“Nice, but no flavor”

Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Manado
Jensen Beach, Florida
“Nice, but no flavor”
Reviewed May 10, 2007

My wife and I stayed here on for 3 days after a 5 day dive live-aboard trip.

While this hotel/resort is nice and has a lot of amenities, it was without flavor. It felt somewhat cold and distant.

When we were there the hotel was apparently mostly vacant. We did see a group of 15 or so Asians for a day or two, but after that I saw maybe a total of 10 mostly Europeans in the resort.

We paid a little extra and stayed in one of the cottages with a view of the ocean. That was nice, but as it is so hot and humid we didn't go out much to appreciate the view.

We did diving through the onsite Thalassa dive shop/resort for the first two days here. They were OK.

Back to the hotel:

They have a very nice pool, sort of "U" shaped, with a swim up bar in the middle. We didn't use the services of the bar so I don't know the prices or service there.

The on-site resturant is open to the courtyard of the hotel. It had a few fans, but they did little to reduce the heat and humidity.

The service help was very good, courteous and friendly, but they speak very little english.

For that matter the check in desk aren't real fluent in english either.

We used the buffet each day. While there was a selection of dishes most of them appeared to be Indonesian or at least Asian in origin. As I didn't care much for this type of food I found the menu very limited for each of the meals.

The quality of the food served did seem good though.

As for the service desk, I did not have any adapters that would work with their recessed 220V outlets. I wanted to borrow an adapter from the hotel. It took them two tries to figure out what I wanted, and took most of the day to get it from their Engineering department.

Also, the only outlet in my room that said it was for 110V or 220 V shavers did not have power. I requested that it be fixed the night I arrived, the next morning again, that same afternoon, and again in the evening. It wasn't until I was speaking with a women at the resort named Simone that I was able to get them to do anything about it. After she talked to them they offered to give me a different room.

As my visit was 1/2 over by now, and I was fully unpacked, I did not want to do this, so they sent Engineering over to look at the problem.

It took a couple of hours but then they reported that it was fixed. However, when I went to use the 110V outlet I could not get my plug to go into the outlet. I gave up at this point.

I also tried to borrow an adapter so that I could plug in my standard American three-pronged outlet into their fixture. They did not have any type of adapter that could do this.

Later I went shopping in Manado, and I could not find this type of adapter anywhere.

For a resort that bills itself as "5 stars", I felt that they really didn't measure up.

It was an OK place to stay, but due to the problems I had trying to get power to charge my laptop & camera batteries, the food selection, and the too-hot & humid resturant, it really dragged down my rating for this hotel.

• Liked — The view, proximity to ocean.
  • Disliked — Food, Too-hot resturant area, problems getting power for USA devices.
  • Stayed May 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank WallDive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first