“Oasis in Medan” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 69 Hotels in Medan
Bali, Indonesia
“Oasis in Medan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Medan is the third largest city in Indonesia. Visiting big crowded city like Medan make me need a place to get relax and rest in a proper way. Fortunately my business partner booked me a room in Aston City Hall. It was Perfect, located in the heart of Medan, in front of Merdeka Walk. The Staff was very helpful, Especially one of their front office officer name Raniesta Hutasoit. But i think they should add more staff in charge when hotel fully book, because respond to call to any department was very slow even when i called for order a wake up call and i should wait nearly half an hour to get my check out proceed and to get help from the room boy.
The room was great, clean and spacious. they also had a variety of pillow that the guest could chose.
the Breakfast was OK, with some local food but it had little varieties day by day. They did great, when i ordered takeaway breakfast. They gave me two big box of NASI GORENG with full condiment. It was surprise and i am very appreciated it.
Staying in Aston city hall was a nice experience for a newbie like me when visit Medan. Sure i will recomended Aston City Hall to everyone who plan togo to Medan

Room Tip: ask for the room in the higher floor since this hotel located in business area and the room facing...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Harinatha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Aston for Chinese New Year 2013. A couple things struck me. I used to stay at the Marriott but found their prices had gone up since my last visit. The Grand Aston seemed to offer good value.
Firstly the down side. Breakfast was not as good as the Marriott. Hot food should be hot - not barely warm. Not everyone wants to eat local foods. One thing the Marriott does well is the variety of Western breakfast. Go down and have a look at how they do it. Breakfast needs to be improved. Not everyone wants tea or coffee. I like a hot chocolate. The Marriott had that on my table in 5 minutes. The Grand Aston took up to 10 minutes and in the early days of my stay were thoroughly confused. During my stay the miltary were also staying. This caused every other guest local and Westerners to be treated very poorly including locking out lifts. This needs to be better managed in future. The security for vehicles was tighter at the Marriott - the checks were better. It is harder to just walk into the Marriott. The Grand Aston is much more open. The pool is nice but on one night they ran out of towels. I had to argue with the gym to get towels for our group. It should not be hard to supply towels - we were not leaving the hotel with them. Asking for my room card is unacceptable. I am a guest - give me a towel. The room safe failed to work and even after a manager coming up to fix it, it failed again.
NOW HAVING SAID ALL THAT HERE IS THE GOOD NEWS:
It is a very clean and well presented hotel. Despite the breakfast issues, the staff were pleasant and did all they could. It is almost like they are learning about Western likes. The location is fantastic being right across the road from Merdeka Walk. The rooms are well maintained. Try and get a corner room to get a view of two directions. For longer stays or with kids go for an apartment. Because the hotel is set back from the road, the traffic noise is almost non existent. Room service is excellent and the overall level of service from the staff is second to none.
So would I stay again--- absolutely. The Marriott has priced it self out of the market for me - for my visit they were around 25% more expensive. I have family in Medan so I am a client who will be going to Medan for at least another 40 years three times a year. A great value hotel that I recommend and now my Medan home

Room Tip: Get a corner room overlooking Merdeka Walk
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard H
Medan, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

The reception services was bad.
I was there on company outing. And when they noted that we are on company outing, their service dropped to 2 scale from 10.
What? The company paid for the room, so we don't deserve any good services?

The breakfast was ok, not much selection but ok
What I like the most is the swimming pool. It is under shade, so we won't feel the heat.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Ms. M. Kartini,

First of all we would like to thank you for staying at Grand Aston City Hall Medan.

Thank you for giving a valuable feedback and comments during your stay in our hotel.
I have shared you have experienced to our department concern for a better quality service given to all our customers in the future.
In the meantime we are developing to improve the breakfast menu variety and food quality in our restaurant and other outlets.
Ji Long, our Chinese Restaurant would have been one of our famous F&B outlets, full combination of Chinese menus, the creation of our Chinese Chef from Shang hai.
Once again thank you very much for the comments and looking forward to welcoming you back to Grand Aston City Hall Medan.

Sincerely yours,

Lake Toba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Now that the Marriott in Medan has increased its prices after the initial 'honeymoon' period, a friend recommended the Grand Aston which is about the same standard at half the price. The facilities, room standards, restaurant, bar and other facilities are to a high standard and the service is friendly and efficient.

Even the basis standard room is spacious and well appointed. The main downside was the lack of a safe in the room. I had assumed that every 5 star hotel catering to international travellers would have this facility.

The hotel is easy to find if you are driving, and it's conveniently located to shopping malls.

The choice of apartments is a bonus if you travelling in a group. The main restaurant is first class - ingredients are fresh and the food is properly prepared. Even though the chef over-cooked my steak, they cooked a new one perfectly. Regrettably wine and spirit prices are very high, but that's Indonesia-wide.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Bed was very comfy, room was pacious and location was perfect. Close to business district in town and more importantly close to rail station ( this is important as Medan airport will move to other area far away from city around end of 2013 they say and the reliable transport will be using airport train).

Breakfast was averagae, there was no changing menu during my stay there for a week so I mostly skipped my breakfast.

Sauna and hot n cold pool were nice and so quiet it's like your own private place :).

Service was satisfactory from the bellboy to housekeeping. I just wonder why there was no welcome drink provided by the hotel, no welcome fruit, cold towel ..well maybe I expect too much for a 4 star hotel.

Close to Tjong A Fie Mansion (a must visit), Tip Top restaurant and just across Merdeka Square where many cafes open till late at night.

Building was classic colonial building but the room was modern.

Enjoyable stay in short :)

Room Tip: Choose double bed if possble. The bed was so comfortable and better than the twin one. Ask room fac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear augin2,
Thank you for choosing Grand Aston City Hall Medan again for your recent stay. We appreciate your comment regarding the breakfast menu, we are planning to change the menu regularly and of course, adding some new menu. Beside, please allow me to introduce Ji Long Chinese Restaurant where you may enjoy special Chinese cuisine prepared by our dedicated Chinese Chef. I apologize if our staffs missed to pass the welcome refreshments to you, we'll make sure this won't happen again. Have a good day!

Best Regards,
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

stayed there for 4 nights. Very near to Medan shopping mall and across the road from Merdeka food court. Rooms were large and comfortable. Bathrooms very clean. In fact as the name says, its very Grand. Breakfast was excellent and staff called us by our first names on our 2nd morning in the restuarant. Only downpart was on our departure when we could not find the 2nd key card and were charged IR 30,000.00 for it. The guy at reception did not handle it diplomatically and also the way he called out to security to check our mini bar. He made us look like thieves, although we did not use anything from it. He could've handled it more professionally. Uptil today I still did not find the key and am sure it's still lying somewhere in the hotel.

Room Tip: choose a corner room which is always bigger, and keep an eye on your room keys. They charge if its...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fatima786,
Thank you for taking time to share about your recent stay with us. Greeting the guests personally is compulsory for the staffs of Grand Aston City Hall Medan. We are glad you are delighted. Charging lost key cards is one of our policies. However, I apologize about the way our staff inform it to you. I'll pass this comment along to that department and we'll make sure they handle it more diplomatically next time. We're looking forward to your next visit in the nearest future.

Best Regards,
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Let me share my review with pro and con....

Pros:
Located in the heart of the city.
5 min walking distance to kesawan square, where we can find tip top restaurant and tjong a fie mansion.
Merdeka walk just across the hotel.
The Room is very spacious.
Laura of front desk was nice, she remember the guests name.

Cons:
Lift was very annoying, took more than 4 minutes to get in, and on my last day, there' s a leakage from the lift's ceiling and make the floor wet.
The room interior not represent a 5star hotel.
Service was cold as vegetable, unless for door person.

Overall, on next visit to Medan, i'll try another hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank yuzajouxa
Dear yuzayakuza,
Your feedback and review is highly appreciated. Grand Aston City Hall Medan is located right in the center of Medan allowing easy access to almost every part of the city. We are glad you find it advantageous. Apparently, during the period of your stay we were experiencing some problems which caused leakage and affected some places including the lift's ceiling. We apologize about the inconvenience caused, we'll improve the maintenance as well as our service. Hope to welcome you again!

Regards,