“Pleasant hotel but what a noise each early morning”

Novotel Bukittinggi
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bukittinggi
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Pleasant hotel but what a noise each early morning”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Luxury hotel with a lot of local visitors each evening. Room on topmost floor is nicely decorated and has style. Because of the atrium and floortiles the sound level in the hotel is high. But most disturbing was the irritating noise from a mosque or neighbouring buildings very early in the morning -- about 04.30, all 3 mornings we stayed there -- that sounds like they just opened a discotheque with fat bass sounds that keep you from going back to sleep.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul_&_Sanderella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Indonesian first
World
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Its one of the nicest hotels in the area. The hotel has a very big atrium and has a classic colonial look. The regular buffet was not impressive and I enjoyed the food at a local restaurant located opposite the hotel far more than the items of the hotel's buffet. I didn't order a la carte so can't comment on that. The rooms were clean and spacious. Since I went on a business trip, I used their business center quite a bit and although it closed a bit early, upon request I could use the center after the closing hours. Overall it was a good hotel to stay in.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank RoadLessTravelledBy
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I visited The hills for business purpose and it's the last stop in my itinerary so I was so bone tired and I have a bundle of dirty laundry that I need to do. I checked in around 03PM and I will only stay for a night and will be checking out at 09AM the day after. I called the house keeping and asked them whether they can take my order to do my laundry and deliver it tomorrow before my checkout.
The house keeping agreed to do my laundry and promised to deliver my laundry as soon as they ready (I also told them to deliver it asap, no need to wait till morning if it's done earlier).
So, I went out for dinner and returning around 10.30PM and I saw on my bed, all my laundry clean & fresh, neatly folded.
The room overall was ok and I could sleep quite soundly but the breakfast could really need some improvement in varieties...and I think they need to replace their toaster is looks like a relic from WWII.
It's an okay stay for me.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Weanny
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed July 24, 2010

its in the centre of town, walking distance to the Clock Tower (Jam Gadang). I like the room and the view where one can see the mountains surrounding the town. Room is very clean so is the bathroom, but breakfast is so-so, nothing to shout about. Staff is ever so friendly and helpful, check in and out was a breeze.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mat_asri
West Sumatra
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I can say that the Hills Bukittinggi is the best place to stay in West Sumatra. The first time I stay there, it still named Novotel Bukittingi. We booked directly when on a touring of our honeymoon trip, the front office girl were so nice and give us warm welcome upon our arrival. The check in was smooth...the front office girl even offer us to upgrade our room from superior to deluxe, in the superior rate. The room, I can assure the best room you will find than any other hotel in West Sumatra. You should ask for room 401 to 405 to get the best view of mount Merapi and Singgalang. The bathroom is quite out of date, but at least that is the best you can have in Bukittingi. The bathtub is quite small but enough for my size as Indonesian. The restaurant is quite comfy and the menu of breakfast buffet taste great. Although in my last stay seems to be degrade a bit, since they change the chef...not quite as awesome as before The location is the best among the other hotel in town, its located in the center of Bukittingi. Only about 10 minutes walk to Jam Gadang and all great tourism object in the town. The best part of the Hills comes to the pool. The pool can be a place to getaway from your tough day. The only bad thing about the pool is that sometimes the pool attendant seems to forget to vacuum it..But still that's the best pool in West Sumatra...even better than Pangeran Beach hotel pool. Being a regular visitor there had put me into special someone there. They always provide late checkout for me, you can imagine...and always give special rate on my behalf...The Hills Bukittinggi will be my routine comeback every time I travel to Bukittingi...

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank r3e4za
Malaysia
Reviewed June 12, 2009

Firstly, the former Novotel at Bukit Tinggi is now called the Hills. Don't know exactly when it happened.

The staff are friendly enough and hosekeeping sent someone in double quick time to my room armed with pliers and all to pry open a bag lock which jammed. we were there during both the Indonesian and Malaysian the school holidays, so this place was packed with tourists, mostly local I was told. Nevertheless, you don't feel that it is packed.

It is located on a higher level than most parts of the towen centre. Don't expect luxury. For a smallish place (again this is very subjective), the entrance and reception and main lobby looks good. well, when one drives into Bukit Tinggi, you would not expect such a place. The pool is small and the main coffee house is quiet most of the time except for breakfast. However, you can tell that things have aged once you enter the rooms, especially the bathrooms. We stayed in a superior room and even then, make sure that yours do not face the top of a tatty roof top (not that we minded). Friends of ours had a better view. Having said that wwe dn't really have mcuh complaints. Bottled water was replenished, sheets changed, etc - all the usual that you would expect in a present Novotel except that you know that age is catching up (ok, quite gently).

We decided to stay in one afternoon and ate at the coffee house. It looks impressive with tall ceilings and fans. However nice the staff were, food was slow, very slow. The breakfast spread won't wow you at all but again, we didn't expect anything more.

The hotel (well, most hotels there) is near town and in fact it is a stone's throw away from the main shopping complex. The complex has a "Texas Fried Chicken" outlet and all 5 of us 'sometime fast food junkies' found it to be excellent - better than Kentucky Fried Chicken that we are used to. It is also just next to the clock tower of Bukit Tinggi and near one end of the Market.

Would I go back again when in Bukit Tinggi? Yes.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank FootyboyMalaysia
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed December 27, 2007

The Novotel continues to be the only large hotel in Bukittinggi. However, it continues to be a good value with nice rooms, good service and excellent location. We were pleasantly surprised when we found that they had added wireless internet to their facility which helped a lot since we were on business and had lots of activity via email and websites. Overall, we recommend it as the place to stay in Bukittinggi.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Bud_In_Denver