“still the best in town”

JW Marriott Hotel Medan
Ranked #1 of 72 Hotels in Medan
“still the best in town”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

this is my second staying in the hotel, the cleanness and the wide room are the aspect I always noticed during the visit. Besides the breakfast is very good and there are many variety of food and only half of it I can tasted. One thing that the hotel should considered asap is to provide the free wifi in the guest room. Currently guests have to pay about US $ 7 for 2 hour wifi service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Management T, JW Marriott Medan at JW Marriott Hotel Medan, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks so much for your review. We really appreciate your wonderful feedback and we're glad your stay was good. We're pleased to hear your room met your expectations, and that our restaurant could provide great food.

We are honored to be your Medan hotel of choice.

The Management of JW Marriott Medan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Okay, I will go back to Medan, and I will stay at the JW, but something was missing. First,they missed my pick up at the
Airport. Second, I had to tell them I was an elite gold member. Third,the elite lounge was lacking attentiveness. The coupon for a free drink at the lobby bar was a bait and switch, really!?!?! Anyway, lets talk about the positives, it was a great property in a great location. The room was nice, the gym was nice, the people were nice. I would go back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Management T, JW Marriott Medan at JW Marriott Hotel Medan, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We're really sorry about the problems encountered at your stay. We'd like to apologize for the inconvenience it caused you. We have notified our team and they are working hard to fix the issue and to improve our service.

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel and our gym. We're so please you enjoyed yourself and hope we will see you again in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I choose this hotel because of the good comments.My first stay at the JW Marriott Hotel is really a 5-star hotel.Good service and good maintenance. Each time to the hotel to check whether people or car. There are attentive staff (Charles) is responsible for the lobby concierge. He introduced us some major attractions information. For me, location is not very good, because there is no cafes and places of entertainment around. Every time they went to be to rent a car. The rooms and beds are very comfortable, have a good sleep every night. Breakfast is pretty good though they are the same, also enjoyed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks so much for your feedback. We really appreciate your wonderful comments and are so pleased you have made us your hotel of choice in Medan.

We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Medan.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I don't like to bash hotels unnecessarily because I can be pretty easy. But I guess I stay in lots of 5 stars hotels and this Marriott Medan hotel was just disappointing.

1. What I noticed was sometimes they would shut-off the air condition in the hallways and the lobby which is strange for Marriott franchise. I couldn't confirm this whether they have problems with their air-condition but it seems like they shut-it off purposely.

2. The condition of the showers weren't in tip-top shape. They need to check each room and do some quality-control on the knobs of the shower, the shower head flow was just in several directions and I was in room 2902, the executive room.

3. Yes, I can be lazy to wear my shoes and just wear sandals walking around hotel, and you know what, when I went to the executive lounge and ready to get some food, the staff there asked me to get back to my room and change to my shoes. Okay, I can accept the warning and maybe next time i shouldn't do it but I just don't feel that it's a good customer service that i have to get back to my room again and change because they said that this is EXECUTIVE people eat and chat so I should be always proper!

4. I brought my 3 year old son with me to the executive lounge for breakfast and again the executive staff told us that kids couldn't go inside this lounge. So, yeah, I was furious, and I simply couldn't understand their rules. Oh by the way, the lounge was practically empty since I guess it's the low season but the fact is we paid to be there and if I couldn't bring my son to be there and if I can control the noisiness of my son then they shouldn't have any problems with it. They simply stated the fact that this is EXECUTIVE LOUNGE so only adults can be there or something like that.

But the plus side, I have to give that the staff tried hard, it's just that their management taught them strange rules. Hey, I get that sometimes you have to warn your customers to follow your rules but there's a certain way to do it, or be subtle to do it.

If i am in the area, I am sorry but i wouldn't want to stay here because of the disappointment of their overall rules.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is probably the best hotel in medan.
The rooms has high quality bed, with lux decoration around, and always clean. I think it was designed very carefully. I didnt notice any single thing is misplaced, for instance, guest can still watch tv while taking a bath, taking a shower or while going to toilet - either through the bathroom glasswall or through a mirror. The bathtub itself has shower that can be extended. What an idea.
The food fulfil my expectation for 5 star hotels: delicious, wide varieties, with good service. However, the pool, although acceptable, is at borderline. i think they should renovate it to make it special.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank pakspa
Management T, Management at JW Marriott Hotel Medan, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear "pakspa",
Thank you very much for staying at the JW Marriott Medan, as well as for taking the time to post your reviews. It is our great pleasure to hear that you had an enjoyable staying with us. Furthermore, we appreciate your positive comments on our food quality and your great experience on our room layout which suits every need of any holiday maker or business travelers like you. We will share your comments to our associates and I believe they will be very happy to read it, too. Once again, we thank you for your support of the JW Marriott Medan and we hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you again in the near future to show our dedication and commitment to outstanding services. Please feel free to contact us personally if we may be of any assistance pertaining to a future booking.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Carrying a Marriott brand, this hotel is clean, safe and beautiful. That's what you need when staying at a hotel. However, it shows some signs of aging. Perhaps some minor touch up to the rooms is required. The food is good, service is excellent. Location is good, as it is just 20 minutes away from the airport. For business traveller this is one of the best hotels in Medan. The price is also very reasonable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear "Davida_Davida",
Thank you very much for staying at the JW Marriott Medan, as well as for taking the time to post your positive reviews. It is great to hear that you had great experience and furthermore, we appreciate your constructive feedback on some part of hotel area which starts looking a bit aging and we always do our best to upkeep our property. For business traveler like you, I am agree that JW Marriott Medan is a great choice to stay since we had upgraded our hotel on internet connection and all areas are equipped with Wi-Fi connection. Once again I thank you for your support to the JW Marriott Medan and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance in the future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have now stayed at the Marriott in Medan twice our first visit we stayed in a deluxe room and were impressed with service and the smorgous board style breakfast which I must say is amoung the best in the world we have tried. On our second visit we checked into an executive room which comes with the executive lounge and personalised check in and check out. The room was much the same as the deluxe but on a higher floor. The main difference being the free snacks and beverages served in the lounge. The drinks list is quite extensive and is inclusive of wine, beer and spirits. I must say the extra dollars for the excutive lounge is well worth it we also was able to check out from the lounge which was comforting and made check out easy. The staff in the lounge must also get my thumbs up they were friendly professional and eager to please. All in all a 5 star experience.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear "stevehearne",
Thank you very much for returning to stay at the JW Marriott Medan, as well as for taking the time to post your reviews. It is our great pleasure to hear that you had an enjoyable staying with us, and happy to hear to you had enjoyed very much our services at Executive Lounge which is truly reflecting our 5 stars hotel services. Furthermore, we appreciate your positive comments on our breakfast variation and personalize service of our associates in our lounge. Once again, we thank you for your support of the JW Marriott Medan and we are all having the pleasure to welcoming you back to JW Marriott Medan. Please feel free to contact us personally if we may be of any assistance pertaining to a future booking.