“great place. Uber disorganised staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lombok
Heaven On The Planet
Ranked #112 of 800 Specialty Lodging in Lombok
Reviewed August 1, 2012

There seemed to be a complete lack of organisation! we were not really greeted when we arrived, had no idea where everything was (room, beach etc), no idea about tours. The only time we were really spoken to was when we were leaving (after a decent length stay) and were told "oh you guys are leaving already"

I think the owners were away for a while and the proxy team of management seemed to be either surfing or chilling on their computers. Sweet job for them! Really, we have travelled extensively and love remote but have never come across such a weird vibe. I mean, we don't need to be waited upon at all but this was extreme!

Having said that food was really good, the locals were super cool and the surf wasn't too bad at all.

From looking at previous reviews I would have to guess things would be much better when the owners are in house.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank poe78
wavesinekas, Owner at Heaven On The Planet, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

We apologise that you were not greeted properly. Our staff are trained to greet all our guests and have a welcome letter from us to give each and every guest so that everything you need is explained properly.Usually our staff are very friendly and welcoming so we are not sure why they did not welcome you properly. We will continue to train staff so this doesn't happen again.

Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

I'm surprised by the number of positive reviews of this place. I stayed here on a 5 day surf trip with two mates. I guess if the swell was pumping you might forgive the resort deficiencies, but in our case it was flat. We bailed to gili islands after 3 days of hell.

We arrived to be led to the restaurant area by our driver. 40 min later we were still waiting..... Do we just look for keys & show ourselves to the rooms?

When I finally got there my room was absolutely disgusting - the bathroom was covered in leaves that had blown through the hole in the roof. Bugs everywhere. I woke at about midnight the first night and both beds were completely covered in ants. I mean black with them!

This place is a complete rip off, and uses the phrase 'Eco resort' as an excuse to provide bad facilities and over charge for them.

Stay here at your peril!

• Stayed: August 2011
9  Thank Has443
wavesinekas, Owner at Heaven On The Planet, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thanks for your review. We have a number of positive reviews because we have a wonderful place that most people enjoy. We are sorry you weren’t greeted properly, we have initiated more training so this doesn’t happen again. Usually, this never happens.
None of our rooms are absolutely disgusting. We have an opening in all bathrooms as in the tropics its good to let some air in to dry the open shower area. Sometimes leaves are blown in. The rooms are cleaned every second day and more if you ask. We are in a remote location, sometimes there are bugs. Sorry about the ants, we are living in a location where there is a lot of nature. Our staff would have come and changed the beds, mattresses and all if requested. We have lived here for the last three years and before that intermittently traveling back and forth from New Zealand and its never happened to us. I can think of probably two other occasions where this has happened in the last 12 years to other guests. It is a rare occurrence and obviously not one that we want for guests but again, we are in a natural environment.
We are not a complete rip off. We provide accommodation, return transfers, 3 meals per day, a boat to the surf, use of all our equipment surfboards, SUPs, kayaks, snorkeling equipment, mountain bikes, TV monitors with DVD players, Indo Sat TV in a communal area for guests as many want to watch international sports, water (as we are not on a supply), electricity (we are not on the grid) all in a very beautiful and remote location with no help from any authority. We have initiated many eco projects including reforestation to combat illegal felling of trees in forests in our district, water dams to provide water for the village as well as for our own use, artificial reefs to promote aquaculture in the Bay to combat depleting fish stocks taken from the Bay by illegal coral bombing. Dr Black, the owner, also brought to the Bay funding from the New Zealand Government to assist with poverty alleviation in the district by way of an aquaculture project which to this day is still assisting the local people. This record stands. It is documented and if this reviewer looked to Ekas Village he or she would have seen the fish farming that has resulted from this project. Before we came here the local people were absolutely improverished. There are numerous other projects that make our place much more eco than any other we know of in Lombok. Its all on our website and its all around you when you come here. Take some time to find out about it before you make an assumption about our eco status. Further, listen to your own heart, if the surf had been pumping, you wouldn’t have worried about the ants in your pants or in your bed. Fortunately, most of our guests know about and respect the hard work that has gone into this project. Most guests appreciate what has been done to not only provide a wonderful place for guests to surf and to come and enjoy as well as the assistance that has been given to the local staff and village. That is why we have so many positive reviews, we have a beautiful location and we are doing good work and most of our guests love being part of that.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 week trip to Indonesia and spent 20 days in Lombok and 10 days in South of Bali surfing the breaks from Uluwatu to Balangan. I travelled with my wife and our 19 month old baby girl. We have been to Indo a few times before and like to move around and never spent longer than a week at one place at a time. Of all the places we stayed HOTPlanet was by far the best all round experience, in fact we had such a good time there that we stayed for a week and then spent a few days in the Gillis when the swell was flat and then went back for another week. Lets face it there are many beautiful places to stay in Indo and many great surf spots to chose from. Its often the people that make the difference and the staff at HOTPlanet and Ocean Heavan were hands down the best of our entire trip as in the most personable, the warmest, charming and they were AMAZING with our little daughter. We also stayed at the 5 star Novotel in Kuta Lombok where the staff are trained in 5 star service however given the choice we would chose HOT and Heavan any day as their staff have great heart and great humour and if your polite to them they will do anything for you. As far as the pricing goes we think its great value for money, all you can eat, massages, transfers, surf boards, SUPs and boats what else can you ask for! I imagine that Heavan on the Planet is slightly more expensive because there are only 5 bungalows there and so it must be more expensive to run than HOTPlanet.
We enjoyed the company of the other guests many of whom are multi returning customers and have formed friendships that Im sure will be lasting. Moira and Kerry were great and did everything they could to make our trip a memorable stay. Sure they are direct and to the point but they are great hosts and never short of time for a good yarn and Kerry's always keen to come for a surf. The food is fab, CJ is doing a great job with the kitchen, the menu has excellent variety and for our entire stays it was situation normal for the intestines department . . and that certainly wasnt the case for Bali. On top of the great people you will meet there is inside Ekas, Outside Ekas and the Southern Reefs which are all uncrowded breaks with waves for the intermediate through to advanced. For sure the location is remote and with that come challenges for Kerry and Moira but I think they do a superb job and if you want a really wholesome experience where you get a chance to mix with great staff, hosts and guests then this place is more 5 star than most!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Andy S
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The best thing about a holiday in Heaven is that it just gets better each time. My surfing hubby and I came here last April and had been dreaming of coming back ever since - and what a great welcome back by the staff who knew us - made us feel like family - thanks guys (and girls)! We especially asked for our favourite cliff-top chalet - as the views are to die for- and Kerry and Moira kindly obliged. This place is breath-taking...you feel like you're standing of the top of the world where time stands still. The sound of the waves crashing gently on the beach below mixed with the faraway put-put of the fishermen's motors on the bay soothe your senses. Needless to say I usually sleep deeply and end my holiday totally refreshed.
HotP is far from the usual up-market resort that is so readily available throughout Bali and in other busier areas of Lombok. It IS remote, so be prepared to accept (and enjoy) all the things that come with this label. Electricity will soon (if not already) reach this far corner of Lombok, so pumping water to the showers and cooling under fans at night will no longer cause problems for some guests or the management. Cold showers are always refreshing however, as the temperature here is warm to hot all year round. Because of inquisitive monkeys, the bathrooms which are open to the sky of necessity need to have wire covering them, but this makes them no less delightful or enjoyable. Chalets are built with natural fibres and we especially love the soft sound of rain on the grass roof. It IS classed as eco-friendly, so the geckos, lizards, birds, monkeys (who frolic in the waves at the beach every evening), all live in harmony with HotPlanet guests and local villagers. Also unlike other resorts, here there are no crowds - the waves and the beaches are yours alone.
Talking about waves, they were once again very consistent and offered choices depending on your daily energy/enthusiasm levels. One day the report went like this "best surf yet - only two of us out and we must have caught 100 waves non-stop - so clear and glassy it was hard to see the face of the wave!" While the surfers were out, I was happy to jump onto one of the SUP's provided at the beach hut and explore the beach inlets around the bay - almost made it to the nearby fish-farming village one day until driven back by an oncoming storm - spectacular fun! Ya-Ya was also happy to take me out to the surf break one day in the boat and drop me off with the SUP where I could take some great surf photos. We snorkeled, swam, paddled, trekked through the surrounding countryside to Ocean Heaven and back (swam while there in crystal blue warm water on the amazing, pristine white sand beach where we ate our packed picnic lunch).
It was so much more than just a holiday for us. We met new and interesting people from all parts of the globe, shared stories after dinner by candlelight with a backdrop of stars and moonlight on the bay - and always with great music! We were welcomed by the friendly local villagers and their gorgeous children and invited in to have coffee (thanks Masni), met Suppa's lovely wife and baby daughter and had lots of fun attempting to learn the local lingo.
I must mention the food as there are no nearby shops if you were thinking of buying your own! Don't worry - HotP's menu caters for all tastes and dietary needs and although I had my favourites, there was always something else tempting wafting past - too many to try them all. Plenty of fresh fruit and vegies in season - sometimes slow in coming, but always worth the wait and cooked fresh. No need to hurry in Heaven.
We're planning our return already with other family members in tow this time including our grandchildren - all water and nature lovers, who want to experience a true, authentic Lombok holiday. Thanks to Kerry, Moira and your wonderful staff for another memorable stay. Can't wait to see you all again and be back there.

Room Tip: Our favourite chalet for two people is 'Srikaya' on the cliff top. You may prefer to be near...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Great surf for all levels. Good food and good company. The sun is brutal so get that rash guard out. Can't beat HOTP for a nice surf holiday. Bugs are expected but we are in a jungle so hard to complain about that. Will be back as soon as I can.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Ok... so I've been to HOTP a couple of times before (and loved it), so I'm probably a bit biased, however, this time I brought my wife. It was a bit of a concern for me as I usually surf here for hours and I was worried that she might find it a bit boring.

No so.... she had a great time. Of course, you can just sit by the pool, chill out or read, but Caroline (not being a "water person") was off walking all over the place and probably seeing more of the area than I have.

There were heaps of tracks and trails and she actually walked all the way to the beach at Southern Reef (after getting a local villager to help show the way).

As usual, the waves were great (especially my solo surfs at Outside Ekas) between 4-8' all the time, the HOTP food was also great (fresh, local produce) and cooked to order.

After heaps of surfing / walking, the (included with package) massages were greatfully accepted and enjoyable as were the big, cold Bintangs.

Kerry arranged a dinner on the beach one night for all the guests - don't miss this if you have the opportunity to do it - sunset, drinks, BBQ food, music, bonfire under tropical stars.

It was great to see Kerry (owner) again although due to a coral cut I didn't get s surf with him this time, also great to see Dee Dee, Supa and the crew there again.

All up - another great time at HOTP - you know I'll be back.

Room Tip: If there's more than 2 of you - try to get "Jati", a bigger villa with views, otherwis...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dokken
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Two friends and I spent two weeks in Bali and we were in dire need to get away from the claustrophobic rat-race of Kuta. We have now realised that Lombok is the ‘real’ Indonesia. We decided to go to Ocean’s Heaven because we heard about the awesome backdrop. What we heard was right. We arrived in the dark, but we woke up to the most amazing surroundings. It is by far the most beautiful place I saw when I travelled Indonesia.

I am a novice surfer and got a surf lesson from the owner (Kerry). My friends and I had such an awesome time out surfing in Ekas bay. It was challenging enough but not too scary. The expert surfers go somewhere else so there was plenty of room for us to muck up. Kerry helped us catch some really cool waves. He was really patient with us... especially when we took ages to paddle back behind the waves. Haha

Another highlight was the food! They had a really fresh and yummy menu, especially since they have to truck everything in. We were luckily because one of my friends is a vegetarian and they had a specific vegetarian menu – she was rather excited about it as she normally only gets one option.

The staff were all locals from the nearest village which gave it a nice local vibe. They were always friendly and willing to help.

I also really liked the fact that Ocean’s Heaven has an eco-focus. As a ‘greenie’ myself, I really appreciated the fact that they look after and embrace the environment surrounding them. Don’t expect some insensitive commercial resort plonked in the middle of nowhere. This place is unique and accommodates for the surrounding land, people and environment.

Ocean’s Heaven was defiantly the highlight of our trip. We had beautiful weather, amazing views, scrumptious food, and friendly service. Thank you for such and relaxing and peaceful time.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends