Tripadvisor
Sumba
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews paddle boarding boat house our honeymoon other guests horse riding private pool world class local community moment you arrive bali airport spa treatments heaven on earth magical place luxury resort chocolate factory overlooking the ocean bucket list
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

One of the best resorts I have stayed so far and for sure one of the most beautiful and authentic destination I have visited! The preserved nature, rich culture and very kind people, everything and everyone has been so amazing that no words can describe. Although January considered as a rainy season, we were lucky to have almost no rain and we were able to explore the island and enjoy the activities such as Spa Safari (absolutely outstanding experience, highly recommended for hiking and spa lovers); sunrise horse riding (beautiful horses and professional team that will take care of you even if you have no experience of horse riding before); yoga (the venue for yoga is top notch and Julia was so kind and welcoming so you feel like to come back for her classes again and again); Chocolate factory visit (was very informative and tasty); Sumba Foundation tour and English Class (for these who like to see the real life of Sumbanese, learn more about what is being done from the resort side to help local communities or even contribute some time to help teaching English in the local school. I loved it big time!)
The food in the main restaurant and beach restaurant was very good, but the visit to Japanese restaurant was unforgettable experience - excellent food and service, varieties of sake and great people around! Terima kasih to everyone who made our stay so special and hope to see you again!

Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed January 10, 2020

Had been looking so forward to this trip because I have heard so much about this resort before. Sadly the product does not match the slick marketing. The resort itself is pleasant but nothing special. It looks dated and not very well maintained. The location, spa, beach and the horses were outstanding. Sadly everything else was a major disappointment. The local staff barely spoke English so communication was a HUGE issue. We had a lovely villa but housekeeping was appalling. No clean glasses, no ice, towels were not replenished, room service dishes were left on the dining table overnight despite the turn down service. The bathtub tap was left turned on by housekeeping which caused an overflow that flooded the entire floor. The quality of food at the restaurants was only average. Overall service was lacking. This trip was not worth what was paid.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Labyrinthdelfauno
NIHI_Sumba, General Manager at Nihi Sumba, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Dear Labyrinthdelfauno,

We are most distressed to receive your review, thank you for taking the time. As this certainly goes against the grain to the feedback we usually receive, I would be most grateful if I could talk to you on the phone to learn more, so we can to get to the root of the defects you experienced. If you would be so kind to email me at rico@nihi.com, I would be most grateful.

My sincerest apologies and I hope we get the chance to speak.

Respectfully,
Rico Haus

Reviewed December 28, 2019 via mobile

Nihi Sumba is situated on a breathtakingly beautiful beach and it offers a couple of strong points: Great surfing, beautiful sunsets, horses, a very decent gym and friendly staff.

But there are a couple of things that are a bit of a turn-off: Charging 350 USD for a hike to a waterfall seems a bit over the top given local wages. And forcing guests to buffet dinners every other day is nothing short of a disgrace. What’s even worse is the selection of music: 120 bpm of EDM unfortunately don’t go well with sunsets.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
NIHI_Sumba, General Manager at Nihi Sumba, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2019

Dear Ferdinandhaas

Thank you for sharing your opinion about your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your break at NIHI and I gladly shared your comments with our team members. It was great chatting to you during your stay, too. I thank you for your suggestion on a different price structure for the Blue Waterfall hike, we’ll certainly look into that still considering the mandatory entry tickets for the area as well as the wages of the local Sumbanese gentlemen who carry all the equipment during this hike.

I’d like to explain further on the other turn-off points you’ve mentioned. In order to accommodate all our guests’ wishes, we offer always 2 further dining options in case somebody doesn’t like the main outlet menu, hence, there is option for in Villa dining as well as the Japanese fine dining Restaurant, which we strongly recommend to every guest. We apologize in case you were not informed properly about these possibilities.

Regarding the music, our idea was to upgrade the quality during Festive Season, hence, rather then using a playlist, we brought in an internationally acclaimed DJ for the entertainment during sunset and the parties after dinner. Music taste is certainly a highly diverse and individual topic, we apologize that we were not able to meet yours and we would love to hear your suggestions to improve the quality of music played during sunset. I am happy to share it with our DJ for his gig next year.

Again, thank you very much for visiting NIHI Sumba and selamat tahun baru from the entire team!

Rico and the NIHI family

Reviewed December 5, 2019

This is one of the best hotels in the world. From the moment of the amazing arrival you receive you will not be disappointed with any aspect of your time at Nihi. We stayed for 10 days in November 2019 and I wished we could have stayed for 20 days. The villa we had was amazing and very generous in size and amenities. The outside was immaculate with a large pool and amazing views. There is lots to do if you want to or just chill out at the pool or boat house or the beach. The beach is the best I have been to with beautifully clear water and white sand. The hotel horses come down to visit each day at 2.00 pm in front of the beach restaurant which is a site to behold. There is one main restaurant but the food does not get boring as it has a great menu and daily specials which are superb. The food is of a very high standard at breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is not fair to mention particular members of staff as so many contribute to the experience and they are all so friendly and really good at what they do. You really do feel part of the family. The management team are around all the time and they can not do enough to make your experience special. I could go on and on but I won't - just go!

Room tip: As a couple we stayed in Lulu 2 and it was very generous with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a sitting room plus amazing views.
Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed December 1, 2019

A very interesting youngish clientele. Surfing is the big attraction other than the island in general. Snorkeling is fair at best. Food is good but not killer. Some rooms are VERY nice but not all. The staff could not try harder. We had a very nice experience. Claude, a founder of sorts...needs to disappear from the scene!!!

Room tip: Pay to play
Date of stay: November 2019