“Excellent Architecture, Good Service”

Novotel Bukittinggi
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bukittinggi
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I like to highlight the architecture of the hotel which is heavily influenced by Mughal era. Excellent - not many hotels in Indonesia can be found with this style and it's just lovely. It has view of the volcano and the hills and the canyon.

During the long weekend, we only managed to secure 1 night in this hotel of our 2 nights stay in Bukittinggi. Thanks to the very delay flight, we checked in to this hotel at 1:30 AM. The check in service was swift, the room is big and thankfully, free of any smoke scent (West Sumatra area are notorious for cigarette scent). The bathroom looked old but still worked well.

Having skipped dinner, I ordered room service, the oxtail soup was not as hot as I had expected and only tasted so-so. But that service was swift as well.
I had a good sleep and the morning walk I did was lovely - the hotel location is close to the city landmark of Jam Gadang and City Park of Bung Hatta - lovely view and there were a lot of traditional satay sellers.

The breakfast is served near the swimming pool, again nice restaurant. The breakfast selection was OK though (not as complete as an international class hotel should have). The pineapple juice is exceptional though.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Yayi W

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

From parking lot to the lobby, there are stairs and no wheelchair ramp. Also no ramp in the restaurant, hence it is very difficult for my mom to hold the hand rail everytime she walked into restaurant and lobby.

I booked 2 Superior twin room.
The bed is small, 90 x 120 cm but comfortable enough.
I got room on 4th floor and my room door faced the hotel rotunda. It was very noisy everytime we opened our door. The smell from restaurant was also strong everytime we opened the door.

Room is aging and need renovation.
Furniture and decoration looked old.
Hotel staff informed me that hotel was established in 1995.
Hope under new Aston management, hotel will be renovated .

Food taste during breakfast and room service was so so. Need to improve the food quality.

Hotel location was walking distance to market. However, the area was very crowded and jammed during new year.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Ika C
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I watched this hotel built years ago with dismay but when I brought a group to stay in it I was so impressed!!! The entire lobby is of ethnic carving of the Minangkabau and the staff are fabulous. I am taking another group there in March and can't wait!

Do not be fooled by tours that have you staying in the capital city of Padang. This is not the heartland of the Manangkabau. Make sure to stay up in the highlands in Bukittinggi and if your budget can afford this hotel I would recommend it highly. There are many other budget hotels there so don't let anything or anybody stop you from staying in Bukittinggi!

Room Tip: up high with mountain view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rachfit
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We booked 2 connecting rooms for us and 3 children, Sianok view, higher floor. And upon arrival, we got what we need.

Breakfast are magnificent and abundance even if there are many people having breakfast at the same time.

The beautiful architectures also added its attractiveness along with the very strategic location to Jam Gadang, Pasar atas, and KFC for the kids.

Definitely will come here again next trip to Bukittinggi.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Sienny595
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I booked deluxe room, but i was unsure it's deluxe rom. It located at lowest room. Limited outsite view. It was so noisy because of broken machine (i didn't know, what kind of machine), so I couldn't sleep well until 03:00 am. I complain to receptionist @02:30 am then they shut down the engine. I can sleep after that with limited time. It's my first night of my journey with my family. Lack of sleep on fisrt day affected in the rest of my journey.
It also old building with old facilities.
Breakfast was not good for our family, it has limited menu.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2013

i went here like 2 days ago. me and my family. we slept at this hotel for 4 days 3 nights. food was delicious! i ordered nasi goreng kampung on the first two nights and nasi goreng special on the last night. for the first time i didnt brought my swimsuit although they have swimming pool. its too cold to swim tho. it is a strategic place like you can walk to pasar atas to buy some stuffs and all. also got pasar gadang near the hotel. pasar gadang was a happening place i've ever been to. even until midnight, still got many people there taking pictures and shopping for clothes.

after all, its still a nice place to visit and to know other country right? :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mirasyazwin
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've stayed here many times during my holiday to Bukittinggi. The view of the mountain is magnificent, make sure you opt for rooms on higher level to get the best view! The location is perfect, a cross-away from the jam gadang. The food at the hotel restaurant tasted well! Generous breakfast...plenty of options.
However, the hotel does need some renovations..I've found cracks here and there, broken window (!!), etc.
Anyway, if I return to Bukittinggi, I might stay in the hotel again simply because I have no other choice for what I want to get; view, location, great food.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family