“super value for money”

Dresden, Germany
“super value for money”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed 8 days in November 2012
Murex Manado is situated in the midst of a green garden at the black stoney beach (not first choice for kids) in the west suburbs of Manado (Kalasey), around one hour drive from the Manado International airport.
The staff is very friendly and the rates (40 EUR – accomodation and full board, 10% discount if you stay longer than 10 days – for instance in combination with the Murex Bangka Resort - see my review, very good: kids under the age of 11 are free of charge!!!!) are a very very good price for the standard you get there.
The resort aims for divers but is good for others too: there are several excursions you can do (highlands, volcanoes, rainforest reserve - quite expensive), you can use the clean and big swimming pool any time you want, you can go to the city (cinema, shopping at the big malls, markets, temples, lot of different food and fruit to try if you wanna variation instead of what the hotel offers) or just sunbath! Generally spoken: Sulawesi is an area with extreme natural plentifulness - anyway worth a trip!
To go to the city you can use taxis or the cheap and fast public transport (blue minibusses - if you don’t speak Indonesian – be well informed about routes!) to breathe the local flair.
There are European electrical outlets. Power is sometimes not stable - I never experienced so many black outs like here. There is free WiFi at least in the lobby/restaurant, sometimes even in the rooms.
The house reef is perfect for snorkelers and divers. For diving you go one hour by boat to Bunaken NP (mostly 2 dives – walls!!!, the third dive often is at the mainland coast – very very good too!)
To combine the stay here with a stay at Murex Bangka is a good idea!
I recommend paying cash because they charge additional 3% for paying via credit card (no information about before on homepage or when booking)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank StefanDD

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Noth Carolina
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My 14 year old son learned to dive last year. I was in Southeast Asia on business and decided to learn also. I had NEVER scuba dove before - I was a complete beginner. I'm a good swimmer and comfortable in the water but tanks and flippers and wet suits were new to me. Within three days I learned how to dive and had the time of my life. The Batuna family runs a great little dive resort. Paul was my teacher and dive master. We started the first day in the pool with me getting comfortable underwater and learning some fundamental safety procedures. By the way, safety was always #1 at Murex. My second day I did a couple of dives just right off the coast there at Murex. My third day I made three dives at Bunaken, which is about a 30 minute jaunt by boat. The diving at Bunaken is FANTASTIC! I'm a rookie but I know good diving when I see it. The water is clear, the aquatic life was fantastic and Murex does a first rate job making it a pleasureable experience.

Now, make no mistake, Murex is a dive resort. If you are a snorkeller, Murex is also good. But Murex is not a beach resort, nor is it a destination hotel with comfortable amenities. The sleeping room is comfortable but by no means fancy. No TV, no telephone, and internet access is sketchy. Food is great and there's a homestyle buffet for all three meals. The food is good but mostly Indonesian style, so be advised. Manado is a short taxi ride away, but I was tired at night from diving and never went into town. So, if you are diving or snorkelling, I think you will find Murex to be a great value and enjoyable. If you are looking for a beach or a very comfortable hotel room, you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Sam B
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed for a week in July 2012. In general the hotel is good for the price, the staff is friendly and you have all their attention in every moment, and the diving is superb, with Bunaken only one hour boat trip; the prices of diving packages are very, very cheap, this is the best of all in this resort. But the general status of the hotel needs a complete reformation, starting with our room 6B, with night creatures screaming in the inner roof (i didn't discover if they were bats, cats, or rats, the case is that the night noises were extremely strange). Nevertheless, the hotel in general worths the price, you have better resorts in the area but a higher rates. We will probably come back, some year.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank yazzalmagro
Tønsberg, Vestfold, Norway
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This is a good place to stay for muck diving. ( 65 euro for 3 dives) You have about 10-20 minutes to the divesites. The pool is clean, big and the pool area nice with sun-chairs. The food is included in the room rate, and there is no other restaurants close by. Ok food, and staff. The owner speaks very well English. The rooms are big, clean and nice. Everything is well maintained. Some things are well worn, and should be replaced. (both in the resort and the dive equipment). It is easily seen that Murex is well established, and it makes us confident that things will be in order. We recommend you to be sure to agree on rates for diving in advance. We were the only divers, and they tried to charge us for being few divers on the boat (40 euro extra per day).
Everything taken into account, we warmly recommend this place for everyone who are seriously interested in world class diving at its best!
Consider combining this place with Murex resort on Bangka Island (see review) and at least 4 days on Bunaken.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ulf Wike L
Gorinchem, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed in the hotel in Manado. I'ts a nice quite hotel with an excellent dinner buffet. They even have a lot of variety in food for vegetarians.
The hotel has a great quite house reef with little current and there are daily trips to Bunaken if you want.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank bjsmit
Paris
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Long time reader and first time contributor I felt it was necessary to write about how perfect our stay in Murex was.
My fiancée and I consider ourselves to be quite demanding about everything related to our holidays but for the first time ever everything exceeded our expectations.

There are two Murex resorts. The Mainland resort is on Manado island on a black sand beach and is the place to stay for all things diving. The staff is great, always ready to help and very friendly. The dive guides quickly become friends and never put any pressure on the guests to dive every day. Diving really is as good as everything you can read about this place. We spent 4 nights on Mainland before going to the second Murex resort on Bangka Island.
Now if you thought that the Maldives were the perfect postcard destination you will find an even more spectacular place in Bangka. White sandy beaches, thick tropical areas just behind the 9 beach bungalows. And an amazing house reef that is so full of fish that neighbouring dive resorts come there with their guests. The bungalows are simple but do have all the basic requirements and are very well kept. Diving was amazing and the dive guides will do everything they can to ensure that you will see as many things as possible. We dived with Hesky and Aswar and both were excellent dive guides. There's no time limit or 45min dives max here, everything is the way you want it to be.

The food, fresh fish and meat and fruit, is very very good. And the service is perfect. We were lucky enough to meet Paul, the Manager of the Bangka resort on our first dive as he was my fiancée's dive master, and you will not meet a more caring and serviceable man. He thought we were staying too long on Bangka and would eventually get bored (I could stay 6 months without ever feeling bored) so he kept finding things for us to do. He took us fishing at sunset and organised quiet beach parties where the staff played music around a fire.
I think the best way to sum up our stay is we left feeling we were saying goodbye to friends. I would go back to Murex in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jaune84
Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Traveling with a large group of friends, we stayed at Murex for the majority of our stay in Manado with a couple nights just down the beach in a "posh" resort. While the other resort had better kept lawns, they could not touch the atmosphere, the family-style meals, or the focus on diving provided by Murex. If you're looking to never leave the grounds of your hotel, there are other choices. But if you're looking for great diving, friendly staff, and access to all Manado and Minahasa has to offer, look no further than Murex!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends