“Nice retreat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Padang
Jurong, Singapore
“Nice retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is on the ourskirts of Padang and itself very pleasant. The staff is very friendly they try very hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Breakfast is really good, good choice between local and western food. The local food in the restaurant is good, but of course more expensive than in town. The iced lemon tea is fantastic, we got addicted to it. The rooms are clean and a good size. We booked two rooms, one with seaview and one without, this wasn't really worth the money as both had seaview. The room without seaview still had some seaview and you also saw the city and the mountains in the background. If you don't mid swimmig beween rubish you can swim from the beach in Padang, if you prefer to have a clean beach - good luck, we haven't found one. The website states that the room accommodates 2 adults and 2 children, but you can't book this. The rooms are only for 2 pers., this was a bit anoying the website should just be changed. We emailed the hotel directly to ask about this but never got a reply, had to phone accor helpline. When arriving we were told it was a smoking room, which we didn't want. We ended up in two smoking rooms, but I couldn't smell any nicotin smell lingering, so didn't bother us in the end. This must be a indonesian thing, smoking is far less restricted.
Padang itself is not a pleasant city, so the surrounding area of the hotel is not very nice but that applies to most of the hotels I would say.
To summerise it, I wouldn't recommend to go to Padang for a holiday, but if you have to stay in Padang the Mercure Padang is a very good choice.

Room Tip: I wouldn't go for a room with pool view, as you don't see anything else as the pool and othe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dodit N, General Manager at Mercure Padang, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Gerbri,

Thank you so much for passion on your comments on Trip Advisor and thank you so much for staying with us. It's a great source of inspiration and assistance to receive positive feedback from our valued guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words

I have taken note your displeasure with website booking as you could not able to book rooms to accommodate 2 adult and 2 children, in this opportunity I would like to suggest you for the next booking you may book through accorhotels.com or mercure.com, this websites provides more suitable choice for guests needs.

In other part, we are very glad to hear your recommendation that Mercure is a good choice accommodation to stay in Padang !! I will share your comments with our team. I am sure this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and for your next stay please don't hesitate to contact me directly and we hope your next visit will be more pleasant as the previous one.

Email : gm@mercurepadang.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

this is my first time to stay at this hotel. first impression is that this is a good hotel if you compare to the other hotel in the city. located at a beachfront, you can enjoy the beach view and mountain view at the same time. but if you need transportation, it quite hard to find it.
front officer is very helpful and warm, even tough i checked in at 11 pm.
the room is spacious and a lot of amenities ready to use.
breakfast is OK with a lot of food choice and check out process is very fast.
i like this hotel but the minus thing is breakfast staff is not so helpful.
after all still this is the best hotel at padang.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dodit N, General Manager at Mercure Padang, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Mr. gondel g,

Thank you so much for passion on your comments on Trip Advisor and thank you so much for staying with us. It's a great source of inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our valued guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words

We are glad to hear you found us to be the best hotel in the city ! I will share your comments with our team. I am sure this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

the highlight of this hotel is the swimming pool. It's nice and offers lovely view over the coast. There is also a well equipped Gym. The rooms are spacious, very comfortable bed and sleep quality is excellent. The bathroom have glass wall to the bed side.

The reception staff are helpful, on first night of my stay I was put in a smoking room because there was no non-smoking available. But on the next day they immediately move my room to non smoking room and the reception staff ask their apologize many times in very polite manner.

There is a nice restaurant terrace for an evening drink, Best bet is a beer, as there are happy hour promo Buy 2, pay only 1

Free WiFi, but bandwidth varies, at times reasonable but sometime the speed is very low.

This is a no-frills hotel, but well above average for a 4 star hotel.

Stayed On January 04, 2013. Traveled on business

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank agnesyan85
Dear agnesyan85

We are glad to hear you found us to be an well above average 4 stars hotel ! I will share your comments with our team. I am sure this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Mercure Hotel has very pleasant.... The swimming is so cool, the service and the internet connection is good. No hassle with services.. The breakfast served as well is pretty good. Totally recommended and affordable!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wilson W
Dodit N, General Manager at Mercure Padang, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Wilson W,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Mercure Padang during your recent visit to Padang, West Sumatra, and for sharing your comments with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our valued guests

Wilson W, once again, thank you for sharing your experience. For your next stay please don't hesitate to contact me directly and we hope your next visit will be more pleasant as the previous one.

jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is my second stay in Mercure Padang. I like the hotel concept and environment. The open swimming pool is very nice. I have room facing to the Beach which was really nice during the evening time. Breakfast variation also good, many choices of Breakfast and my favo dish is "Pizza Rendang".. The taste is yummy... Such fantastic innovation.
The staff are all friendly and welcome as well, they recognize my name and greet me politely. I wish i could comeback to he Hotel soon.

Room Tip: Request room on the beach view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Alexta_yohana,

Alexta_yohana, once again, thank you for sharing your experience. For your next stay please don't hesitate to contact me directly and we hope your next visit will be more pleasant as the previous one.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was just coming from pontianak, and when I ask them is there any recommended hotel to stay at Padang, they recommend me to stay at mercure Padang. And I gotta say that the services and all the talk is really up to the expectations.

And if you all just like me, coming to Padang on transit to mentawai, I highly recommend this hotel as your first choice

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kuro_Cai
Dear Mr. Kuro_Cai,

Mr. Kuro_Cai, once again, thank you for sharing your experience. For your next stay please don't hesitate to contact me directly and we hope your next visit will be more pleasant as the previous one.

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I visited the hotel for a one night business visit to Padang. Despite it's location and it's completion stage, the hotel has a very nice ambience to it. I was assigned room 236, a Non - Smoking, Beach View room which offers a magnificent unobstructed sunset view. Higher floored room would probably give a better vantage point of the beach. These rooms are worth requesting for

The room is nicely layout, with photographs of local attraction site as decor. The minibar is adequately appointed. The internet, however is on the slow side despite their claim of having a broadband connection. Loved the chaise lounge which was nicely proportioned. It allows you to sit back and enjoy the TV from a confortable angle.

The bathroom is adequately appointed with the usual Me and Mercure amenity kit.

Upon retiring I found the bed to be quite comfortable. I'm a first-night-in-a-new-surrounding-insomnia person, but surprisingly I managed to get a good night's sleep due to the plushness of the duvet. Which is a big plus on hotels of this chain

For those of you who likes to do your morning jog/ walk, the beach is just 100 m away. Crisp morning beach air comes standard. The breakfast buffet was a pleasant surprise. There are local fare abound so you don't have to go out and search for these local treats yourself, although the canned juice and baked goods left much to be desired. The pool was also a great place to bask in the morning sun, since they provide terrace seating at the pool side for having your meals. but do observe the smoking there. Almost everybody at the poolside table smokes so for me it ruins the great morning air, hence my choice to have my breakfast inside the cafe

The lobby bar is a small but comfortable place, with 3 desktop for your browsing need. The staff are helpful and willing to go the distance. My request for a prayer mat and towel change was promptly accommodated, as my request to have my document printed

I was being transported by my local business partner, so I would not be able to comment on the hotel transfer. But they do provide transfer between the hotel and the airport at a reasonable price, so better take that instead of risking being conned by the local taxi drivers

The hotel really made up in facilities and amenities despite it's somewhat less than desirable location compared to the other city hotels that has close proximity to the city's attraction, but given Padang's size and traffic I would certainly choose this hotel over others for its ability to compliment an otherwise placid business trip

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Abdullah H,

Mr. Abdullah H, once again, thank you for sharing your experience. For your next stay please don't hesitate to contact me directly and we hope your next visit will be more pleasant as the previous one.