Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan
$38
$24
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscambridge mallrooftop restaurantsmall mallbusiness tripbika ambonstrategic locationswimming poolstaying at this hotelvisit medanbuffet breakfastnice staysmoking roomstreet foodrecommended hotelfive star hotelnice roomchecking in
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My family and i (4 adults) visited Medan during the Eid holidays in August 2012. Briefly we were quite surprised with the room and decor, as we've stayed at Aryadutta before. The rate offered was inclusive breakfast and dinner, pretty amazing huhh... the food spread was enuf and tasty. they replenish the food promptly and the service was good.

The other reason why we picked this hotel because it's connected to a mall (Cambridge City square) with loadsa restaurants. The other close by mall is Sun Plaza, walking was quite tiring for me roughly around 15 min. it's a high end kinda mall.. Overall an average hotel to stay with attractive surroundings..

Room Tip: The hotel serve good food and connected to shopping mall .Corner rooms are more spacious.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
GSBM, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment regarding your recent stay with us!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and in the meantime, if we may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your patronage.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I booked online at their website a few weeks prior to my arrival in Medan. Upon arrival at 3pm, I tried to check-in but unfortunately, I was told that my room was not ready. The front staff informed me that I have to wait an hour for a non-smoking deluxe room. No compensation or free drinks/snacks were offered. I am pondering, what is the purpose of having guest to book and paid in advance when upon checking in; was told to wait for 1 hour (the check in time is 1pm). This really gave a bad first impression.

Frustrated, I get the smoking room (which was available immediately) and the bellboy escorted me with my luggage to my room. The room was very nice, with the exception that my view is surrounded by Cambridge Condominium. Everything in the room and bathroom has been reviewed already.

They have a gym at 7th Floor, but it is very basic, with 2 treadmill, facing the pool. For better facility-gym, take the lift to Ground Floor and proceed to the Mall and to Lower Ground floor. In the mall, there is the same gym as the one in hotel, but with more equipment; and it is free. Just sign your room number and exchange the hotel card with a towel card.

Breakfast is standard. As for the internet, it operates on wifi, based on per device. Ask for additional internet voucher from receptionist if necessary; it's free.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GSBM, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

It has been our great pleasure to welcome you at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan and thank you for sharing your feelings about your stay with us.

We were very sorry that we could not offer you a non-smoking room as requested during your reservation. We fully understand your dissatisfaction; a non-smoking room should have been blocked prior to your arrival. please rest assured that training for all our reception staff will be emphasized to prevent this type of incident from happening again.

It is feedback such as yours that enables us to reinforce the quality of our service and we really appreciated your constructive comments.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Thanks to previous comment made, we enjoyed complimentary internet services in different devices.
Check in process was smooth. The Reception was very informative.
There will be fine charge if you smoke in non smoking room at 2 millions rupiahs.
Room and bathroom are spacious especially in the corner room.
Lighting is a bit dark for business travelers.
The breakfast was a bit slow. I asked for 1 more cover and the staff asked too many questions that in the point, she did mind to add the cover until the guest coming...:(
For coffee lover, they offer latte or cappuccino too instead of regular one. But hot Chocolate will be an additional charge.
A lot of trainees and lack of supervision in Breakfast time.
You will see, it took long for them to see our dirty plates and picked them up.
Last, the staff in Spa reception... she was not friendly, not welcoming, talking to the guest like wanted to fight, and not knowledgeable.
The spa locker are using the wash basin as their own and not alert when the guest was coming in. They just continued what they were doing...:(((

Room Tip: Take the corner room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Medan.

Thank you for taking the time out to inform us of the difficulties you have encountered. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unacceptable service provided to you by the Spa Reception. We ask for your kind understanding and assure you that your comments have been of value to us to provide the best possible standards to our guests at all times.

Regarding the service provide by our staff on the breakfast time, rest assured that we will emphasize on training for our future guests.

Likewise, we are pleased to read that you appreciated the service of our receptionist. Your kind words have been passed on to the Front Desk team.

We hope that this experience will not impair your trust in Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan and that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We recently stayed here for 4 nights and were very impressed. It was a short drive from the airport and has a very big shopping centre attached to it, with lots of places to eat! The room was very spacious and a magnificent bathroom with a huge dinner plate size shower head!!! Breakfast was excellent, although not quite as much choice as I have experienced in other places. Had dinner at the rooftop restaurant on the first night. Outdoors, overlooking the city lights... beautiful meals, was a lovely night! Highly recommend this as a place to stay if in Medan!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
GSBM, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your recent experience in Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

It is feedback such as yours that we are able to improve the quality of our products and services to better meet the needs of our guests.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

When we first checked in, I was impressed with the location, newness of the hotel and good conditions of the rooms. There's a shopping mall right behind the hotel ... one of only two modern shopping complexes in Medan city. The other larger one, Sun Plaza is about 800 metres away and walkable. Two streets away is a street which sells the local cakes ("kuey") which Medan is famous for. And, it's quite near the central business district. I would be happy to stay hear during my next business trip. However, I did not have a very good encounter with a particular staff at the pool/gym/wellness centre. Yes, we were there during a local holiday, the hotel was packed with locals, many taking advantage of the situation and packing whole families of 4 or 5 into a room which is meant for two and sending the whole family to the small pool as well. So, I can see why a certain element of control is required. When I asked for towel to use in the gym, she impolitely told me I was only allowed a maximum of two to a room and although I hadn't taken my towel, she insisted I had. A standoff lasting a minute or two ensued before a more discerning colleague stepped in to say that I really hadn't take a towel. When my wife tried to book a massage with the same difficult staff, she insisted that my wife book a time which suited her schedule and made no attempt to check the schedule and accommodate my wife's requested timing. Wifey was quite flexible and so long as it was no immediately as my wife wanted to spend half an hour at the gym before the massage and was happy to do it anytime later including the next day. Naturally, my wife didn't bother try booking her massage again after that experience. Another negative was the way the free internet access was administered. We were given a coupon which only allowed one device to access the internet at any one time. There were two of us. These days, a typical business traveller would have at 2-3 devices - phone, laptop and a tablet. A later found out that it's possible to get two or more coupons so my suggestion would be to ask for more than one if there are more than one person sharing the room requiring access to the Internet or if you have multiple devices.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shrek-loves-Fiona
GSBM, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.
It is valuable for us to improve our facilities and services to ensure you enjoy to stay with us.

We were deeply sorry to read about your unfortunate experience at the Gym & Spa. Your comments have certainly raised many areas of concern that need to be addressed and will inspire us to strive harder in servicing our future guests.

Your remark has been carefully noted and we can assure you that the necessary steps have been taken to avoid such inconvenience in the future.

We hope this unpleasant incident will not deter you from patronizing us, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family again during your next visit to Medan.

Best Regards,