“Nice surrounding views, airy and spacious room!”

Niagara Hotel and Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Parapat
Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
“Nice surrounding views, airy and spacious room!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed 1night, our first night at this hotel. The sceneries enroute to the hotel were wonderful and surrounding views were spectacular. This hotel were located on top of the hill, quiet area and frankly speaking, is inconvenient to those who intend to walk to the nearby town as is quite faraway and secluded. We can't remember the roads shown to us by out driver-guide if we wanted to walk out of the hotel on our own.

Our room (3rd floor) was very spacious and airy..the best hotel we stayed ( the only one we get to rest/sleep) while our tour in Medan Lake Toba-Parapat-Berastagi-Medan. Bed is good, bathroom is spacious, water pressure strong even though a bit outdated and the tub had some stain marks. If not mistaken, this hotel has been here for quite some time, maybe more than 15-20years?? We are quite satisfied with the corner room given (twin bedded room with a balcony) and facing the garden. Wifi password has to be requested from front reception and only usable around hotel lobby area. For a 4star hotel, we hope the hotel management could look into this matter as internet/wifi connection is very important to most travellers and best if could be used in the room instead of the hotel lobby/restaurant area only.

We had dinner at the hotel restaurant (included in our tour package), chinese set dinner (4dishes). Food was okay but the portion for 4persons seems like portion for 2persons and we had to order additional 2dishes from the menu and still not really enough. Maybe we have big appetite. Breakfast is just normal, serving asian buffet line. If this hotel could provide maybe 1 or 2 dishes like sausage or ham then would be better especially for those who are not into asian food.

Overall, if we were to come back to Parapat again, we will choose this hotel to stay for their scenic views, airy and spacious room and get good sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at 3rd Floor/Level 3 or higher floors but need to walk up 2flight of stairs (no lifts...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank JKY209

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was part of the friends and family tour of Medan. From Medan we travelled to Parapat. I really enjoyed the sceneries of the journey. Needless to say, the company was great. It was a customized tour for the family and friends.

The lobby of the hotel was rather grand. My wife and I were given room 507. Unfortunately there are no elevators (lifts) to the floor. We had to walk up two flights of steps. My wife have bad knees and it was a challenge for her to walk up to the room.

The room had 3 British/Malaysian type power outlets. This is really wonderful. I can charge all my iPad, phones and camera at the same time. The view is calming from the balcony of the room.

The bathroom is bad. The shower curtains have molds and the white bath towels are grey in color. This is not something I like to find in any hotel room.

The garden around the pool area is immaculately kept. Unfortunately, the time was too short to enjoy the view. we had to check out and move on.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with view of Danau Toba.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank KLCheah

Travelers are raving about these Parapat hotels

Depok, Indonesia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

the plus are the scenic view and the comfortable bed.

seriously, this hotel is too pricey, over the top, with poor service (i asked the receptionist for power plugs, since i don't bring the UK style ones, and they said they would have it to my room, but no, i had to wait and then call room service to ask again and the staff asked me to just try and open the socket manually since they didn't have any more plugs to lend)

it was also not friendly for disabled and elders, since there were only stairs wherever you go... my room was on the 3rd floor and i found it very tiring if i have to go up and down by stairs only.

the swimming pool was nice, though due to bunch of careless visitors, i doubted the cleanliness of it.

what upset me the most was niagara hotel was way too secluded, so i couldn't go anywhere except going round in the hotel, and there was nothing else in the surrounding area. however, they do have paid-bus services to escort and pick the guests, you can ask for the details by the receptionist/cashier.

Room Tip: choose the rooms on the main building that face the toba lake, other rooms doesn't have much to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ellen K
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Negative:
- There was no help to carry our luggage to the room.
- No elevator.
- many mosquito's
- poor breakfast not included

Positive:
- spacious room
- nice view over lake Toba
- good bed
- very big and nice swimming pool

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Peterspring
Alor Star, Kedah, Malaysia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel is quite nice with a beautiful swimming pool.It is very silent at night.The view from top of it is very nice.There is no wifi at floors, except lobby/lounge (ground floor), which we also need to ask for it from the recep counters.You don't need aircon, as it is quite cold/cooling.The so called pub at the lobby area was small which can be occupied for about 25 persons in it.Can listen to song sang by the so called "singer" there.Not so nice to hear.Maybe you will sing better.Overall is satisfied just it has no lift and the food not so nice for me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lovetravelling1113
Malaysia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Staying here for a night on a ground tour. Our rooms were those facing the mountain (not the one facing the lake). Agreed, this is not an elderly friendly hotel. My in laws have to climb up and down the stairs very slowly.. But since the weather and the scenery were superb, they did enjoy staying here.

The breakfast was a simple one with not much of choices. But good enough to fill our stomach.

Would love to come back here for at least a 2 nights stay... :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank patpo
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel has a nice exterior, with very grand lobby, a huge nice swimming pool overlooking the lake and everything else. Cafeteria/Restaurant of the hotel is located next to the swimming pool, very nice and cooling for breakfast. However there are too many mosquitoes and I wasn't really happy with little bloodsuckers stealing blood so early in the morning.

Rooms were huge and okay. However most of the euipments or furnishing is quite old and worn out. The shower curtain is stained yellowish at the bottom - not a very appealing sight. It's actually quite disgusting. The taps were old, bathtub and shower were old. However it is clean. Room for two, with a quite big bed for one person, so I guess it is possible to bunk in more than two people? You don't need aircon, as it is quite cold/cooling.

There is no wifi at floors, except lobby/lounge (ground floor), so I was pretty unsatisfied because I like to surf the internet in my bedroom.

There is no lift, only stairs, but helpful staff to carry your luggage. I find it quite intimidating because I insisted to carry my own luggage but the staff mocked my ability and strength by saying that they only have stairs and my room is floors away from the lobby. I really don't like people to handle my luggage, but the staff just took it from my hands without my permission and walked off to my room. I am not a rude person so I had to just let it go and let him carry my luggage.

The room and my sleep was okay. Pillow not fluffy enough, it's pretty soft and flat that it seemed you are sleeping without a pillow. =/

I only stayed one night here, and it was not pleasant. My sleep was okay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Melinda W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parapat
Inna Parapat
#3 of 9 in Parapat
Mas Cottages
Mas Cottages
#2 of 12 in Samosir Island

Been to Niagara Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!