“Gili 'Paradise' Island, a perfect trip”
Review of Gili Islands

and up
Gili Island Snorkeling Day Trip
Ranked #28 of 181 things to do in Lombok
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Been to Gili T for a long Christmas weekend with my family and the family of my wife. It is amazing overthere and it really feels like paradise, the rest of my famiy is still on the island and stayes a few days longer. But I had to go back, because of my internship on Bali. We had booked rooms in front at Big Bubble diving school, which is recommended, but there are many great locations and for the same money you can also get a lovely wooden house which you see a lot on the island. Especially if you come in the low season I think you can make a good bargain. The boat trip from Bali with Gili Cat was a bit bumby, which one part of the family loved and the other did not like that much. We made a reservation fort the boat and paid Rp 1mln pp and looking back I think you can make a much better deal by bargaining via e-mails, because there are many fast boats going from Bali to the Gili's.

The only negative part of the trip was the Mojito in Sama Sama Reggea Bar. They say they have the best in town, well it's the worst in the world. I don't know what they put in it, but it was black and had some taste of cola. After complaining to the waiter, we complained to the bartender and again to another bartender. They reacted all very aggressive and said that they had the best Mojito in town, we just came from another restaurant and they had lovely Mojito's. In the end we thrown one of the Mojito's in an ashtray and explained that this was the taste of their Mojito. They could not enjoy that joke.

What you really should do is go with a glass bottom boat to all the snorkling spotts around the three islands. Because we were with 9 people we were able to have a private boat and it was a great experience. We paid Rp 125000 pp and that for a trip from 10-15. Further there are also great snorkling spots in front of the beach and you can rent snorkling gear for only Rp 20000 for half a day.

If you plan a trip to the Gili's plan some extra days, because you will love it!!

and by the way, no motorized traffic on the Gili's :-)

5  Thank Rinoromeyn
"horse and cart"
"night market"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed December 6, 2010

Having been to Kuta too many times to mention it was time for something special for our honeymoon and special it was. For just 900,000rp for the trip over there with transfers from hotel back to hotel in a fast boat it was money very well spent. Accommodation on the island can vary greatly from up market to small but comfortable backpackers lumbung huts, there was quite a variety although during the dry season these can become hard to find. We were there at the start of the rainy season (end of november) but we only had 2 short showers in the afternoon during our 6 night stay there.
Life on the Island is very lay back during the day mostly because everybody is recovering from the night before :) Party nights being monday wednesday and friday at the 3 most popular bars. Our favourite was Rudy's the staff where very quick to welcome us with a drawn out gid ay mate no matter what time of day or night which made it hard to go past.
We ate at a number of places from the basic woodfired pizza oven which was very nice at the northern end of the island to the swish seafood dinner a tip there is to look carefully for your seafood as it all comes from Lombok and depending on sales as to how fresh it really is we where fortunate enough to spot some seafood that was definately caught that day, ice water tends to turn prawn heads black and clouds fish and calamari eyes, these where as clear as the days skies, this was at the fortuna restaurant a very nice feed indeed.
During the day when not drinking or relaxing by the pool we did venture out first it was the bike ride around the island the half day hire was more than enough. You can ride for about 75% of the way and push the other 25% this is part of the island so enjoy it with a number of swims on the western side to the northern end its all so beautiful.
We did the 3 island snorkel trip for 75,000rp per person which included the use of face mask and snorkel but no fins they where an extra 5,000. First stop was the N.E. end of Trawangan where on first sight I was taken in by all the beautifully coloured fish it was my wifes first time snorkelling and as it was in only 2mtrs of water she felt safe and enjoyed the experience. It was then off to Menu to see the turtles and yes we seen 2 the fish weren't as plentiful but we were there to see turtles. Lunch stop was on Air and then another dive on the eastern side then back to trawangan. It was well worth the money, in saying that the next day I hired the gear for 25,000rp for half a day dived in at the turtle house snorkelled in close as the current was running to the south and went to the northern end then came out wider to the drop off and came back down. During this time I saw 5 turtles and so many beautiful fish it will be forever in my mind.
The time on Gili "T" has been the best holiday I've ever experienced it was just everything I like, great food, plenty of very cold bintang, the sites, the relaxation and more importantly the people they are great with most living on Lombok working 14 days then 2 off they work hard for little but are always so happy from which I have been in contact with a number of them and will continue to do so.
Gili Trawangan I thank you.

6  Thank kawapete
Reviewed December 2, 2010

Had the most amazing snorkeling experience at The Gili islands. Had booked the tour through a Senggigi agent but brought there by the boatman who owned his own boat. Since there is no middleman, he can offer a better rate. Promised to take another trip with him the day after but I fell ill with food poisoning. Felt bad so I promised to provide his details on the Internet. So here goes, Pak Suleiman (+6281936758526). Note he doesn't speak much English.

9  Thank easymac
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Im talkin back maybe 2004,stayed at the sunrise,and its a great location.
Nice and quiet,hardly any tourists,brekky OK.
Meals can be served on the waters edge in the quainy cabanas outside the gate,very nice.
Byo your own spirits from the local store,and chill out !!!!!
The indonesian made Gin,is good quality,and at $10 a bottle,good medicine.
The only downside was the tap water/shower water in the cabins,as its drawn from underground it was quite salty,and with no aircon,and a hot sweaty night under a mosquito net it not the best feeling to try to sleep with.

1  Thank n0mad4u