Tasik Ria Resort Manado
$48
Aryaduta Manado(Manado)
  • Breakfast included
$32
All reviewsjetty bardan greendive centremanager danlocal marketbunaken national parksea view bungalowdive operationdiving holidaydive staffoutdoor showerlocal sitesa la carte menugreat divingmain restaurantbuffet styleboat crew
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was my first trip to Asia and we started out staying at Tasik Ria for a week. More welcoming staff is hard to find. I am a professional sea kayking guide and have started trips in many places around the world ... Tasik Ria's staff, support and atmosphere beats most places.

The staff went out of their way to ensure that our week was pleasant and fun. The food was great - both Indonesian food and more "western foods". The beer was cold, the pool clean and I had the best massages I have ever had.

I am not a diver but all folks I spoke to expresed how great the diving was. We visited the Bunaken National park by kayak and from what I could see below me - it made me wish I was a diver.

Tasik Ria have two Tahe Marine double kayaks and two Tahe Marine singles. We spent three weeks paddling the coast north with support from Tasik Ria. A dive boat helped us out with the long crossings between islands. We spent many nights onboard the boat and Tasik Rias chef Carrol cooked up wonderful spice meals. Captain Dede and Guide Alex were fabulous and made sure we were safe, had fun and comfortable onboard the boat.

Returning to Tasik Ria resort after the paddling was like coming home. The staff were interested in our experiences and once again went out of their way to make sure we had a good time.

Many thanks to Daniel, Dan, Hartini, Freeny, Izz, Raf, Herman and all others. I sure hope to come back again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Two of my teenage sons and I recently spent 3 fantastic weeks on holiday in this paradise resort. From start to finish we were looked after by the wonderful staff at the resort. The reception staff were always on hand to help with anything, from an electric plug adapter to a day trip up a volcano, nothing was to much trouble. The food in the restaurant or pool bar was fantastic and always lots to choose from, the restaurant, kitchen and bar staff couldn't do enough for us, if something wasn't on the menu they would always try their best to get it for us. The spa was very good, a mid afternoon massage was very relaxing.
The staff at the hotel, gave up their free time on their days off to take my teenage sons out to play football at a local sports centre, also into Manado shopping and to a water park, they had a fantastic time. This was a great experience for them.

Even though we weren't diving we went out on the boat with the staff from the dive centre to snorkel and they were so attentive especially as I was quite nervous, one of the dive staff, Jimmy, didn't leave my side, I felt very safe.

The rooms were very comfortable and clean and the Manager of the resort, Dan, went out of his way to make sure everyone in the resort was being well looked after, he couldn't do enough for you.
I can't wait to go back to the Tasik Ria Resort With my family. The manadonese people are the friendliest, most beautiful people I have ever met, inside and out.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Title says it all. Hotel is lovely, beautiful grounds, great pool. Rooms are spacious and clean. Service is very good and food is fine, but would get boring very quickly. Bars are nice, pool table is 'challenging', and I would avoid the cocktails. We only stayed for a long weekend. Free internet in lobby is fast. SO if I wanted a romantic quiet weekend getaway, I would 100% recommend this place, and value is good too, cost us $100 per night for 2 of us including all taxes and airport transfers, for full board.

However, I came to dive, and this is where things go downhill. Yes the boats and dive center are well equipped, but if I was giving this place a separate score from the hotel I would give it 1 star. This place claims to be a 5* PADI resort, and I think that fact reflects very badly on PADI. While diving is relatively safe by Indonesian standards, the staff were not overly friendly, and their reaction to equipment issues was very defensive. I was diving with a US couple, both DM's. On the second day his rented computer crapped out and at the end of the second dive of the day, her computer showed a deco stop, even though our profiles were no where near NDL limits. We dutifully spent 10 minutes at 3m (solidarity and top of a nice reef, so no real issue there). When we raised with Esso (?) Spanish dive instructor, the possibility of faulty gear, he turned to the husband and asked "Does she know how to use a computer?". They chose to get up and walk away rather than take issue with him.

I live in Indonesia and love Indonesian food, and lunch on boat was fine for me, but since this is a dive center that caters mainly for Europeans, they need to offer some Western food options.

Guides were not the best and, as usual for Indonesian DMs, swam too fast. We just hung back doing our own thing, and made them come to us. We found and pointed out as much or more sea life than the guides did. Final straw was broken when on the last dive on the house reef (very nice, as good as Bunaken), found a lovely orange frog fish. We acknowledged that we had seen it, and were enjoying looking at it, but he felt the need to poke it off the coral with his stick - what a idiot!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Excellent resort from the friendly staff in the resort to the guides on th boat. Mr Green the resort manager is a true gentleman and realy looked after us as did his staff. He went out of his way to make sure things were the best for our honeymoon. The pool and rooms are clean and the food on offer is of an excellent quality with both western and Asian dishes on offer. If there was a negative and this is a very small thing is the tv reception in the room-but we dont go this far jus too watch tv!
Maki our guide was both very funny but professional with us educating us about the creatures as well as educating us about diving. My wife and I are inexperienced but Maki helped us feel very relaxed and also did some safety drills with us underwater in a safe enviroment. The crew on the boat are very funny but know where the limit is. The boats are clean and in excellent condition as was our diving gear. Maki helped us and tested us to make sure our equipment was coreectly set up. Really impressed with everything!
The resort is between 1-2 hours from Airport depending when you travel.Make sure you add this time when flying out!!The pickup bus is big and clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SimoncMunich
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here for the first week of our two week honeymoon. We were collected from the airport in a minibus despite there just being the two of us and were transported back to the resort amid very heavy traffic. When we arrived it was beautiful, amazing grounds with a quiet location right next to the sea (though don’t be expecting a beach – we knew this before we went).
After the beauty of the resort and the very polite staff, we were a little disappointed with our room, slightly dated and in need of a lick of paint or two. It was nice but not amazing considering it was one of the best rooms available. There was a nice touch of a bunch of local flowers though for our honeymoon which was very sweet.
That night we went for dinner which was very nice and the menu seemed to have a bit of variety which was good. This only led to disappointment when we only got three evenings from this menu, most of which were good but the local dishes were definitely better than the European options. Sadly, the rest of the time, I think because the resort was quiet, we were left with a buffet meal which is never going to be as nice – the bbq evening was nice and a different touch but the other days I’m afraid were just not good. We had lunch the first day on the boat which was fairly disgusting having been left for several hours so after that just settled on a big breakfast which was nice then nothing til dinner.
So, the reason most people would come, the diving. The days were mostly 2 dives at Bunaken (roughly an hour away) before returning for one local dive. Both were incredible and we were more than happy to do 3 local dives in one day when they didn’t want to take the boat out for just us two (to be fair, they did ask and I think would have been happy to go to Bunaken had we wanted to). The marine life is so varied and the difference in diving between the two sites was good and kept it interesting. The guides were very good spotters though they did poke things to within an inch of their life trying to draw them out for pictures which we didn’t like. As we were extremely tired when we arrived we asked if we could not do the morning dive and sleep in and make it up later or get a refund as we had prepaid our diving but were told they could not be transferred which was a bit inflexible seeing as there weren’t a great amount of divers so we got up early to do it. Also, when my wife didn’t fancy the second dive another day, we sat it out together - there was no offer of a refund or making it up another day so we lost out there but never mind.
The thing that really worried me about the diving here, despite our experience being fantastic, was the day we took off from diving. Another couple and a single guy went diving who we had met, and the following morning, he told us that on their dive the previous day, the girl in the couple had had trouble equalising. The dive guide saw this but continued down with the two men (why her husband didn’t stay with her is beyond me, the guide should have either stayed with her himself or instructed someone to in a standard buddy pair). Anyways, the others continued the dive and went to 30m, this being the first dive of the day. The girl, who admittedly was silly not to have a computer, then feels her ears are better and goes to find the others, again a bit silly to dive by herself but I guess she thought the alternative was to miss the dive having been left near the surface. Now she cannot see the others and so continues unawares to 63 metres. I kid you not. SIXTY THREE METRES!!! The husband, I think seeing bubbles from below him when he is at 30m, goes after her, getting her to come back up. Due to the depth, they both then run out of air at 25m, luckily having reunited with the guide and the other guy who then both have to buddy breath with them while they ascend. The crew then finally do the right thing and administer oxygen back on the boat and luckily they both seem fine and sit out the second dive. The crew are then perfectly happy for them to get back in and do dive number three, DESPITE them having to have oxygen administered that morning?!? Are they for real?! More through luck, the couple were fine but this was very scary, VERY unsafe practice and I’m glad it didn’t happen when we were underwater! Oh, and we found this out when we were on the boat the next day because they had go back to swap oxygen tanks as they had forgotten the other one had been used up the day before!!!
OK so aside from that, as I say the resort staff were the friendliest people ever. The manager was a really lovely guy, made time to chat to us and was always on hand if we needed anything. They also put on a stunning meal for us in a private hut which they had decorated beautifully and we had our own chef and waitress. That food was incredible which made it all the more a shame that the buffet option was enforced so often as we saw how good it could be!
We also did a day trip to the Minahasa highlands. It was very interesting and nice to see some of the island but I think the tour is slightly overpriced. They skipped the part we most wanted to see (the sulphur lake which changed colour) as this was dependant on weather which was not made clear in the info or before we paid and the bus broke down and we were stuck for two hours waiting for someone to come and fix it, resulting in us being behind schedule. This also meant we ate lunch very late on the same day we were having our lovely meal cooked so we weren’t massively hungry by then. Everyone was very apologetic but that was as far as it went.
All in all, the resort was beautiful and the staff fantastic, what lets it down is the need for a bit of redecorating in the rooms, the buffet food and the downright unsafe dive centre practices! We raised this and they have agreed to address it. The diving itself was fantastic though and generally we had a very good time. Don’t think we would return though.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple