“the best digs in bukittingi”
Review of Hello Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bukittinggi
Hello Guest House
Ranked #1 of 30 Bukittinggi B&B and Inns
London
“the best digs in bukittingi”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel is new (open since November) and is the best budget hotel in town. There's a couple of tables outside to meet other travelers and it has a public computer and wifi. The owner speaks perfect English and is always willing to help; the other members of the family don't really speak english but will phone the owner to answer your questions.

It is very clean, reasonably priced and unlike most places has a dorm.

If no-one is outside it does close at 11 - there is a sign saying this but it is easily missable as I found out one day as I was locked out.

Bukittingi is a pleasant town to base yourself for the surrounding countryside - beware though, bring nuclear strength ear plugs as all over town the prayer calls follwed by preaching, followed by prayer calls starts at 3.30am and goes on until about 7am - and no, that is not a typo!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank bedouin-londoner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is a family run guesthouse in Bukittinggi. I've stayed here twice, once with my friend and once stayed in the dorm room. The location is at the center, but also near a mosque where they start praying at 5am, you can hear it from the dorm room upstairs so better stay in one of the rooms if you want to have a good undisturbed night rest.

Breakfast was not included but there was a promo when we were there. Ling was a great cook, he made delicious french toast with bananas and chocolates. Also arrange for me a motorbike w/driver tour for a very reasonable price.

Their beds and pillows are the most comfortable I've seen in Sumatra :) guaranteed for a good sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Desiree M
Bekasi, Indonesia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

feels like home. this guest house is simple and clean, and the location is near to any good place to visit in bukit tinggi. rates are budgeted. this guest house operated by a family and all of them are nice. you will find a simple map to visit on the front desk, and you can reach all places on foot. nice, isnt it? :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hendrik_Benyamin
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Someone told me when I go to Bukittingi, I must stay at hello guesthouse. It has a dorm with warm water shower and everything is nice and clean :D It located two doors next to Canyon caffee where you can get youre breakfast. Location is really good, you are in short time at the clock tower. Ling speaks English very well and she helped me out a lot with arranging plane ticket, airport transfer ed. She knows a lot and is so sweat and helpfull! I enjoyed my stay very much :)
Tip: bring earpluggss because its near to mosque :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank HannaDuckie
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

When I plan to visit Bukittinggi,I think to find budget hotel, then started to search on tripadvisor, I found out that Hello Guest House is the best rating, so I contact the owner by texting. It's really funny tough when turn out Ling is someone that I knew years ago, hahahaha..., world is really a small place.
I spent 3 nights at Hello Guest House with my husband last March and really feel like stay at my own home, Ling and her parents are very welcome, kind and treat us as family.
The room is clean, have water heater in bathroom, free wifi, free tea and coffee..., and had opportunity to meet other travelers from other side of the world.
Ling, please tell your mom that I love the avocado :)
When oneday I back to Sanjai City, definitely will stay there again.
Hope to travel together with you sometime, Ling. Have a good life and success for you.
Regards to your parents. Hug...

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Theodorine K
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was my 5th times visiting Bukit Tinggi town in West Sumatra province. Most of the time I like to stay in one of the hotel around Jalan Teuku Umar, the reason is close to central, easy access to it famous tourist attractions like the Jam Gadang (Clock Tower), Upper and Lower Market, Panorama Sihanok Canyon and Great Walk of Koto Gadang.

My very first time stay at Hello guesthouse, the impression about what a real hospitality that Hello guesthouse is still leave a nice mark and memory in my mind. Ling the owner and her mom is very helpful with all of valueable infos of where to go and how to get there also they are very kind and warm persons. Ling speak very good English and also many times do a backpacking so her knowledge is very impressive. Even Ling's mom only speak little bit English but she and Ling will always do the best to accommodating our need.

Was stayed in Family room even I was there with other friend and stay for 4D 3N, with simple, comfort and clean beds its all that we need as traveler.

The noise from the mosque can be quite annoying but from my experiences nearly all hotels along jalan Teuku Umar when its worshiping times then its quite loud but after all guests get used to it.

I highly suggest to all traveler/backpacker to stay in Hello Guesthouse whenever stay and visit Bukittinggi.

Goodluck for Ling and Hello guesthouse :)

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Mas_ari83
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

When I'd arrived at Bukittinggi, it was already dark. I walked up the 'hotel' lane searching for the right place to stay. I went one after another on the wikitravel list. All the prices had shot up despite the wet season.

Finally I walked down from the top and came to Hello Guest House. I was greeted by the father of the family, whom promptly called out Ling, his daughter. Ling was very hospitable and showed me the dorm as I was asking for the budget room.

Hello GH has amazing value-for-money as it has wifi, free water to drink, very clean, has single/twin rooms or dorm with attached bathroom.

The mother was also very warm and hospitable. Ling was superbly helpful in suggesting places to visit around Bukittinggi. She'd also helped me to rent a motorbike which I was looking for in the first place.

The whole family is warmth, helpful and I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a great budget guest house in Bukittinggi.

Go for this one!

P.S. Ling also runs a food stall nearby in the morning serving Mie Pangsit. Go try it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo