“Fine”

Kelimutu Crater Lakes Eco Lodge
Ranked #2 of 73 Specialty Lodging in Flores
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We spent only one night here. The rooms were clean and the setting beautiful. Sadly the atmosphere is damp so everything feels and smells slightly musty. The food choices were limited and only adequate. From the quick look we had around, I think probably the best place in the area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
ecolodgesindonesia, Owner at Kelimutu Crater Lakes Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for your report on your one night stay at our Kelimutu Lodge and thank you commenting that you think it is the best in the area. . We will certainly look into your complaints re musty room smell but we believe that one night is inadequate to assess this beautiful place.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

After a late arrival the kitchen was still open only for us and diner was made. The small lodges are situated on the mountain and are complete. Warm shower in a half-outside bathroom. The staff was very friendly and help full.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ecolodgesindonesia, Owner at Kelimutu Crater Lakes Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Many thanks for this very positive review, which is greatly appreciatd by a management supporting local employment as a Conservation tool.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I remembered two years ago stayed at Eco Lodge Labuan Bajo and Kelimutu, now according reviews of guest who stay there...feel proud of them, they keep its quality of room - food - service ! All the staff try to make sure everything goes on scheduled ...nice room with local accesories and attached open air unique bathroom, yummy breakfast after trekking from Kelimutu at terrace

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for this report. It is especially pleasing as all our staff are local from the village of Moni and we believe they have done a terrific job looking after international guests

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Ecolodge is a solid choice for accommodation in Muni. The prices are high for Flores (60,000 to 90,000 Rupiahs), but the town's choices are this solid midrange hotel with professional staff or some much more basic cottages and homestays. The staff is fair when helping with the horribly inflated transport costs in Muni, the food at breakfast was fine, and the coffee and tea excellent. Another major plus is that the hotel is away from all of the party noise of the town and has a peaceful view of mountains and river.

Room Tip: The cheaper room near the river was a great option and very comfortable. The view was not as nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your report especially emphasising peace and quiet. We have invested much time, effort and funds on this our 5th lodge and glad it is the best in your opiniion

Reviewed May 30, 2013

It is a shame to just stay a night there! The place is worth more nights! Good lodges, well kept and a good kitchen! The surrounding is worth trekking around and this is a place to stay in if u are tired of city life and would like to enjoy some inner peace.

Room Tip: Opt those standalone huts if you are a couple! If big family, opt for those rooms above kitchen for...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
ecolodgesindonesia, Owner at Kelimutu Crater Lakes Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Sir,

We wish to thank you for your report on our lodge especially emphasising the destination is worth a longer stay than one night. It is reports like yours that make us determined to expand this lodge with more rooms in the near future,

With our warm wishes,

Founder Member and Chairman
ECOLODGESINDONESIA

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The room was small but nice and there was a mosquito net, but there was in fact no hot water as its Solar and they had no sun and the pillows were so musty I had to sleep with a towel over the pillow as I am allergic to mould etc. I am told the hotel owner is Austalian so shame on you for not changing out the pillows regularly. The restaurant was nice food if overpriced and the garden setting was beautiful. Next stop Bajawa so fingers crossed we get something decent

Stayed: May 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,

We wish to comment on your report on our lodge where you blame the Australian owner (myself and other shareholders) on musty pillows and no hat water. Firstly our apologies but we will stick to our mandate to employ only local staff, secondly the House keeping staff have been clearly informed re your complaint re musty pillows and this will lead to an improvement of the problem, thirdly we do not have sun all year round especially in the rains. Yours is not the first complaint re our solar hot water system and we are seriously considering compromising our eco principles in favor of gas hot water in that part of the lodge.

Alan Wilson

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was extremely happy with this package tour.
I had only three nights in Flores . With one night in Labaun Bajo I wanted to see as much as possible, with the main focus to see the three colored crater lakes at sunrise on top of Kelimutu volcano.
I was also traveling solo. The company Eco lodge Indonesia were fantastic ! They arranged my flights from Labuan Bajo to Ende (otherwise it was a 16 hour drive) and a flight from Ende back to Bali. I had been having a lot of trouble trying to book these flights myself online from Australia.
Mario (guide) and Franky (driver) met me at the airport in Ende and my fabulous adventure began. Driving through the beautiful country side up to Moni we had a picnic by a beautiful river eating a great Nasi Bugus . I spent a very memorable afternoon visiting the Saga village ,drinking home grown coffee on the veranda of a family from this village and learning about their life and their ancient and very sacred ceremonies. Upon arriving at the Kelimutu Eco lodge the chef was waiting for me to discuss what meal he would like to prepare for me. The meal was fantastic!.
I was very happy with my accommodation .It was comfortable ,clean and charming. All the staff where very polite ,responsive and very eager to please.The pancakes for breakfast were the best I have ever had while traveling throughout Indonesia . Ritha cooked me some awesome local dishes, chicken curry and baby eggplant curry. Other highlights were watching the sunrise over the three colored crater lakes on top of Kelimutu. Sitting with women in their home in a local ikat village and lightly bartering with them for handwoven Ikat sarongs. These women had spent up to five months weaving these masterpieces . Sitting in a local hotspring within a village with villagers watching the full moon shine on ancient rainforest trees and steeply sloping rice paddies. Mario was a fabulous guide. He offered a jam packed exciting off the beaten track agenda that he would personalize to suit your energy levels and desires for the day. Mario provided an intimate platform for me to engage with village life and the beautiful people I met within these villages . Franky was a very careful and competent driver. I loved his gentlemanly ways of always opening the car door for me. Kelimutu 2 days 2 nights package is a must for the time poor wanting to get an extensive and intimate taste of the Ende, Moni Kelimutu area in beautiful ,magical Flores.There is an option on this tour to do quite a bit of trekking rather than driving.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 560Virginia

Dear Sir,

I wish to thank you for your report on our lodge in Moni especially your appreciation of our staff. all our staff are local people and are trained to really show off their location and culture to our precious guests.

With regards,