All reviewsprivate poolpaddle boardingother guestsour honeymoonworld classhorse ridinglocal communityboat househeaven on earthmagical placenihiwatu resortbali airportspa experiencebucket listdeep sea fishingwhole experienceamazing staff
Reviewed April 7, 2012

The most beautiful, romantic, luxurious, relaxing, amazing "surf" resort is Nihiwatu on Sumba Island! We travelled there last year and it is a paradise where surfers have exclusivity to the fantastic waves straight out the front of the Resort. When the waves aren't happening there, the Resort Water crew take you on a boat ride to find a wave. Surfing is amazing and not crowded- only 10 surfers are permitted to stay on the Island at any one time, and only guests can surf the break - never crowded! You can watch the surfing from a relaxing deck chair on shore - a spectators/ photographers delight! The service, food, staff (the Sumba people and all staff are friendly and you feel like a part of a family,) are 5 Star +++. There are other activities available - massages, yoga, beach walks, Supping, snorkelling, horse riding, push bike rides, local village / market excursions - a must, takes you back in time. You can do as much or as little as you want, be social or private - but with only 10 couples there we made life-long friends from all over the world, we still keep in contact with. We were Engaged there last year (as I said - a very romantic location,) and are booked to go back in May for our delayed Honeymoon. We are counting down the days excitedly. Even a short trip to Nihiwatu will spoil you for life - and you will want to return - again and again. This is paradise for the perfect luxury surf holiday / Honeymoon. I was more than happy to return so my husband could experience more waves of a lifetime (we now have heaps of awesome pics up on the walls of his barrels - which the fantastic staff took of him,) & I can be spoilt and relaxed to my hearts content.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
George_v2012, General Manager at Nihi Sumba, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Dear Valda057,

Sumba Greetings!

I am delighted you found paradise in Earth with us in so many different aspects!

Many thanks for the detailed description to Nihiwatu's varied luxury offerings, services and activities. Your review has been shared in full with all team members here at Nihiwatu & everyone feels thrilled by your comments.

I agree with your review as it defines Nihiwatu in so many aspects that waves become the bonus and not the rule of being out here. Village trips are potentially life changing experiences and combined with all other options at Nihiwatu definitely becomes lifetime experience & paradise.

We all are anxious to welcoming you soon back to Nihiwatu and exceed your, what should be, high expectations with us once again!

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Nihiwatu is truly in the archipelago of extraordinary in every way. I felt as though I was in Africa , it's raw culturally and rich spiritually. The staff exude warmth, pride and care. The food at the highest level. The 2.5 km beach is yours, only to be shared with water buffalo bathing at times !! It is a life changing experience and a place you will leave a piece of your heart. Claude and Petra admiration to you. George , you have found a job in paradise. Christian your passion is infectious. I will be back often :)

• Stayed: March 2012
George_v2012, General Manager at Nihi Sumba, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Dear James,

Sumba greetings!

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our resort and our staff!

I am glad you had a wonderful experience at our resort and that we were able to deliver to you the service standards that we pride ourselves on. I really appreciate your succinct comments of describing your experience with us and you are right, Nihiwatu Resort is truly located in the archipelago of extraordinary in every way. One of Earth's last gems that guests prefer for the quietness, privacy, romance, intimacy and activeness that it offers.

We do hope you visit again and give us another opportunity to delight you further in our endeavours to improve quality, services & activities! I admit am lucky enough to have 'a lifestyle job in managing a hotel in what seems closer to be paradise'!

Do visit us on Facebook/Twitter and stay up to date on event calendars, exclusive offers, destination tips and more.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I have traveled the world for more than 30 years sampling some of the finest hotels and resorts.... but it wasn't until we stumbled on a little resort named Nihiwatu that we truly found what paradise is. It is there all by itself on the wild south coast of Sumba.... fringed by a beautiful coral reef with perfect waves right at your doorstep. Secluded dinners, friendly locals, amazing fishing and endless activities. This place is one of the last real gems. No lines, no crowds, just bliss. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: They are all special rooms in there own way overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
George_v2012, General Manager at Nihi Sumba, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear TravelOzTV,

Sumba Greetings!

We are thrilled you found 'Paradise' with us and honored to be on top of your 30years experience at the finest hotels and resorts!

Your kind comments will be passed on to the team. I can truly assure you that we will strive further in elevating Nihiwatu's quality of services and on your next visit to exceed even more your expectations on every level.

I am at your service and you are now part to Nihiwatu's extended family!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon again.

My Best Regards,

Reviewed March 29, 2012

My wife, son, and I spent three weeks at Nihiwatu. We were treated like family from the moment we arrived. Having spent much of my life in far off tropical places I'm no stranger to the hardships that come with living and more so operating a business in one. I was amazed at the service and positive attitude the staff had. the food was first class and the chef would take the time to speak with clients every evening. As for water activities it doesn't get any better then Nihiwatu. There waterman Christian Sea (yes its his last name) is a gentlemen and very skilled at his craft. Christian helped to spark a love for the ocean in my son that he will carry with him through his life.For that as a father I'm very grateful. I was also impressed how much time,money and energy the owner Cluade Graves has put into helping the people of Sumba. It hasn't been easy for him. The look in Cluade's eyes demands respect, and he deserves it. As for the hotel manager George, he's a class act. if every hotel or resort out there had a manager like George they would all be five star! All in all "Welcome to fantasy island" Thank you a wonderful trip.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
George_v2012, General Manager at Nihi Sumba, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Dear Mike z,

Sumba Greetings!

We wholeheartedly thank you for the amazing review you gave us at tripadvisor!

It is the biggest of rewards to hear from guests who experienced Nihiwatu for 3 weeks in a row that had such a wonderful experience with us. We strive to improve and perfect every aspect of our operations, from service to excursions and water activities to horse riding and cultural trips, and your review made it all and all the more difficult for us.

Your comments have been passed on to the team and I re-assure you we will work harder not only to preserve the same level of service but to improve at every aspect possible.

We are by principle 'anti-hotel' where guests of all kinds whether families or couples, individuals or honeymooners are genuinely welcomed to experience the “fantasy island” as you described it and become members of the Nihiwatu family!

With Warm Regards,

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We have returned from a 8 day holiday in Nihiwatu - what an amazing experience we had!!!
The resort is truly incredible and something like we have not seen.

To us what made it really special were all the staff at Nihiwatu. They not only looked after us very well making us feel special but became good friends and at the end of our trip they were like our family.

The meals included in the package was delicious and we had an abundance of variety.
To add to that there are a lot of activities to do from laying around the pool side overlooking an amazing view, to walking along the beach, river paddling (which we highly recommend), horse riding, yoga, village tours and drinking cocktails at the bar watching the sunset.

It is a place we would highly recommend and are already planning our next trip back!

We would like to keep this place a secret but a secret is no good if no one else knows!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
George_v2012, General Manager at Nihi Sumba, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Dear Jess C,

Sumba Greetings,

Thank you for your 'Phenomenal' review for Nihiwatu!

It is a fantastic Tripadvisor review that encapsulates the diversity & exclusivity of the activities & services Nihiwatu offers to its 'family members’ - guests!!

I have passed your great comments on to the Nihiwatu team and we all are thrilled that you brought so many wonderful memories back home.

We really look forward welcoming you back soon again to Nihiwatu! You are part of the family now after all!!

And yes you are absolutely right ‘a secret is no good if no one else knows!!!’

Warmest regards,