“Unassuming outside, grand inside”

Emerald Garden Hotel
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed August 25, 2014

The hotel didn't look like much from outside. But inside, the renovations of a few years ago have imbued in it a 5 star feeling with its granite flooring. Everything was clean and workmen were cleaning the huge chandelier. The room and bathroom were clean too. Breakfast was wonderful, with local and western items. One of my party fell sick and we could not see any clinics in the area. We consulted Reception and was told they could call in a doctor. We were afraid it would be very costly. The doctor was an Indon Chinese and his fee was only 360,000 rupiahs. He advised us to get one of the bellboys downstairs to buy the medication from a pharmacy. That was good. We didn't have time to explore the other facilities nor the Chinese restaurant. Our trip was packaged from S'pore. I quietly checked out the hotel rates and was impressed that it was so cheap.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cyclogirl

Reviewed July 18, 2014

I am not expecting to have room at this level, super clean for an old hotel, And the reception are very friendly, and seem there are renovation is going on but somehow I didn't get disturbed by it, tell you the truth I didn't pick this hotel by my preferred however I feel lucky now as the experience stay at this hotel were quite enjoy full, next time I revisit Medan I will certainly have to stay again at this hotel, thank you

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Doddy A
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We were there in September 2013. It takes me too long to review because I were not back yet in my country. Now I have a chance to review on Emerald Garden International Hotel. My sincere thanks to the GM, Pak Jin Seah for his warm hospitality and his help that makes us feel at home. Through his guides on Medan City, we managed to find what we are looking for. The hotel room is clean and beautiful value for money. The food in the Chinese Restaurant, The Palace that was recommended by Pak Jin are pretty great! We enjoyed the buffet breakfast served at the buffet line. The Reception Staff are very helpful and friendly, including the Bellmen. The only place I did not visit is the Karaoke because I have kids with me. The hotel takes about 15 minutes to the city shopping mall which is not a problem to us because they have a Hotel transfer available. We really enjoy through out our stay and hope to stay at Emerald garden International Hotel again. Thank you to the GM, Pak Jin for making our stay an enjoyable and meaningful one!. I will see you and your staff again next year. Wish you and the company success always!

Room Tip: Look for the GM, Pak Jin Seah if you need assiatnce. A very warm heart GM. Always there to help his...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Freq T
Reviewed August 17, 2012

this is one of the best hotel in medan for me. at the first time i had a great doubt on this hotel. the reception area looks so chinese and remind me to small hotel at singapore.
but it was wrong, the room is so new... minimalist ambience and very clean.very goo.
unfortunatelly i don't have a chance to try their breakfast because every morning our my medan friends take me to get traditona breakfast outside hotel.
overall this is a good hotel and worth the cost

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank gondel g
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Emerald Garden is one of those hotels that could be categorized as half and half. The hotel hasn't able to show it's thorough comprehensive service and accommodation yet.

Accomodation :
The rooms was outstandingly clean and well maintained. the corridors were well polished. Room facilities, bathroom, carpet corridor, all of them were very nice. The environment and ambiance was worth every penny. Suddenly comfort comes at a very low price in Grand Emerald's room.
From the accommodation side however, I see 3 things that should be improved. first, the wireless internet connection should be free of hassle, it should be accessible with strong signals and the password should be able to be used for more than one device (right now they only give 1 dedicated voucher per day for one device per room. they will charge extra payment for more than 1 voucher per day per device)
Second, they should add more channels for television. I stayed for 3 nights and found the same movie at least twice a day. Should consider changing the provider as well.
Third, for safety reason, they should provide rubber mat in their showers. It is very slippery, and very dangerous(though I might say, the bathroom was very clean and tidy)

Food and beverage:
Food and Beverage definitely needs more attention. Restaurant service are far below standard, quality of food was poor, refilling dishes are very slow, and menu rotation was terrible.

I got the chance to talk to one of the manager. It seems that grand emerald is currently restructuring their business. The rooms were apparently new, the front office hospitality is improving, however, the reason behind the terrible F&B was because the management haven't got a qualified manager to take care the Food and Beverage of the hotel.

conclusion: worth the money, however I will not return to Grand Emerald until the Hotel has completed its evolution from all aspects of service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Travelling703
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The room is clean, comfortable and modern designs. Staff is very friendly and we were warmly welcome.Nice hotel and comfortable.

AZITA AMINUDIN
MALAYSIA
22nd Apr.2012

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AZITAKualaLumpur
Reviewed December 20, 2011

It took 2 hours to reach at Medan from Berastagi.I was really tired for me and my family.From the outside of the hotel, it looked very beautiful. The hotel looked very clean and big.
Pros:- 1. The room is big and it is clean.
2. The service was really good and the staff was helpful.
3. The have many facilities such as swimming pool,gym,karoke,elevator and etc.
4. The breakfast was buffet and really nice .

Cons:- 1. There is no comment.

TOTALLY I LIKE THE HOTEL VERY VERY MUCH .

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family