“Clean & comfortable” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 69 Hotels in Medan
Shah Alam, Malaysia
“Clean & comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed at deluxe room just USD25 for one night/room (included breakfast). Additional bed will be charged USD12 included breakfast. From airport to the hotel take approximate 10-20 min. The hotel is located just next to the main road, same row with hardware shops and the street is quiet at night time (after business hours)

When we entered to the hotel lobby, the first impression was "WOW", a bit surprised cause it's doesn't look like budget hotel. Unfortunately, the receptionist we met a receptionist who can't speak in English, so we try to speak Bahasa language with him (cause we are Malaysian). The room is comfort & big, with the flat screen TV definetely is the best entertainment in room. Don't worry, bathroom also very clean. But, the soundproof is poor but we have no problem with this. Breakfast is very simple and don't expected more.

We do not have much time to explore the hotel surrounding due to we checked in at late everning. Take a 10 min walk there is one local restaurant, very hard to find a convenience shop nearby. Strongly advise seek for receptionist's assistance before walk out from the hotel.

We did not take the airport service from Hotel, due to we had hired a driver for this trip.

Overall, we're satisfied stayed in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Liiwa L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Executive rooms very comfortable and clean, basic and superior room not as much. During our stay the hotel was undergoing refurbishment and expansion, so the state of the rooms might change soon. Breakfast was largely Indonesian but varied enough to cater for all needs. Some staff members don't speak English and this was a problem at times.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CPu_2010
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

I booked this hotel purely because of the price ($25). I'm travelling on a budget but wanted something reliable for my first night in Indonesia, arriving very late at night. It far surpassed my expectations! The room was huge, cool and clean, and the bathroom spotless. I hadn't expected breakfast, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I came down the next morning to be greeted by a large, sumptuous buffet. The staff were overwhelmingly friendly and helpful (even by Indonesian standards) and went out of their way to look after me even in the middle of the night. The next morning they spent a good deal of time helping with my travel plans and negotiating with becak drivers for me.

My only quibble is the fact that I had to wait around a long time in the pick up (50,000 IDR) at the airport because the driver went off to find other passengers at the domestic arrivals. A bit annoying in the middle of the night.

The free wifi is a bonus.

Room Tip: Lookout fr special offers online.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank dutchj
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

After looking online (http://www.whatsonpenang.com/) for the best value deal for a one night stay I chose Grand Sakura Hotel for 2 reasons; price and airport access.
The reason for my travel was to renew my visa in Malaysia and I really just wanted the best value Hotel I could find and Grand Sakura pipped my last visits choice, My Dream Hotel in Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia.
I saw online that they had free airport transportation so on a budget made sure that I called up and booked this service to collect me from the airport. The driver was there ahead of me and without delay we were on the road to the Hotel.
As I had previously been to Medan 6 months ago it was somewhat familiar and the back-street short cuts did not make me nervous as it had done on my first visit. On arrival at the Hotel I was immediately impressed by the décor and headed straight to the check-in counter.
Service was polite and efficient but not quite friendly. The first question after completing the registration was for Rp 100,000 deposit for the mini-bar which I had no intention of using (this was also asked for at My Dream Hotel on my last visit) and declined to leave a deposit. This was taken abruptly and they then said that they would clear the mini-bar - fine.
The room was spacious and very well appointed and well worth the money paid.
Breakfast was included and I got up early to take advantage of it before Leaving for the airport. The breakfast was bland and nothing on the menu was remotely tasty - 2:10 for the food; the coffee was needed and more than drinkable.
On requesting the free transport to the airport I was informed that it was chargeable at Rp 50,000 (the same price you would pay for a taxi!!) and as this was unexpected came as a shock.
Overall it is a nice hotel with excellent rooms but the service and friendliness of the staff was much better at My Dream Hotel.

Room Tip: Check for airport transport and prices
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

The staff is very helpful. The transporter we booked last minute told us that he cannot send us to the airport, with the help of the hotel staff we only spend IDR100,000 instead of the transporter price at IDR200,000 right early of 4.30am. As promise by the staff, they will serve us early breakfast but they cannot make it on time. It is O.K. as long as we can reach the airport on time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

The hotel is just Rp7,000 by bechak(motorised trishaw) or Rp 30,000 using the hotel car, to the shopping area in Jl Perniagaan (for textiles & dresses: silk, Batik) and the famous nasi padang restaurants(there are also a few stalls selling traditional food within walking distance to the hotel). Whatever your travelling, eating, and shopping needs, the staff, especially the designated person(Mdm Rosta),drivers and receptionists are always willing to help. Our room was comfortable and efficiently maintained. The rates were very affordable. The complimentary breakfast was very modest, but they assured us of improvements in future.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple