““Enjoyble , if you're lucky with the weather.””
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mount Kelimutu

Mount Kelimutu
Ranked #3 of 87 things to do in Flores
Calgary, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
““Enjoyble , if you're lucky with the weather.””
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

We had a driver who was great and he probably had every bend memorized, the fog was so thick I couldn't see the road from the backseat , when we arrived we headed straight to the crater - and we could not see a thing due to the clouds. We hung about for a bit, and did one of the short trails then went back to the crater to find the cloud had cleared and there was a fantastic view of the crater. The guard asked me if we bring cameras and I paid quite a lot for everything. Back in the car our guide made fun of me for paying the camera fee because the rest of the group did not We didn't need the cameras that much since thick fog made it even hard to see the bottom of the crater despite that we spent a great day !!

Visited May 2013

• Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Krakow, Poland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Good experience but very short”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Kelimutu as a "must see" place in Flores in quite short experience. You can easily go to the entrace by bike or car and then walk around 20 minutes to see the lakes. At the gate u need to pay 50k rupies for bringing a camera what is redicioulos, its more expensive than entrance ticket. At the time I was there, sunrise time was not so good, very misty and surface of lakes were covered by thick clouds. If u are around, it's worth to see by the way ;)

Visited August 2013
Bali, Indonesia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“kelimutu lake in flores- indonesia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

this the another one of Flores carm, more spectacular as long the island of flores.
most recomend to visit,. very nice island.

Visited May 2013
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Sunrise in Kelimutu - Mystical”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Woke up early in a very cold place - Hike up to the mountain while people r sleeping - hmmm a torture.. but paid off when we r in the peak - saw the sunrise and the 3 different colors of lakes.
A good walk and path.
Was told by the guide about the local believe about Kelimutu. The soul of Kelimutu people were rested here. This is a sacred place for them. Some more the 1st Indonesian President, Soekarno - was here and meditate when exiled by the Holland.

The lake - the color the always change.
Believe the 1st lake (used to be red). Where the sinner go here. When i was there the color is dark green.
2nd lake turquoise color - where good spirit go here
3rd lake black color - for the infant or baby...

Very mystical...

Visited September 2013
Munich
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Abolsutely worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

I only had a limited amount of time to see Flores. Besides the dragons, seeing the Kelimutu craters was something that I really wanted to do. I found two other girls, and together we hired a driver for four days - from Labuan Bajo to Moni - Kelimutu and back to Labuan Bajo. We arranged a price of 3,2 mil rupiah (driver's accomodation and food and gas included). However, it took us a while to find someone who would to it for that price. We ended up giving him a really good tip at the end since he really made an effort to not only bring us to Kelimutu but also to show us the island on the way there. The trip by car is two full days of driving. You have to stay over somewhere in between. The bus takes a few hours longer, but I heard it can be done in two days as well. The advantage with a personal driver is that he can stop wherever wanted. It is worth the money, I think. Especially when you are a group of people.
In Moni, we stayed in a really crappy place: Hotel Flores Sares. It is overpriced and filthy, and not well maintained. It is located 500m out of town behind Moni. I would not go back there again. The town is cute and the people are really friendly though. At 4:30am, we got up and drove to the Kelimutu National Park. It was all worth the time, the effort and money spent on this trip. It was an amazing experience to watch the sun rise over the lakes. This is a holy place to the locals, so please honor the park and watch the instructions. The road to Moni is tough. It may not be thing to do for people that get car sick. Bring very, very warm clothes to the National Park. It is cold and a bit windy up there in the morning (I even brought my sleeping bag to wrap around me.)

Visited September 2013