“Great Diving, Great Service”

Tasik Ria Resort Diving
Manchester
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great Diving, Great Service”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Just back from a two week dive trip to Tasik Ria Resort in Manado. This is a resort/dive centre set up. I had the best time ever. I have never dived in this part of the world before and so I was in absolute awe of some of the marine life. I dive with my own equipment and so can't comment on this aspect of the dive set up. The dive team though consisted of very able dive guides with excellent knowledge of the indigenous marine life. My group were all photographers and the dive guides were amenable to all of our demands about the pace of the dives and helping us tick off our wish lists of unusual marine creatures for our portfolios and albums. The dive team was managed by Thomas who put a lot of effort into meeting our needs. Sometimes the dive guides were a little more hands on with the marine life than I am used to seeing but I suspect that this was a reflection of their eagerness to please us and help us to take the photos that we wanted.

At the end of each dive day the dive staff would hose down our wetsuits and dive gear and next morning our BCD's would already be on the tanks ready for us to analyse and check. Safety was a priority and there was a role call before we left the dock each morning and then after every dive during the day before the boat would leave a particular dive site.

The Resort
Dan is the general manager of the resort and he is full of enthusiasm and really did go the extra mile to make us comfortable and keep us all happy. He would even bring occasional items of shopping from town for us.

The resort is somewhat of a retreat in that it is an hour away from town (traffic permitting) and there aren't really any amenities too close to hand. A taxi ride can get you to local restaurants but after diving all day we were usually too tired to consider that as an option.

The food at the resort is good and balances local dishes and flavours with international favourites such as burgers, quesadillas, chicken kiev and the like. Dinners were buffet style and supplemented with an a la carte menu.

Breakfast has a reasonable selection usually consisting of waffle and toast making facilities, an egg station, fresh fruit, cheese, bread, various types of porridge (including a local recipe chicken and rice porridge), a hot buffet usually consisting of rice or noodles, a potato dish, grilled tomato, chicken sausages, and a bean casserole, and various local condiments and garnishes.

I thought that the for on the boat was brilliant and I looked forward to a hearty lunch every day after my second dive. Lunch would be buffet style - rice, noodles, salad, a meat dish, a fish dish and fresh fruit. Snacks were available on the boat throughout the day and there was fresh water, facilities for making hot drinks and a cooler with soft drinks for purchase on an honesty system (take a drink and make a note so that it could be charged to your room).

The resort has an excellent spa. Each guest is given a voucher for a free 'jet lag' massage upon arrival and to be redeemed on the first or second day of your stay. I had a couple of hour long aromatherapy massages during my stay and they were excellent. The environment and setting for the spa is beautifully planned and is like stepping into a corner of paradise with relaxing meditative music to add to the ambiance. Various members of our group went for treatments and everyone emerged from the spa looking totally relaxed and spaced out. I was very impressed.

The rooms are comfortable and have those little touches that help to make you feel at home - bathrobes, a fridge/minibar/snacks, a water cooler, kettle and tea/coffee making facilites, basic toiletries and enough space for you to spread out and move around. I had a sea front room which actually was a little detached beach bungalow consisting of one room and bathroom. There was seating outside on a small patio and a wooden rack for drying clothes/dive gear. I felt very much at home there.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank bops67

• Indonesian first
Mikton keynes
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great time”
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two weeks, both for a dive trip and pool holiday. In regards to the resort, there are plenty of choices off good each night, with both an a la carte menu, and a buffet. The buffet is always Indonesian , and has a choice of a couple of dishes each night. The a la carte, has both indo food, and some western classics, such as an outstanding burger, chicken Kiev, and fish and chips, we never got bored of the food, and it was all freshly cooked. There was also a BBQ at the wonderful sunset jetty each week, yum yum.

The resort is really peaceful, we stayed in a spacious sea view room, that had an outdoor and indoor shower room, the room was clean tidy, with an excellent ac unit and fan, which was very welcome at times.

The staff were outstanding throughout our stay, led by the manager dan, who was without a doubt the most attentive hotel manager we have ever experienced, nothing was too much for him and his team, and the phrase exceeding customer expectations, sums dan up! Just one thing to say about Indonesian people, they are very polite, which is wonderful, however this can mean they say yes, when they don't really understand you, and can at times, get small things wrong, this for me is just the charm of the people, but it's worth remembering.

The pool was stunning, warm and well kept, with a lovely swim up bar, the cocktails are also wonderful.

Finally the diving, well if your into macro, then this really is the place to go, I found the guides to be very friendly and can find you the most amazing critters you have ever seen, the local sites and house reefs are excellent, but remember this is muck diving at times, which if you haven't done it before can be a shock. Again remember this is indo, so things are pretty chilled out, and time isn't the most important thing.

We loved our time at tasik, for the money we paid, we felt it was great value in regards to what we got, and the constant attention from dan was simply priceless.

Thank you tasik, were planning to come back that way in 2015, and will certainly come to visit.

Owen and sam

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Owen C
Singapore, Singapore
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great resort by the sea”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just one hour trip from city, found this jewel by the sea. Easy trip by boat to close by island trips can be arranged from here. Resort was quite secluded and very peaceful. Nice landscaping too. Grab a beer by evening before head back to town.

Visited July 2013
Singapore
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Mixed Opinions”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Overall I enjoyed my 5 days in Manado but my views are mixed.

Firstly, the resort is fine. The people make this place and it's homely and comfortable. Everything worked and it's friendly and relaxed. The pool is great, although I didn't get a chance to use it. The rooms were good although it does need a coat of paint and a general touch up.

I had a pool view room which was perfectly OK. On the 1st floor it gave me plenty of privacy. The food was OK, not great, but kept me reasonably happy. It's a little far from anything but that's fine as you will probably be here for diving anyway.

The Dive Shop is connected to the resort and it's all integrated. Good initial service on check in and the organisation of the equipment was great. I have to say the time I was there was very busy.

You can choose getting your own boat or go on the larger dive boats they have. As I was alone I opted for the larger boat with many other divers. Things went down hill a little here. When the owner, Monica, was on the boat things ran well but without her I found things were far more relaxed and a little out of control. Nothing very negative, but I take my diving a little seriously, and like to work to a routine that we are all working to. I have to say the food on the boat was an extreme disappointment and I ate only what I need to keep me going for the day.

The diving was also mixed. If you hit the wrong tides and currents, you will have to enjoy the rubbish. The entire place, on land and in the sea at Manado is a RUBBISH TIP. It was extremely distressing for me and I predict as this gets worse it will keep the serious dive community away from Manado. My dive shop actually told me that a few of the dives has a lot of rubbish which is quite interesting because there are lots of "critters" living inside the rubbish!. I was astounded by this statement. Contrast Manado with many other dive sites in the region and the Rubbish would be my number one concern. I personally collected a large number of bags that was wrapped around coral and witnessed a large turtle trying to chew on a large plastic bag. Because of this it doesn't rank in my top 10. It seems though no one cares.

If you are lucky with the currents and tides, that pushes the rubbish to some other unfortunate location, the reefs are very nice and extremely colourful. Many nice things to see but lots of small macro things and a large number of turtles along with snappers, travely etc. At times the current can be very strong and is not suitable for all diving levels.

For this place to remain popular they need to do something about all that junk in the water. If this wasn't there this would remain an extremely attractive and beautiful dive location.

You will be comfortable at the resort and the other guests are usually very open to a social chit chat when ever you are around.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank AsiaRoadWarrior
Singapore, Singapore
178 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Too Far”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This place is too far from everywhere! From Manado town, you need to pay Rp$60000 for one way and vice versa, far from Bunaken - most of us seasick before our dived after 30 min on the boat and it didn't feel like being in Indonesia - lacks the authentic Indonesian feel.

1 Thank Littlepods18