“Spacious, comfortable, good facilities”

Hotel Novotel Lampung
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Bandar Lampung
Bangkok, Thailand
“Spacious, comfortable, good facilities”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The highlight of this hotel is the pool. It's huge and offers lovely views over the coast - it would be better if they didn't insist on playing piped music by the poolside. There is also a well equipped gym. The rooms are spacious, with a large desk, very big beds, and the bathrooms have glass walls to the bed side (with some curtains if you want more privacy).

The main drawback is the soundproofing - or lack of it. You can hear everything that goes on in the corridor outside your room, and also the noise of your neighbours. The staff come round in the morning knocking on all doors to ask for laundry, which seems unnecessary.

The reception staff are rather slow - both with check in and check out. On my second stay I was put in a smoking room because there was no non-smoking available.

There is a nice terrace for an evening drink, though the wind makes rushing noises and can make it difficult to open and close doors to the terrace. The cafe/bar prices are also very high - beware if you order a G&T! Best bet is a beer, and there seems to be a 2-for-1 offer sometimes.

There's not much in the surrounding area, especially if you want an escape from hotel food. About 5 minutes walk to the right of the hotel is a little local restaurant that does chicken and rice for a minimal price. During the day you can also walk down the hill through the village to the main road and beyond that towards the fishing village.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bekasi, Indonesia
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Comfortable and spacious room, excellent view overlooking either the ocean or the mountain (I have taken both choices), good food, helpful staffs. This is our second time to stay in this hotel. The best hotel in Bandar Lampung.
Andang.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Depok
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

entering the room you'll be welcoming by an elephant towel sitting on your bed. Good sea view especially on sunset if you pick sea view room. IN THE 2ND day I was dissapoint for the untidy room, seems the housekeeping staff not doesnt do their job. Welcome fruit arrieve on 2nd day and they only put one sleeves in the room. Took 1 hour to check in eventhough I was checked in on 6pm.

• Stayed October 2012
Southeast Asia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights and made the booking through its Accor's hotel Website. I chose to stay at the Premier Executive Floor room. This was the highest category offered at the hotel's website. Upon arriving at the hotel, I went to check the Premier Lounge on the 15th floor and to my surprise found that the lounge was used for a private function, therefore we couldn't enter. The rather unconvincing receptionist downstairs told me that the lounge was used for a wedding party and it would be vacated the following day.

The following morning I called downstairs to check about the lounge again and was told that it is closed due to "LESS THAN 20 PREMIER EXECUTIVE ROOMS OCCUPANCY". It is apparently their policy that if there are less that 20 (premier) rooms being occupied, then the Premier Lounge is closed! When I asked about where we could have our breakfast, I was told that I should go to the coffee shop as they have arranged a designated breakfast area especially for the Premier Executive Floor guests. However, to my surprise, later that morning I was told that I had to pay for our breakfast since our booking is on "room only basis".

I have chosen the highest category offered on the website which is a Premier Executive Floor room and now they told me that I had to pay for my breakfast. Do they actually understand the meaning of "Premier Executive"? When one is booked on this category then one is eligible for an access to the Lounge which normally includes breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktails. Strangely enough the hotel at the same time is promoting the Premier Floor on their TV in the rooms. And of course it was heavily promoting their "free breakfast, free afternoon tea with snack, free pressing, fruit basket, local newspaper and other standard amenities.

Did I get fruit basket in my room? Did I get any newspapers? Did I get free afternoon tea? The answer is NO, not until I demand for that. I only received the fruit basket on my second day, that was only after I had questioned it! I finally had newspaper delivered to the room on the second morning (day 3). And I did not get the afternoon tea due to the lounge being closed.

This hotel is certainly NOT ready for this level of sophistication. They don't have a clue on how an Executive Floor should be properly run. In general the hotel staff are mostly young, friendly people with minimum hotel experience and they are poorly trained. Yes they have good natured and willing to help, but unfortunately they are so green and are not equipped with basic good hospitality training.

The last straw happened on Sunday morning at 6:00 am. I was woken up from my deep sleep by a telephone call from the reception downstairs who wanted to discuss with me regarding my Monday afternoon flight back home. Was it really an urgent matter so that he decided to wake me up on Sunday morning at 6:00 am?? Can't he wait for few more hours before calling me? Does he actually THINK before he dialed my room number? I just wonder what sort of training this hotel gives for their mostly junior staff.....

Don't be deceived by brand new, minimalist style building.... It is not enough to make a hotel works! This hotel has no soul and sadly is poorly managed. Novotel Lampung..... please wake up!! And Novotel International, please train these good natured people!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank traveladdict12
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Amazing location! On top of a hill, spacious rooms, with a superb view. Rooms are ocean view and mountain view. The lounge bar, the lobby area and the restaurant all stretch out to give it a feeling of extreme space with a view of the ocean. The restaurant with some seating outside on a balcony was peaceful and one could not ask for a better view of the pool below, the ocean and parts of the city. The spa was excellent and spacious too! All in all a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose Ocean view rooms.. Mountain view has an "earth mover" storage yard right opposite...