“Unspoilt Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Heaven On The Planet

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lombok
Heaven On The Planet
Ranked #94 of 637 Specialty Lodging in Lombok
Hamilton
“Unspoilt Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Ocean Heaven is undoubtedly the most beutiful place I have ever been. To get an idea of how stunning a place this is you really have to go there - a picture just wouldn't do it justice. We spent around a month in Indonesia and our best memories from that trip are definatly from Oceans Heaven. Prior to being at Oceans Heaven we had been in Bali and it was so nice to go somewhere relaxing and secluded. While we had plently of time to relax at Oceans heaven and take in the amazing scenery there was also heaps of stuff to do (if you like the outdoors, which we do!). We spent alot of our time at Oceans heven in the water surfing and trying out stand up paddle boarding. My surfing skills left alot to be desired but after the lesson fromn Kerry (one of the owners) I was surfing better than I ever had before. The surf in Ekas is amazing, and it was so nice having the bech basically all to ourselves.

The staff at Oceans Heaven were really great, we never felt like anything was to much trouble. The food was also some of the best we has in indonesia ( I would recomend the vegetable samosas and the sea food nasi goreng). While in indonesia I had quite a few massages but the one I had at Oceans Heaven was definatly the best! I would definatly recomend getting one while there, especially after a day of surfing.

Ocean Heaven is not like any other resorts we have stayed in. In such a beutliful location it would be a shame to plonk a sprawling flashing resort right on the bech. In the case of Oceans Heaven however it blends into and furthermore compliments the surrounding landscape. This is one of the best things about Oceans Heaven, the owners seem really committed to preserving and looking after the unspoilt enviroment.

All in all our stay at Oceans Heaven was super. Everything from the surf, the views, the rooms and the staff was top notch. If you are looking for a relaxed holiday in an unspolit tropical paradise (actually quite hard to come by these days) you should definatley check this place out!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

A friend of mine recommended HOTP 2010 to me during a surfing trip in spain telling me this would be the most awesome location in the world for uncrowded surfing. So I booked three weeks straight with my girlfriend.
Heaven on the planet is one of the most sensational places which boasts an unbelievable view from the porch of your cottage but as another reviewer said earlier you can only enjoy the view for so long.The surfing breaks are really good, inside Ekas is a nice mellow wave even when it gets big and outsides Ekas is a pretty heavy break for the advanced surfers among us.
Now let's talk about the downsides.
If you call your place Heaven on the Planet in my opinion it has to be ... well, heaven on the planet. For me this is not. If I think of the places I visited around the world, there is only one that I would consider heaven on the planet (accommodation and food wise) and this is Horizon Hotel in Santa Teresa, Costa Rica. I compare these two because I was lucky enough to visit both of them in the same year and after a sensational experience in CR I thought "Wow, if this is Horizon what the hell is Heaven on the Planet going to be like?"
Don't get me wrong, everything in HOTP is alright ... the rooms, the food, the long drinks ... but just alright and sometimes not even that (e.g. the cocktail I had). It is not heaven on the planet at least that's what we and many other guests we met there concluded.
If the wave is running you'll be forgiving about all these things but if not ... well, I got pretty annoyed with the remote location, the alright food, the bad cocktail and the rooms after a week of flat seas- especially since it is pretty expensive I think. I never have a problem with paying for good quality but I have a problem when I get the feeling that I don't get my money's worth. Of course one could say that since it is such a remote location they have to take everything there and so on and maybe it is like this - and maybe not.
I asked the owners if we could leave early and get a refund but they stated it is not their policy.
Stupid me for paying in advance - first and last time I ever did that. Don't get me wrong: Moira and Kerry are both very nice and they even let us stay in their place in the Gillis which they wouldn't have had to do (and it was brilliant) but somehow I never felt at home there.Especially since I couldn't leave earlier (in the end I did by selling my leftover days to a friend, they let me do that but of course I had to sell cheaper)
I wouldn't go there again - if you have to go exactely to this location rather go to Ocean Heaven which is also run by Moira and Kerry but has (a little)higher standards.
I for my taste - will definitely go somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: jati is the best
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jonny r
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Brilliant spot, a real gem - especially if you are a surfer. My partner and I spent Christmas 2011 at Heaven on the Ocean (smaller sister resort to Heaven on the Planet). We had great food, great surf and great company too... loved the intimate feeling of the resort and enjoyed our time with the owners and the other guests.
The friendly staff and Kerry & Moira made us feel at home right away and we had loads of laughs sharing stories around the dinner table. Thanks Kerry for taking us to such special surfing spots. Wish our 6 day stay had been longer!
Accomodation was good also. It's a beautiful, remote place - so expect a rustic vibe with a few mosquitos etc. and it's not close to any tourist area of any kind so no pubs/clubs/shops, which suited us fine - plenty of that in Bali.
Heaven still has a a wilderness feel to it which gave a bit of an edge that we enjoyed. Reading some older reviews we think the roads and rooms have been improved recently, we had no issues. Watersports are definitely a big part of the attraction - probably wouldn't suggest it for absolute beginners in surfing (of course theres always the option to just take a couple of good books and relax in the resort or take walks / soak up the scenery). Loved it, we'll be back

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Murray M
wavesinekas, Owner at Heaven On The Planet, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback. Yes, you are right, since the early days we have made some improvements. We are always working towards ensuring our guests have a good time and love to hear from our guests about anything that we can do better. This year we want to bring more specialised spa services to Ocean Heaven and will be planning some special pampering packages for surfers and non surfers. Thanks to you and Sonia for coming to see us and we look forward to having you both back, Moira and Kerry
WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

I visited Heaven on the Planet last July.Like many of the other reviewers I quite enjoyed my visit, though had some issues that I would have liked to have taken up with Kerry and Moira...the owners...except they had decided to have a break then too...fair enough!

HOTP is set in breathtakingly beautiful surroundings. The staff are very friendly and generally very keen to please. The resort is vey clean and well maintained in what is a very remote area.There were times though when it would have been advantageous to have someone a little more fluent in English with the owners being away. The environment lends itself to a very relaxing holiday and this is what I had. I didn't want "a Bali experience" and HOTP doesn't serve one up.

Accommodation is what I expected and I had no complaints except one fairly big one...see below.

Being a surfer I arrived during an unseasonal flat spell which maintained throughout the stay. You can't do much about what nature serves up. However I was more than a little disappointed to see the very limited assistance HOTP gave to surfers to access the 2 local breaks.

I had booked through a surf travel company which promised HOTP would provide free access to 4 breaks. On arrival I found this to be not really true. There are only 2 breaks. HOTP provides rather limited access to Inside and Outside Ekas. There is ONLY 1 boat and surfers compete with other resort visitors, many of whom PAY to use the boat for other resort provided tours. For instance you may wish to go for a surf at Outside Ekas in the afternoon. But experience showed me that if the tide was low or there was a tour on, I wouldn't be getting there unless I paid the resort to get me there another way. This certainly wasn't made clear to me before arrival. I really think the resort could afford to get another small boat ...even a dinghy ...for surf transportation. Yes...I could walk. But believe you me it's a very long, hot walk anywhere away from Inside Ekas.

I do need to take issue with the owners' response to other points made about travel between HOTP and the airport. I admire Kerry and Moira for getting on this website and replying to reviews. More power to them. But I had to laugh when I saw one of their recent posts where they claimed it was a 75 minute journey.

The trip in ...done at night took me two and a half hours and was bone shatteringly rough for much of the trip. So rough...that my surfboard tied to the top of the van was damaged. The trip out done during the day was quicker only taking 2 hours. The time wasn't a problem for me, neither the rough roads. In truth I knew to expect them. But I certainly wasn't happy having my board damaged. Neither was I all that happy being delivered to the wrong resort...Ocean Heaven...I found out the next day when I was wondering where everybody was.

This brings me to my accommodation issues.

The first involved me being delivered to a room in Ocean Heaven without facilities, when I had paid for one with them.

After eventually finding my way to HOTP and settling in, imagine my surprise halfway through my stay on returning to my room after a surf to find that I had been given a room downgrade with absolutely no consultation. I found all my gear delivered to a smaller room with no water stand and no TV/DVD Player.

I really didn't understand the manager's explanation for this. After a quiet conversation I did have the water stand and TV returned. People I'd met, who loved the place and had been there before did say it wouldn't have happened had Kerry and Moira been there. Hopefully not I say.

I also agree with one of the other reviewers who said he was taken by surprise with the hidden costs of non-alcoholic drinks. You and me both mate. I was told I had paid for 3 full meals which I expected included juices, tea etc. Apparently not.

Now credit where credit is due. HOTP has updated their website and some of these issues I and others have mentioned are now spelt out far more clearly and transparently. Third parties such as the STC need to take note and amend their customer notes.

Ultimately I didn't worry about the various road bumps. I concentrated on the whole trip which was really nice considering the lack of swell. I am considering going back, because of the lack of crowds and the low key relaxing life style.

By the way the massages were excellent.

Gary G

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Gary G
wavesinekas, Owner at Heaven On The Planet, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for your review. About the road, you arrived in July, the new asphalt road was built in August. The new airport opened in October. Now the road is good except for the last 3 kms and its about 75 minutes from the airport.

Sorry we don't have any idea why the driver took you down to Ocean Heaven our schedule clearly states where you should have been. Our leading staff now have good English but they can be a bit shy so we have been encouraging them to talk more to guests. We have a programme of English teaching during the year at Planet in the quiet season with professional teachers.

Please contact us about your board as we are surprised to hear about this.

There are five surf breaks at Planet but some only work on the bigger swells so mostly there are three; Outside Ekas, Inside Ekas left and Inside Ekas right. There is a really good break across the front of Planet in bigger swell and a beginners sand bar on the next beach. During the wet season there is another 8 or so breaks some of which have yet to be ridden. We go there by boat. Normally, surfers get the bulk of time on the boat but, sometimes, the snorkel trips take about an hour. When we are there we always co-ordinate surfing and snorkel trips so no one misses out. Many surfers go on the snorkel trip with their boards and jump off the boat at the break on the way back. Sorry if our staff didn't tell you about these options. The boat can't go at low tide but its a beautiful walk out to Insides on the reef flat and easy paddle. Getting to Outsides is a bit more tricky (a sunny 25 minute walk) but mostly Outsides doesn't work very well on the low tide unless the swell is small. We are hoping to have a full time driver this year for moving people between the two hotels. Ocean Heaven is at Outside Ekas so its a great way to surf, have lunch at Ocean Heaven and come back to Planet in the afternoon.

Thank you for noticing that we are really fussy about our packages being explained clearly on the website and when people email us for information. We now include tea and coffee as part of our packages. All rooms are provided with replenishable gallon drinking water dispensers. Unfortunately, juices don't grow on trees so we charge for these ;) All package guests receive a complimentary cocktail, fruit juice, large Bintang or any other concoction on our drinks menu when they arrive or to be taken at a time the guest would like to have it.

Hope you had the time to enjoy our new rejuvenation spa facility when you were at Ocean Heaven. Great that you are coming back, looking forward to meeting you this time.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

sensational. Loved Heaven on the planet and definitely coming back!!!! Kerry and Moira were sensational to my partner and I and made us so so welcome. from a great location to sensational food then a great atmosphere and even better company.... what isn't there to fall in love with this place. We travel a lot and have made this an annual journey for us. It is Bali 10 years ago so plan to get there now to fully experience this great place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review Craig, glad you had a great time. Your Anging Gila T shirts are going to be a winner! Guests like you make our job easy!
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

My partner and I decided to try somewhere a little different for our surfing trip this year, and heard a recomendation to go to Ocean Heaven. We went in December, the wet season but had the most fantastic time! the surf was amazing, even on the little days - having a break to yourself is such a treat!
The staff were lovely, and very helpful with us trying to learn to speak indo. We loved the boutique style, only 5 chalets - so it felt like we were guests at a friends house. It was lovely, intimate and homely, but with total independance, peace and quiet. The food was great, always very fresh and full of vegies.

We are already planning our next visit and intend to make this our yearly retreat. Thanks again to Kerry and Moira for making our holiday so fantastic, we can't recomend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: there are only 5 - we stayed close to the pool, so we didn't have too far to walk to check the s...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review, it was great getting to meet you and to spend time with you Catherine. We appreciate your feedback and are so pleased you had a great holiday. We know the staff enjoyed your Bahasa Indonesia skills! Looking forward to seeing you again.
Sunshine Coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

Uncrowded surf is a real bonus but I'm afraid that probably was the only truely memorable experience from Heaven On The Planet. After a 6am start from Bali my family finally arrived around 3pm. The roads we travelled on in the last hour were some of the roughest roads I've travelled on. (Spending 8yrs on Cape York Peninsular in the early 70's qualifies me to comment) I spose i probably shouldn't expect too much from a third world country that won't spend money on outlying provinces. You cannot beat the position of HOTP. Overlooking the inside break and great looking sunsets you can get from lots of resorts though. I was in touch with the owners from the start but in none of my correspondence did they mention they would not be there. Although I had the impression they would. The manager at the time was very casual with his resposibilities. He was happy to snake lots of waves on his SUP off the paying customers, happy to smoke around the bar only meters from people eating their meal. He did neglect to tell us that drinks were not included in the price. We knew and expected alcoholic drinks were to be paid for but a smoothie, a fruit drink or even a cup of tea had to be paid for. At $400 plus @ night I would've thought we at least may be able to get a cup of tea without having to pay for it. Sorry, not good enough to say there were tea bags available to make your own tea during a meal. The chef that I'd heard about from friends and was highly reccommended and was one of the bonuses that I was looking forward to was not there as he was only available at the other resort. The cooks at Heaven were doing their best but were lacking. Having said that I will make mention of the staff who were always very friendly and did have a good sense of humor. Accommodation was not really up to standard for the price. The power stayed on if the bar was open to serve the guests but bad luck if it shut early. Fans and lights go off when the power went off. I.E. No air flow to at least keep a little cool. There is no mention of only cold water available to shower at night in the promotion of HOTP. I realize now that we did travel in the Muslim period of Ramadan so I was able to understand the constant chanting coming from the local village around 11-12 at night to 3-5am. I read from a pevious respose from Kerry and Moira that a skateboard ramp was available as a convience for the guests but a little truth wouldn't go astray. It was stuck in an overgrown paddock with no access. Would I go back? Remembering the surf, It would be tempting if it was surfers only, but my family would be hard pressed to see the value. (But maybe after my review I may not be welcome)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank alantSunshineCoast
wavesinekas, Owner at Heaven On The Planet, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
The drive to Heaven on the Planet from the new airport is only an hour and a quarter. The road is now good as the Govt has made it better since opening the new airport. Only the last 4 kms are rough. While the old road was damaging our cars and sometimes upsetting our guests it is much improved since August. Soon, there will be direct flights into Lombok from international airports and so people won't have to go into the crowds at Bali if they don't want to. Our website is very clear about what is included in the packages and drinks have never been included. However, we have a special for February 2012 where all non alcoholic drinks and juices are free plus 2 beers and 2 cocktails per person per day. At all times you can make your own hot drinks free of charge. Our wonderful chef Saad who has been with us for six years has personally trained all the girls in our HOT Planet kitchen. He is now stationed at Ocean Heaven and all guests at both hotels are allowed to freely swap between the hotels for meals, this can be fun to go to Ocean Heaven in the evening and have a candlelit dinner on the pure white sands with Saad as your host. Saad is also famous for his aloe vera and banana leaf body wraps and massages at our beautiful new spa at Ocean Heaven. The accommodation at HOT Planet is natural and in keeping with the beautiful environment. Some rooms are better than others so we have a system where the first booked have the best pick of the accommodation. All rooms have magnificent ocean views. We have no choice but to turn the power off at night. Diesel for the generator is often limited in supply and difficult to buy especially around August when locals are using diesel to dry tobacco. We are continuously working on alternative methods of supplying energy but the cost in Indonesia has made it impossible for us to buy. Every year the Government promises to bring electricity and water to the district but so far it hasn't happened. The skateboard ramp is accessible but the garden was overgrown at the time. Having built Indonesian most eastern skateboard concrete half pipe we are concerned that guests realise care is needed and we are a little regretful that we have it. However, two skateboards are kept at the restaurant for those who want to use the ramp and we would suggest a helmet as well. We hope the reviewer took the time to go on our free mountain bike tours, snorkel trips, boat rides, village tour and aquaculture tours and had the chance to enjoy our terrace restaurant overlooking the break. We are very pleased to know that our Indonesian staff were always friendly and helpful.