“Good food and nice view”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Segara Villas

Segara Villas
Ranked #119 of 174 Hotels in Lombok
Cowansville, Canada
“Good food and nice view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

We spent two nights there in January and we had a very nice time. The food was great, and the service also. Everything, from the breakfast pancakes to the amazing "Segara chicken" was great. We had the mezzanine villa, which was simply gorgeous ! The bed, the view and the bathroom were the highlights. We had the pool to ourselves, so it was just perfect ! Beautiful spot on top of a hill, so maybe not the best for people who have some trouble walking... I am a huge dog lover and I can say that the fact that there is 5-6 dogs living there was a little bit intimidating. I would've love to have breakfast outside, but we couldn't get out and enjoy the terrace because there was always 2-3 dogs around, and if you leave the door open, they will come inside ! I love dogs, so I thought it was funny, but it could be annoying for some people. Also, we were there during the rainy season and there was a lot of bugs everywhere, even inside the villa, because half of the villa have open-air windows. But that's nature ! An other bad point was the heat. There is no AC in the mezzanine villa and we had some trouble sleeping because of that, it can get very hot and humid at night, and the tiny fan wasn't enough... But overall, we had a nice time there, very quiet and relaxing, exactly what we wanted. The owner is very helpful, and a very good cook ! He introduced us to a good guide and driver, who took us around the island during our trip in Lombok, even though we were not staying at Segara anymore.

Room Tip: Take a room with AC.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Dominique and Thierry were very helpful and welcoming. There are 6Dogs(well-tranined) and 3Cats

Room Tip: Be sure to use mosquito net when you sleep
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

A great venue on the hills of Senggigi. A beautiful villa, great breakfast. Excellent staff who understand the the thin line between privacy and service. Owned by a French guy, who is very friendly and informative. We rented a motorbike and explored the island from there. The pool is truly amazing, quiet with great views. I would recommend this to everybody looking for a romantic setting and looking for a quiet down to earth place.

Room Tip: The one furthest on the hill has the best views! For sure worth the extra $15.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ADBLPQ
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed at Segara Villas for three nights and it is the most beautiful setting! When we first arrived I was slightly unnerved by the amount of dogs that the owners kept and especially as they are keen to get to know there guests! But they were very looked after and after a while a part of the furniture.

Dominique and Thierry were amazing hosts, who were very relaxed and helpful. We organised a day of snorkelling the Eko, which is one of their friends and had a fantastic day out. Eko was extremely helpful and as a nervous swimmer he put me completely at ease - would higlly recommend this day trip as we went around the three Gili Islands and saw some awesome stuff.

The breakfasts at Segara Villas were one of the best ones that we had on the whole trip and the staff on site are always really helpful, even when we went to the swimming pool they bought us water and our towels.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We had the room right at the top which had the most amazing views - beautiful!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank snunwa
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Dominique and Thierry are very very kind, with a lot of support and advices when needed. Very quiet situation, very beautiful villas, at 5 mn from Senggigi. Staff is very kind and helpful. With only 2 villas, you are "a guest" and not just a customer like in large hotels and resorts.
We really enjoyed our stay and would love to come back. Thanks for all Dominique and Thierry.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Segara Villas had high expectations to meet. As the most expensive accomodation I booked for my trip through Indonesia, and the only one to tip the 50 euro/night price point, it had better be good. I was suspicious before I arrived as I booked online and knew it was European owned. In a town that also has a Novotel, and Holiday Inn, was I asking to be mugged with European prices? Moreover, it's run by a Frenchman and we all know how overpriced it is to go there on your holidays these days....

My anxiety was raised again by having to travel through Bangsal Harbour upon reaching Lombok mainland, which by way of a tip, avoid if you can particularly as the VIllas do free transport from the airport. One hour later, and having pushed a minibus up one of northern Lombok's mountainous roads. I was dropped at Senggigi tourist information who informed there was no such place as Segara Villas in Senggigi. Joy. However, it was relatively quickly established that Segara VIllas are situated in Batu Layar, the southern suburb of Senggigi (tip #2).

I hopped in a taxi, about 5 mins and R10k from Senggigi town centre, and was greeted immediately by a member of staff with the perfect balance of profesionalism and friendliness which wouldn't falter once for the next four nights. He took me and my bags straight to our villa which is sub-divided into two rooms. Instantly, i was charmed. The room oozes a sophisticated style. From the old bird cages on the terrace to the low slung beautiful bed to the scent of the room. Everything was perfect. Two sides of the room are almost entirely glass making the place feel fresh and spacious. A partially outdoor bathroom had similar style - soap wrapped in banana leaf, fresh flowers decorated on the towels. Just very classy.

Functionally, the room was also very good. A large bed with full mosquito nets, equipped with both air-con and robust fan as well as a safe and ample storage space. The one functional thing I felt we lacked was somewhere to hang our wet towels and swim wear. The place was so immaculate it felt wrong draping them over seats or bamboo shields on the terrace.

The property is situated on a hill with three villas. The first is the owners property followed by our villa and finally the other guest villa at the top of the hill. Between the two guest villas there are two levels. One hosts a set of gardens and massage hut whilst the other has a small pool with 5 sun loungers. The pool area offers a wonderful view over the Senggigi bay and on a clear day over to Bali. This also affords an excellent view of the sun setting behind the Agung Volcano.

More about the service. Once my grand tour of the villa, pool, and gardens was complete, I was taken back to my room and shortly after the owner, Terry, came up to welcome me to Segara. He gave me advice on what to do and see and not to hesitate to grab him if I had any questions or problems. A nice touch for him to come and see me.

After popping out for some lunch and a mooch around Senggigi town, I returned to Segara and decided to have a lie by the pool. I'd literally been at the pool less than 2 minutes when Terry came running up the hill with some water for me. This sums up the service experienced throughout the weak, all the staff eager to help in anyway possible - calling taxis, arranging boat registration, recommending restaurants, walking you to your taxi.

A 3 course breakfast is also included and a menu provided each day to select from. This is then freshly prepared for you and served on the terrace. As with everything else, this is done with feverish efficiency, Each morning when we woke up, the table would already been setup for breakfast, coffee either waiting or imminently served and followed, once you are ready, by your selection. The breakfast service really was impeccable.

All in all I am really enthusiastic about this place. I would definitely love to stay again. It was expensive for Indonesia but it was also probably the best value for money accomodation that I have experienced anywhere in the world. Aside of the aforementioned lack of clothes drying space, the only other complaint was the lack of WI-FI which is really is useful for planning trips each day. I'm not sure Senggigi is the greatest place to visit in Lombok. It's a good base for exploring the mountainous north and the northern Gilis (Trawangan, Air etc) but the town itself didnt really inspire me.

Room Tip: Our room was the cheapest but it was really perfect.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank MattyBK
Dalian, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

Segara Villas was one of the places that suprised us most and exceeded all our expectations! It was really amazing! The place is 5 star and you feel like royalty. The breakfast was a highlight in our day(remember to try the pineapple pancakes) and the swimming pool and views was breathtaking! I cannot rave enough about Segara Villas. Sengigi is a small little town with so many nice place to eat at, not much else to do, but amazing food and we didn't need much else because we wanted to stay at the hotel the whole day! This is a little piece of paradise in the middle of Sengigi and the amazing thing, in low season we paid got a lot of discount so for this price you will not be able to stay anywhere else with this high standard.

The attention to detail and staff is amazing. It seemed that they knew when we would be where because as soon as you sit down at the swimming pool, water or cold drinks would be served etc. The owner, a very nice french lady was very helpful and suggested amazing restaurants and even gave us her personal book collection to choose books from and she wanted to even give us an big apartment at the same price but we loved our room so much so we didn't even take her up on her offer.

Remember, hire a bike and drive all around on your own, it is up on the hill, but taxi's also available. She also has many dogs and a beautiful cat, so don't stay here if you don't like animals, we fell in love with the cat!

We would love to go back one day! Thank you for such an amazing time!

Room Tip: All rooms looked amazing
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple