TripAdvisor
Caesarea
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews guest house wonderful place home cooked meal book in advance a great experience village arab volunteers project az history tour israel jewish beaches coast sea
Selected filters
Reviewed October 30, 2015

I went to Jisr with another American-Israeli friend to get away from Tel Aviv for a weekend. The experience there stripped away some of my cynicism and reminded me of why I moved to Israel in the first place.

We took a train/taxi to Caesarea beach, then enjoyed a really beautiful sunset hike up the beach to Jisr. When we entered the village we were blown away by how friendly everyone was to us. Our room at the hostel was very clean, and we enjoyed chatting with the management staff. The local hummus was of course among the best in Israel, and we were a bit shocked by how affordable everything is in the village compared to Tel Aviv. The next morning we went to hang out on the beach between Jisr and Ma'agan Michael. It was blissfully devoid of people. We spent hours there, and it was easily the most relaxing beach experience I've had in Israel after years of living here.

Jisr is a village that is struggling to advance socioeconomically. The village itself might not be the cleanest or most picturesque in the country, but it is proof that the vast majority of the Arab population of Israel is very interested in living side by side with its Jewish neighbors.

Staying in the hostel at Jisr and meeting locals is a small step forward in bettering this country. I can't wait to come back again and stay for longer, maybe teach some English to some of the local kids, etc.

You won't have a complete understanding of Israel today unless you visit this village.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank מיכאל ד
Reviewed October 30, 2015

It's so good there is a possibility to visit Jisr az-Zarqa. Seen from the highway to Haifa I always wondered how it is there. The reception is friendly, the rooms are clean and safe and the coffee in the bar is good. We had dinner with a local family and love the food. For breakfast we bought bread in the local bakery and some youghourt in the mini market. Most important is that we got aquainted with people from Jisr, talked to them and learned about the history, economy and difficulties of the town.
We certainly come back.

Room tip: There is a room with private bath
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank portoferraio1
Reviewed October 19, 2015

Great hostel, clean spacious, excellent food available upon request at a decent price, fascinating locale, 25 minute hike to a beach which is also a nature preserve, (the chicken sandwich at the last restaurant before the beach was also really decent with excellent fresh side salads that got refilled as we emptied them.) 15(?) kilometers of unspoiled sand, sun and surf. A little noisy at night in the village of Jisr, but the noise is also interesting, the last night we were there an excellent live band, (or perhaps it was just a really, really excellent HipHop DJ with a lot of chops) performed at an engagement party down the street. The music was rhythmic, jazzy and became more and more serene and peaceful as the night progressed until we (and perhaps all the party guests) fell asleep to the mesmerizing sounds. The staff was also really helpful for helping us get acquainted with the local area.

Room tip: Best view is from the front room on top.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Jonathan F
Reviewed September 28, 2015

I had a privilege to be the first volunteer at the guesthouse and I went on a journey deep inside the village accompanied by Neta and Ahmad and it was the best place to volunteer, because I felt very respected, supported and totally safe. I have visited Juha's Guesthouse two times more: during the winter in 2015, when I just stayed there to have a little rest while finishing my old project (I met Genevieve back then) and in April 2015, together with a group of Polish tourists who were taking part in my tramping trip to Israel and West Bank. Juha's Guesthouse was always THE PLACE: one of the most interesting and inspiring initiatives in the area. Besides that, it's a cozy and affordable place to stay, offering a very good service. Totally recommended.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Olja A
Reviewed September 28, 2015

My wife and I spent two nights at Juha's Guesthouse in August. Its amenities were on-par with the hostels we stayed at in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem (but for much cheaper). The people of Jisr Az-Zarqa were friendly (though seemingly surprised at our being there) and would frequently stop their cars or stop us on the street and tell us that we were welcome. We paid for the traditional meal through the Guesthouse and really enjoyed it. The grocery store across the street had a decent selection of essentials. The bakery was great. The sandwich shop near the beach was good and the proprietor was helpful and friendly. We went for fish at Musa's restaurant. The place was overrun by a photography club who had arrived to take photos of the sunset. The view was that beautiful. The fish at Musa's was delicious and the portions were massive. We spent most of our time at the beach. Most of the beach is littered with trash, but not so much that it put us off from swimming in it. The designated swimming area was free of litter and is manned by lifeguards. Our last morning, the owner of Juha's Guesthouse gave us a lift to the bus stop up the highway so that we could continue on to Jerusalem. Overall, a wonderful place to visit and stay.

Room tip: I'd recommend the air conditioned private rooms
Date of stay: August 2015