“Keep your bags locked when you are not in the room!”
Review of Garuda Plaza Hotel

Garuda Plaza Hotel
Ranked #56 of 76 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel a lot for 6 years, and on my last trip before I exit from my work stint in Indonesia I had the worst experience in this hotel. Just as you look forward to going back to the room after a long and tiring day out in the rural areas for work, but I discovered my luggage has been looked through and my worst fears came true. One of my post valuable item, a gift from my family, an iPod was missing along with the cable and casing and accessories. If a hotel room cant even provide safety and security when you leave for the day, I dont even feel secured sleepign at night too. Apparently I was not the only victim. One of my clients, also complained that her locks were being broken at her luggage. Apparently, Housekeeping or whoever was really on a 'shopping spree' to get as many valuables they can get. So, if you really have to stay here, please lock your bags and dont leave anything valuable in your room while you are out.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank juliabee1976

Reviewed September 7, 2010

I have make a confirmation to coming to medan since 3 week before.
when i arrive, no body representative pick me n spouse in the airport.That time already 12.00 midnight. Till end, nobody pick up us in the airport.
Bad.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

This hotel is accepable. We had one of the new rooms, wich are modern en comfy but really small. Very noisy airco!
Staff is friendly and food is ok. I guess if you have to stay in Medan why not here, if you don't, get out of Medan as soon as possible as this is probably the most ugly and annoying places in Asia!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Been to Medan (arguably the ugliest and most annoying city in Indonesia) several times and this hotel, which seemed to offer good value for money, was always fully booked when I inquired. As competition has sharpened these days in Medan, due to some new openings of middle-class-hotels, I was luckier this time.
Well yeah, it was CHEAP (booked through KAHA who were as always by far the cheapest, 290.000 room only or 330.000 with 2 BF) , but that was all about it.
The location is not bad and very near to the airport, but the hotel is OLD, or should I rather say VERY OLD. I chose the cheaper "Superior" version, as I knew I would "splurge it out" the following weekend back in Jakarta in a decent 4-star. well, nothing "superior" with this room, just very OLD, and particularly the carpet looked as if it has been in use in an office for the past 20 years. it was NOT run-down, just everything very very old. most probably, the DELUXE rooms are more nice as they have been renovated, cannot comment on them, though.
Good thing is that the staff is - as has mentioned by other users - indeed very friendly and cordial, the entire ambiance is almost like 4-star, unfortunately, the rooms are maybe just 2,5-stars nowadays. bathroom had the usual standard amenities plus hairdryer and very nice new giant towels of a heavy quality, but I experienced some mould on the ceiling. room has coffee-making facilities plus a stocked Minibar at acceptable prices. the management advertises free WIFI in all rooms (which was actually the reason why I chose to stay here), but it was annoyingly slow and disconnected at least 15 times that evening, and the signal was extremely weak (just 1 or 2 out of 5 on the scale), even my room was located in the middle of the floor and not just in a dark hidden corner. avoid the rooms on the 2nd floor, as they are facing a building just 2 Meters away where hotel staff is doing their work and can watch what naughty things u do in your room, unless u close the wooden sldiing door at the window (no idea why they dont have a curtain instead), which will of course block the daylight entirely as well. breakfast was nothing to write home about, just "sarapan biasa" as Indonesians would say. an almost entirely vegetarin affair, I did not see any sausages, ham, chicken or something like that which can be actually found at any middle-class hotel in Indonesia. the "orang juice" was a disgusting clear yellow-coloured sugarwater, one of the worth I ever had in my life. Good thing about the BF: coffee is nice and they have a waffle-station, which I made use of, as the choice of food was somehow limited otherwise. there is a small pool, but as has been reported already, the location is very odd, as u will be surrounded by diners sitting at the coffee shop. no provace whatsoever, and obviously no one actually uses the Pool. there are plenty of airline-offices on the hotel premises, such as Lion, Air Asia and more, which is an advantage of course. okay, for the price you actually can not complain much, but in case I find a hotel which offers free in-room-internet as well, I will probably choose another place to stay next time I am in Medan. A newer one.
sorry, no pictures as I forgot my digital cam in the seat-pocket on a domestic Lionair-flight a few days ago, including 600 pics that I couldnt back up cause my card reader was broken and very difficult to get one for my xD-picturecard :-((( . and inquiry at the Lion Air "lost-and-found-office" was "negatif". it's Indonesia after all, a poor country....

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank EurasiaVoyager
Reviewed December 16, 2009

I only stay 1 night, just because the location and once like the coffee shop,

I choose the std superior room, which is old room but clean, only minor spot, all work properly even the old tube tv with international channel and comfort bed,

But the odor from sewage is intolerable, lucky I was only 1 night and only spend little time for sleep then check out in the morning after breakfast,

My suggestion, if you really want to stay in this hotel, try the renovated room, and avoid the old room,

Coffee shop also now full of smokers, despite the comfy sofa, its really unhealthy. they should make spearation for the non smoker s

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Hi. Stayed there for 2 nights in early november 2009. When i first arrived i was under the impression that the hotel had a slight exalted opinion of itself . However couple of nights stay changed this :Very friendly staff, great buffet breakfasts, free wireless, modern rooms and, much to my suprise a gym. keep an eye out for big discounts on rooms. I think mine was about 40% off making it 390,000 a night. Before i stayed here i was in another nearby spot, albeit it cost half as much but it was terrible and i wasmore than happy to pay double for this place. Its close to Yuki plaza shopping centre with endless taxi drivers and motos outside the front door.

Biggest complaint: the pool. Nice size pool but a total lack of privacy due to the restaurant tables surrounding it. I slipped in there for what i thought would be a quiet swim only to have a group of business people walk in and occupy all the tables right around me. I guess the pool is more for display and if i had one of the only pools in Medan i would want to show it off too. But for the tourist it would be much more comfortable on top of the building or in a nice graden somewhere out the back. Also if you are here to meet fellow backpackers than this isnt the place. More of a business hub but if youve been roughing it through Sumatra and want a bit of luxury,than this is a good place to unwind and heal those tired legs.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank danvan_9
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Garuda Plaza is very simple hotel. Near to Airport. We booked 3 rooms. Checked-in was great. Rooms are cleans. Near to city. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family