in Ein Bokek
Crowne Plaza Dead Sea
Crowne Plaza Dead Sea
#8 of 17 in Ein Bokek

Been to Ein Gedi - Beit Sarah Guest House? Share your experiences!