The SnowMansion Taos Hostel Ski Lodge Inn & Campground
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed there once, several years ago, summer [2013 date below was closest the system allowed me to choose].
Had thot it had charm; name cute.
This place has great potential...but...
Glad only one night. Glad few others there. Glad not ski-season!
This is old-school hostel--really laid-back--I liked that.
Those running desk were either absent, or occupied; not much for talking or answering questions or concerns.
Was quoted one price by phone; but a few hours later on arrival, had to quibble to get that, as the desk then tried charging high-season rates.
Paid dearly for a multi-bed room; very worn, not-sure-if-it-was-really-clean linen.
Bathroom needed maintenance--not talking update--just basic plumbing needed fixed; there was no cleaning stuff to use, and no plunger, faucet handles iffy, poor lighting.
The whole place needed cleaning--I know this is a dusty region, but..?
[[if they'd had cleaning equipment that worked, available, I'd have cleaned the bathroom & bedroom--but for the price charged, hey--even cheap motels have maid service!]]
Windows needed repairs to allow easier opening to get fresh air.
There was a gas leak somewhere near the kitchen; Mgt tried hard to ignore/deny---it was enough to be almost choking, trying to use kitchen or passageway to door near there---sure hope THAT was fixed!
"Abominable" seemed to fit at that time.
But it was easy to get a bed for the night, if ya don't count mgt. fowl-ups
--there were plenty beds to choose from, since hardly anyone using that during summer season.

Room Tip: I had room closer to kitchen--it was also close to bathroom; worked for me for one nite. Bring own...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Chimonger
SnowManNewMexico, Owner at The SnowMansion Taos Hostel Ski Lodge Inn & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. You mention that your review is from a few years ago. Please come again. I think you find it much improved.

Best regards, Amu 575-776-8298

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed here while skiing Taos. Very nice people with a very relaxed vibe in keeping with the entire Taos area. Friendly from the second you step in the door. A little disorganized, but in a charming way. Perfect for outdoorsy types, it is about 5 or 10 miles outside of the Taos area, on the way up into the mountains.

This hostel is worth hanging out in. Chat with some European backpackers, local Taoseños, and ski bums. Pet a cat or two (or three). Drink some coffee at the fire place or play a game of pool in the living room. Find out some insider tips about places to go and things to see.

The best part of staying here is that it is so convenient to the Taos Ski Valley! The Snowmansion gets booked up during the height of ski season so reserve ahead.

The bunks are sort of rickety and the furniture is pretty worn. Everything is very clean though, and the bathrooms are in surprisingly good shape. If it is crowded it can get noisy, but there is a "quiet time" enforced at 10 pm so it won't interfere with sleep. In the summer they also have camping available.

If you are not familiar with European-style backpacker hostels, be prepared for a fun new experience. If you know and love hostelling, this place will make you feel right at home!

Room Tip: Single rooms are available as well as bunks and camping.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I actually made reservations here for a single room because I just did not want to deal with the tourist suffocation in the city of Taos. I picked the right place.

The hostel is in the small village of Arroyo Seco, about 12 miles north of Taos, (on the ski route). This town had a nice mix of the old Hispano Nuevo Mejico with the newer art gallery-food coop-yoga center-sustainable living-hippie-ski boarder residents. The cultural mix worked well, and one saw it at the hostel that has attracted travelers from other parts of the country.

The wifi worked fine and I had a large room all to myself. The hot shower worked and the bathroom was plain and fine. One has to pay on-line and then one pays when they arrive. The room did have lots of other bunk beds stored inside of it, so there was that smell of a used and musty old room, but for around 50$US, one has to deal.

What I really liked about this hostel was the meal program. When I arrived, I was told by the staff that they have community meals and they get their food from the community garden. The hostel residents liked cooking up dinners for the travelers stopping in. In all of my many years of staying in Youth Hostels - and especially in Europe, North America, South America, North Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia - I have never seen such a thing before. I was impressed. I went to the dinner and they only asked for a donation.

I first tried the food and there was a lot of it on the kitchen counter. I had the chicken soup and then piled on a nice dish with a spattering of all of the plates. The cooks that were staying in the hostel had prepared at least seven different dishes. I ate everything. With the fresh ingredients mostly from the local garden and the rest from the local food coop that was only a block away - the food was delicious. I enjoyed the meal and I got to talk with the main cook there who was a very nice woman from Washington State. After a day wandering around Taos Pueblo and the Taos city, this was great. I went back to room in feeling good about eating some delicious food.

I would definitely return here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank James F
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have actually stayed here before, and loved it, and was looking forward to another stay. So we booked a room for a night, and were made totally aware of the cancellation policy (no refunds).

Then, we were caught in the severe flooding that took place in Boulder earlier this year. For obvious reasons, our travel plans changed. But when we called to see if they'd make an exception to their refund policy for flood victims, we were told no. I was pretty baffled, but preoccupied with other things, so I followed up later with a phone call and email. Still haven't heard any response.

It's only $28 bucks, and really it's the least of our worries. But it was extremely disappointing and left me with a really bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank kjsharp83

Dear Guest,

I am glad you stayed here before and enjoyed it. I hope you will stay here again and I am sure you will enjoy it. As you know, when cancelling with short notice, you are responsible for the entire cost of stay. However, because it was due to a well documented natural disaster, we did not hold you to the balance due. We lost half of the cost of stay and you lost half of the cost of stay. This is fair.

I am sorry again that your travel plans were interrupted by the flooding in Boulder. I hope you visit us again soon.

Best regards,
Amu
575-776-8298

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed at the Snow Mansion as a base to run our art project and immediately fell in love with the warmth and community based at the hostel. Wonderful living space, clean rooms, great well stocked kitchen full of every utensil you would ever need to cook inside or outside on the campfire ( when the fire ban is lifted) and amazing organic garden and space to camp in tents or in a Tippee! Everyone should spend at least a night if not more, to soak in the high desert mountain air, visit a hot water spring or just enjoy the bustling village of Arroyo Seco. Fantastic for families - our two boys loved the garden and company. Perfect base to visit all the sights and sounds of new Mexico.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Helen K
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This hostel is very laid back, old-school style. It feels like you are staying in someone's home. A lot of people come in for skiing but there is plenty to do in Taos (hot springs, pueblos, gorge, snowmobiling, etc..).

The Taos Vortex sucked me in for New Years when we sat around sipping wine by the fireplace in the lodge. I left for a few days and came back again only to get stuck longer than expected. Not a problem!

The dorms are large enough that you don't feel cramped. There is a pool table, piano, and hang out areas. Two kitchens - one with tv and video games and a campfire area outside. Arroyo Seco is a cute little town with a few shops and a bar or two. Very local feel.

There is a donation box for homemade soups and herbal teas and someone is always cooking something.

Don't expect anything fancy and be patient with the office hours (it seems that they are closed more than they are open). Be aware there are two cats as well :) Overall a really charming place that you should visit. Skip the hotels and save some cash - you'll be glad you did!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently had a delightful stay at this little hostel nestled in the mountains slightly north of Taos in the town of Arroyo Seco. The rooms are comfy and cozy and the prices are reasonable. There is free internet and a charming common area. The kitchen area is clean, and the other guests were friendly. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. I look forward to going back sometime in the summer to see their vegetable garden. It is close to good eating establishments and some nice artist shops.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
16 mi away
Best Western Rivers Edge
Best Western Rivers Edge
#1 of 9 in Red River

Been to The SnowMansion Taos Hostel Ski Lodge Inn & Campground? Share your experiences!