“With issues”

Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Medan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“With issues”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the Aryaduta Medan from 8 to 11 August 2013 over the Hari Raya weekends

On choice of choosing the hotel was due to previous favorable service during my previous stay in February 2012, which I posted in Tripadvsor, as well in my traveling blog. Now, I have opined otherwise.

1)First of foremost the over charge of the amount of USD. 24.30 during should not have happened in the first place; anyhow, the GM, Herman Kemp took the up the issue personally and the refund was reimbursed which I understand the hotel has to bear a higher than refund bank charges, however, there were no further courtesy reply from the hotel after I took time to write and inform of my receipt of the payment
2)In view of the foregoing I was offered an upgrade for my future stay but I was not too sure on my possible return, as my direct pool access room does not quite live to its standard of service, as the tea and evening refreshment took ages to be delivered, not to mention the quality of food and some of the staff at the Kitchen restaurant did have attitude problem.
3)The airport transfer is longer available citing a further airport, executive lounge is not longer in operations despite having to book for a room as advertises on such service availability, as it claimed as per the offerings. It was misleading to consumers at large.
4)Among the worse is namely the unprofessional handing of reservation staff who failed to tend to need and questions on enquiry by customer prior to the arrival. In addition, there is staff who were unsured of the hotel product offerings and required checking with management, take ages on the reply.
5)Nonetheless, there have been some favorable dealings with Mr. Tri. and Mr. Bambang who the latter personally saw through the ordering and delivery Mika Ambon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AryadutaMedan, General Manager at Aryaduta Medan, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Lifesacupcake,

As per our e-mail contact, we do apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. We have taken several steps to amend certain points mentioned by yourself to make sure the situation does not re-occur in the future.

Regarding the over-charge on your final bill, again we apologies, and as per our contact we have refunded the charge to your account. We have noted your comments regarding the tea and refreshment service and quality and will make sure to improve our services on this matter.

The airport transfer as per our e-mail contact is no longer complimentary due to the opening of the new airport in Medan which is substantially further away than the previous. We can offer a charged airport transfer upon request. Your comments regarding the offering of our executive lounge has been taken of our website to avoid confusion and false advertising.

Finally we will make sure with our reservation staff that any requests by our guests are handled swiftly and efficiently by improving their product knowledge and costumer handlings.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the courtesy and actions of some of our staff members, we will make sure to share this with them.

Best Regards,

The Management at Hotel Aryaduta Medan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The traffic, heat, noise, pollution and chaos of Medan can be pretty frustrating to travelers sometimes. And Aryaduta fills that gap and provide you that peaceful respite you needed badly. The rooms were clean and it has a little veranda that faces the pool! Services from the hotel staff were prompt and friendly. And it's only a 10 mins drive to the train station, which means getting to the airport is a breeze.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AryadutaMedan, General Manager at Aryaduta Medan, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear BryanMah,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It was a pleasure having you at Hotel Aryaduta Medan. We are pleased to read that you found our hotel up-to your standards, that you en enjoyed our services and that you found our staff prompt and friendly.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Hotel Aryaduta Medan in the future.

Wishing you a pleasant week.

Kind Regards,

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

As most of us seasoned travelers know, there are two key conditions for a reasonably good stay in any hotel. One is a good, clean bed with a mattress that suits our needs. The other is a functional, clean bathroom.

This hotel is conveniently located, reasonably priced, and with relatively good service. However, three nights ago I was shocked to experience a luke warm shower. The following, I asked the front desk to fix the problem while I was away for the rest of the day and they promised to send someone up immediately to fix it. That evening, after returning tired and dirty from a long day of traveling to a mining site, I was disappointed to find yet another luke warm shower. More importantly, I also noticed that mold and mildew was building up around the corners of the grout in the shower.

Yesterday, upon returning from yet another mine site visit, I again asked the front desk to fix the problem and they sent someone up to repair. There was a maintenance worker waiting for me in front of my room but we were both surprised to find that my room card was inactivated and no one answered the man's calls on his walkie talkie to open it up. I ended up going back to the front desk to get someone to correct the problem and open my room.

Finally, the maintenance worker checked my shower and spent ten minutes on it before coming back to me and saying the left and right faucets were installed backwards. The hot water was on the right side and the cold water on the left. He asked me to "ignore the markings on the faucet for left and right" and apologized for the mix up. Upon taking a shower and checking the faucets, I was amused to see that neither handles were marked.

The hotel should have immediately offered me a new room and addressed the problem while I was away instead of subjecting me to two nights of luke warm showers. Also, their house keeping staff must thoroughly clean the showers as mold and mildew doesn't make for a relaxing experience.

Room Tip: When you check into this hotel, you might want to ask for a room with a view to the pool. My room w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
AryadutaMedan, General Manager at Aryaduta Medan, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear IraHata,

Thank you for choosing our property for your last visit to Medan. First of all we would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. All points mentioned by you should never happen and we will be sure to improve on this. You are right, we should have offered to move you to another room, while we fix the issue with the hot water.

We have noted your concerns regarding the water and the mildew in the bathroom, we will follow up asap and make sure to control this situation better. We do value your opinion, and we feel that we are definitely capable of extending a better quality of service and product than you received during your last stay. Therefore if you are to choose our property again in the near future, please feel free to contact us directly at reservation.medan@aryaduta.com, and we will gladly upgrade your booking to a higher category room including complimentary fruit basket and afternoon tea.

Thank you again for your review, looking forward to your next visit to Medan.

Kind Regards,

singapore
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here from 9 aug to 11 aug 13.

We arrive around 11pm, because we just come back from Lake Toba.
The check in is fast, but something funny happens. I already booked for extra bed, but the guy at the guest service said that my extra bed will be my own expense, I said NO, I already paid to my Travel agent for all of this. After that he checked again and said OK.

The room is nice with the view to the city, the extra bed also from King Koil, nice to sleep in.

The 1st day we had breakfast is very crowded, almost all the food is finish and haven't been top up. Even we want to drink coffee and juice, not clean glass or cups.

We have to check out on the 11th Aug morning (really early) due our morning flight and the new airport quite far, my husband called the guest service on 10th Aug night, asking them whether we can packed our breakfast because we also don't know whether the new airport have a descent restaurant to eat.
The guest service said OK and will packed us bread for 3 person and deliver to our room on 6am. We waited and never come.
When I do my check out on 11th Aug morning I am too sleepy to asked to the guest service.

The hotel in strategic place attached together with the Paladium Mall.

But next round I go to Medan I think I want to try Grand Aston due their location in front of Merdeka Walk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AryadutaMedan, General Manager at Aryaduta Medan, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear mikhairov,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Aryaduta Medan for your last visit. We have noted your comments regarding the miscommunication with our front office. We will make sure to train our staff accordingly to improve our services here.

Regarding your comments on our breakfast service and the take away breakfast we will make sure to investigate this, and to ensure this does not happen again. We are pleased to read however that in general you found our rooms comfortable and that the pricing of our hotel is to your liking.

Thank you once more for your comments, wishing you a pleasant week.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Originally I am from Medan but live in England and in between I travel a lot. Hotel Aryaduta Medan is one of my favourites. Very comfortable rooms, nicely decorated and surprisingly larger than usual open air swimming pool considering the hotel is on a rooftop (9th floor and upwards).
Most of the rooms have amazing city views, the others overlook the pool. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Very generous and good quality breakfast buffet and also an excellent in room massage, just what you need after a long flight. Staying in Aryaduta will guarantee a good sleep and relaxation when you are in Medan. As a frequent guest, I'm impressed by how welcome I feel by the staff especially Mr Saul Panggabien who's always greeted me like an old friend. It's my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: If you go for a Deluxe room, choose Deluxe Twin in the corners as they are bigger than usual.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AryadutaMedan, General Manager at Aryaduta Medan, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear lily B,

Thank you for your kind review of our property. We are please to read that you found our product up-to your high standard and that you find our staff friendly, helpful and welcoming. We will be sure to share your experiences with our staff as well.

Please let us know in advance if you are coming to Medan once again, we will make sure that the room of your choice is ready for you.

Looking forward to your next visit to Hotel Aryaduta Medan.

Best personal regards from Mr. Saul Panggabean and Kind Regards,

Jakarta
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I chose the hotel to enjoy a little bit of luxury, and I can say that I enjoy my stay at Aryaduta.
The interior of the rooms that I stayed in (I travel with family, stayed in 2 connecting rooms) are different from one another. One of the rooms is smaller and funnily shaped while the other one is regular shaped and significantly bigger. But it was not a problem as the facilities were the same. The location of both rooms are very far from the elevator (I don't mind walking but the distance is a bit too much). I didn't specify my preference towards smoking/non smoking, I ended up getting the smoking room, which is fine by me, but to some the smoke could be disturbing (remember to specify your preference if you're particular about smoking)
The breakfast is nice, could've been better but it was good enough in terms of variations and flavor.
I recommend this trip if you're looking for some luxury and good location, but if you're looking for hotels with cheaper price and good value, you might wanna look for other hotels.

Room Tip: tell them you prefer those closer to the elevators, as some rooms can be really far from the elevato...
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Nice and beautiful room. Staffs are generally friendly. Rooms are spacious and my room overseeing the city of Medan, it is beautiful at night. Overall, it is a great hotel and I am great I choose this hotel.

Most local here are friendly and helpful, however I met with snatched thief while sightseeing on a motorbike (tuk-tuk), thanks god they did not managed to snatched my properties, however I was dragged and fall down from the bike, injuries on my leg and hand. I am lucky that I did not lost my passport and important documents.

A piece of advise, stay alerted whenever we are. Even though, most peoples here are still kind and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family