“Good,clean and strategic location”

Hermes Palace Hotel Medan - Managed By BENCOOLEN
Ranked #19 of 76 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

I always stay at hermes palace hotel every my business trip in Medan. This hotel have a strategic location, clean, nice room and good services from staffs. Just need to improve regarding breakfast buffet. Should be more variety of breakfast items

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Hermes_Hotel_Medan, Marketing & Communication Manager at Hermes Palace Hotel Medan - Managed By BENCOOLEN, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Ardy,
Thank you for the positive review and it is to our delight to know that you had a comfortable stay with us and enjoyed the comfort of our room, the hotel facilities, that the service was to your satisfaction. Thank you for your suggestion to offer a better breakfast variety.
We hopes to welcome you back to Hermes Hotel.

Danny
Marketing & Communication Manager

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel earlier this month. The check in is at 12pm so I had to wait for two hours as my flight was early in the morning.

While waiting in the lobby area, I thought it would be nice if the hotel offered us a drink but they didn't. So we decided to leave our luggages and headed to the Sun Plaza Mall to kill our time.

When we came back, the room was ready for us. Check in process was okay but I personally think the staff behind the counter could be a lil more friendlier. Why so serious? I think they were the only letdown during my stay here. I encountered 3 staffs on diff occasions and none of them smile or offered any help or suggestions with my questions. They simply stated the 'obvious' answer and get back to their computers. Wonder why they were behind the front desk. Sigh.

When we arrived at our floor, there was no air conditioning along the hallway so it was very warm there. Never experienced that before.

Room was okay and clean but the sink in the bathroom was slightly leaked plus the hairdryer has a weird-burnt smell that stayed on my hair so I just used it once. There were many tv channels offered so kudos for that. Wifi in the room was excellent too.

Breakfast was so-so (not much variety) but I really2 like the view overlooking the town of Medan (8th floor). Futhermore, the staff at the breakfast buffet was friendly and helpful so I really enjoyed my breakfast.

Overall my stay here was okay. Hopefully the hotel take notes on the few small but important issues stated here. Thank you.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Management response:Responded April 25, 2014

NEW HOTEL MANAGEMENT

Dear Miss Zhn,
Thank for your kind review. We are pleased that the staff left a good impression on you.
The NEW MANAGEMENT will look after your comments in regards to your bathroom and the breakfast selection. We look forward to welcome you soon.
Danny
Marketing & Communication Manager

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Delayed flight landed at the new Kualanamu International Aiport,transport from airport to the hotel cost Rp1500,000 the journey took one hour(no traffic jam).As always checking with Agoda is no problem the hotel front desk lady gives service with a smile,within minutes we are in the room because there are three lifts.Stayed on the fourth floor room without window,there are many facilities in the room ,split air conditioning,mini bar ,coffee and tea facilities ,safe deposit box ,hair dryer and good floe of hot and cold shower.Good varieties of buffet breakfast on the 11 floor.The satff are very friendly nad polite.

Room Tip: The room is not sound proof
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was stay there for couple of days and i found the hotel is pretty new and still look well maintain, i enjoy during my stay there and overall i satisfy stay in Hermes Medan.
Couple of note i want to convey are:
- The hotel is located in the downtown and easy to access in and out
- The Hotel was not that far from the Airport of Medan, but it might change once the Airport will moved to other place
- The Staff i founds is friendly though some people there is a bit tough and stiff but not for this hotel, mostly friendly
- And good room with value of money:-)

Some Advise and Suggestion:
- Please allow dial out from the telephone inside the room as i was try to call out but was not successful, even i ask to Operator but i am still didint make it.
- Wi-Fi in the room please provided, in fact they provide cable in the room. But in Lobby area wi fi is coverage:-)
- Variety of food on the breakfast must be upgrade so guest will have an option on the food and dishes.

Thank you and again, overall is good hotel, good value of money and good location!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Yoyokps76
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Initially we were looking forward to our stay in the hotel. However, there were several unwanted things that we were quite unhappy and maybe you should looked out for:
1) if you are given a Non-Smoking room, you are required to sign an "indemnity form"?! If you caught smoking, you'll be fine, forgot how much...
2) booked our trip months ago for 2 rooms, but were told we are given 1 smoking and the other non-smoking room. The reason because the hotel is fully occupied. Hesitantly we accepted, but once we got to the smoking room ....the room is filled with the smell of cigarette. We reported it to the reception and they promised us to "treat" the room. But after we came back from our dinner, the room still smells the same ...
3) leaking toilet pipes - thinking its useless to complain as they are fully booked ...we slept through
it.
4) aircon wasn't really working - it was set at 16 degrees and my daughter and i were perspiring
throughout the nigh, thus did not sleep well ...
5) insufficient toiletries like towels, tissue papers and toilet roll.
6) i think they are saving cost or the earth, no airconditioning along the corridor, just imagine its 34
degrees outside ...
7) do you really want me to carry on...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ming_Kai
Reviewed May 28, 2013

In May 2013, we stayed for 2 days in this hotel. we stayed on the 6th floor with a room with no windows, but the room did not feel cramped rooms and room decor is quite good, also the cleanliness of the rooms and the hotel is quite good, for a restaurant where we had breakfast located on the top floor with the room itself partly open air, for breakfast itself we feel pretty good added with a friendly service make this hotel worthy enough to be recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed in Hermes Palace for about one week. At first I stayed in the standard room which is essentially the same as the deluxe room. Only that is has no window. For me that is a no no because I hate the feeling of being locked up in a hotel room. Too claustrophobic!
The rooms are of average size, good enough for two persons with luggage. I wish they had more hangers in the cabinet to properly arrange clothes.
The bed is very comfortable, flat screen TV with international channels, free coffee and tea and water heater, a sparsely equipped mini bar and a small ref. Free wifi is provided. My standard room on the 6th floor had internetaccess via cable (only good for laptops) and after moving to the deluxe I luckily had also additional wireless connection for my phone.
The bathroom is sufficiently big with hot shower although the hot water could be a bit hotter for my taste. But no big deal, really. Overall, the rooms are quite nice, the brown thick carpets are perhaps not everyone's taste and show some cigarette burns.
Even when I don't exactly like Medan as a city the view out of the window on the 8th floor is nice. Even more so from the top-level Sirocco bar where breakfast buffet is being served. Breakfast is fine, a bit heavy on the warm meal side as expected in Medan. The staff is attentive and helpful.
The hotel also has a gym but I haven't tried it out.
For those who have business in downtown the location is ideal. Just a few minutes away from the Kesawan area and Merdeka Walk. Traffic, of course, is atrocious. But that is pretty much true for the entire city.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with windows. It makes all the difference.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business