“Cancel my booking as I arrived. Not worth it.”

Pondok Wisata Angel
Ranked #65 of 71 Hotels in Medan
Makassar, Indonesia
“Cancel my booking as I arrived. Not worth it.”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I booked in this hotel from Parapat after visiting Lake Toba so it was only about 4 hours drive, and I expected to arrived at 12 midnight. And when I arrived, tired after a rough short trip with small minibus, and expecting a good sleep, they just said that my room had been taken by another guest! They said that they just couldn't wait because the other guest had booked from the morning. Without a trace of guilt. I didn't bother to argue more as I was tired and I saw the lobby condition which was dirty, and suddenly opened my tablet for another midnight hotel searching...I was lucky this time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank Wildan S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Let's just get to the point here. If your walking into this hotel your going to regret it, the rooms are terribly maintained from the other stories I've heard and every bed has bed bugs and the staff could be the rudest people you've met. As we were checkin out we got into a verbal dispute with one of the male staff members and he told us that he doesn't trust any westerners because they don't respect him and he's dealt with them long enough to know this. He then continued to tell me that it's not hard for tourists to disappear around there and that it happens all the time. How this all came about was because we wanted to opt out of a bus ticket from them since we hadn't paid and hadn't signed anything for it yet and we had found it 100 000 rupiahs cheaper elsewhere!!!! They told us we couldn't cancel with out paying 50% of the ticket. It was incredible that he had the nerve to say this since HE OWNS A HOTEL (not to mention the fact that it is listed as the lonely planets "Our pick". This is just a heads up. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012
9 Thank CanadianLooniee

Travelers are raving about these Medan hotels

Colchester
Reviewed November 17, 2012

As somebody who has stayed in some hostels in which friends have showered in their socks or borrowed my flip flops, I am not averse to taking the rough with the smooth. This place though is something else, which left me sleeping on a black plastic bag, whilst gazing scornfully at the fiance while he slept. On arrival my fiance and his friend decided to check out the rooms, which on initial glance appeared fine. How wrong were they whilst the friends room was fine, the broken window greeted myself and my beloved as we took to our room. The decor is something to be desired dated and reminiscent of my brothers bedroom in the 80's, Ok I thought, when we deposited our belongings and went to the local mall to eat. When we returned I decided to shower, and had excrement flood up from the shower plug. At this point I decided I'd had enough laid out my black plastic bag and slept on it. I slept with the lights on to deter the visible cockroaches and this probably saved me from bed bug bites. Stay at your peril!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Fleamike
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Yup, definitely still bed bugs here. Staff knows it. Nothing's done. I'm confused by any review that states this place is "decent for a night." Everyone I spoke with who stayed there was bitten. I'm sure it's tough to get rid of bugs in a city like Medan but still...pretty nasty. I wouldn't stay here if I were you.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Fleamike
Beauty Point, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have stayed in much better accomodation for the price!!! our 1st night 100,000 got us a twin room on the top floor, I thought i had been attacked ( and i mean attacked!) by mosquitos but maybe it was bed bugs, 2nd night we ''upgraded'' to a 150,000 oom which was basically the same but with aircon, cold water shower so close to the toilet!!! toilet didnt flush and smelt all the time, only plus was the pillows were soft! We also enquired about the turtle they have at the front window, he was in less than an inch of water, so we put some more water in for him :( his life is very sad!! Nasi goreng vegetable was nice, as was the avocado chapatti, would probably look to spend an extra few dollars next time for peace of mind and comfort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank seashell609
lismore
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The rooms are tiny, and while I didn't get bittern, my friend got attacked by bed bugs.
Very noisy.
The bed I had was good and I slept well but for the same price there must be something better.

Room Tip: If you know how to spot bed bugs then make sure you check your room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank tcnct
Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Either angel need to do some work on the place or lower the price. Rooms are tiny- one person through the door at once. The bed takes up all the room, you can't move around inside at all. We had a twin, the beds were boxed in so if the person in the far bed wants to get out they have to walk over their mates bed. The walls need some attention- stained and chipped with no paint on some patches. Blankets are from an airline- great for a snooze on a plane, not a good nights sleep in a bed. Sheets had holes in. Bathroom is awful, the drain stinks out the whole room. There's no sink and no flush- I wouldn't even mention this but the scoop provided had a hole in it- useless! Oh and don't get me started on the cafe toilet! The tap drips away all day and night. The aircon makes a clicking noise now and again- its loud enough to wake you up. The noise from the road is constant and with the mosque next door the call to prayer will wake u up before 5am. At 130000 its totally overpriced for the standards. We've stayed in far nicer places for a fraction of the price.

• Stayed June 2012