“Mixed Opinions”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Mixed Opinions”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Overall I enjoyed my 5 days in Manado but my views are mixed.

Firstly, the resort is fine. The people make this place and it's homely and comfortable. Everything worked and it's friendly and relaxed. The pool is great, although I didn't get a chance to use it. The rooms were good although it does need a coat of paint and a general touch up.

I had a pool view room which was perfectly OK. On the 1st floor it gave me plenty of privacy. The food was OK, not great, but kept me reasonably happy. It's a little far from anything but that's fine as you will probably be here for diving anyway.

The Dive Shop is connected to the resort and it's all integrated. Good initial service on check in and the organisation of the equipment was great. I have to say the time I was there was very busy.

You can choose getting your own boat or go on the larger dive boats they have. As I was alone I opted for the larger boat with many other divers. Things went down hill a little here. When the owner, Monica, was on the boat things ran well but without her I found things were far more relaxed and a little out of control. Nothing very negative, but I take my diving a little seriously, and like to work to a routine that we are all working to. I have to say the food on the boat was an extreme disappointment and I ate only what I need to keep me going for the day.

The diving was also mixed. If you hit the wrong tides and currents, you will have to enjoy the rubbish. The entire place, on land and in the sea at Manado is a RUBBISH TIP. It was extremely distressing for me and I predict as this gets worse it will keep the serious dive community away from Manado. My dive shop actually told me that a few of the dives has a lot of rubbish which is quite interesting because there are lots of "critters" living inside the rubbish!. I was astounded by this statement. Contrast Manado with many other dive sites in the region and the Rubbish would be my number one concern. I personally collected a large number of bags that was wrapped around coral and witnessed a large turtle trying to chew on a large plastic bag. Because of this it doesn't rank in my top 10. It seems though no one cares.

If you are lucky with the currents and tides, that pushes the rubbish to some other unfortunate location, the reefs are very nice and extremely colourful. Many nice things to see but lots of small macro things and a large number of turtles along with snappers, travely etc. At times the current can be very strong and is not suitable for all diving levels.

For this place to remain popular they need to do something about all that junk in the water. If this wasn't there this would remain an extremely attractive and beautiful dive location.

You will be comfortable at the resort and the other guests are usually very open to a social chit chat when ever you are around.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank AsiaRoadWarrior

• Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
178 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Too Far”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This place is too far from everywhere! From Manado town, you need to pay Rp$60000 for one way and vice versa, far from Bunaken - most of us seasick before our dived after 30 min on the boat and it didn't feel like being in Indonesia - lacks the authentic Indonesian feel.

1 Thank Littlepods18
Fresno, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Lembeh and Bunaken Diving with Tasik Divers”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Tasik Divers is a PADI 5 Star Dive Shop located on the Tasik Ria Resort property.
Monica manages the dive shop and diving operations which are separate from the resort but on the same property in a well-organized business manner. Safe diving was a first priority and PADI rules and safe diving protocols were well followed on the boats. I travel with all of my own dive gear except for weights and tanks. The tanks provided by the dive shop were aluminum 80s with DIN or yoke valve connections. The solid lead weights were in metric values. Nitrox 32 was available. The boats were clean and comfortable with good ladders for easy exits. Camera tables and water tanks were available as well as dry areas for your other gear. Our group had booked 8 days of three tank diving, but my wife and I generally will dive three or four days in a row and then give our ears a break for a day. This is just what we ended up doing so we skipped the 5th day and went shopping for some local artwork. There are really no local artists in Manado they all seem to migrate to Bali so the artwork pickings were slim.
The Diving
There are basically three different types of diving available to you from Tasik Divers: Wall diving, Reef diving and Muck diving. Most of the wall and reef diving was in Bunaken National Park a forty five minute ride out but there was also some beautiful walls on the mainland side of the dive area accessible to the Tasik boats. Muck diving was available right out in front of the Tasik jetty. Currents were generally mild at around 1 knot to nonexistent with a couple of rare 2 knot patches. The water temperature averaged 82F air temperature 84F with humidity at 80+%. The dive dates were January 13th through the 21st. Visibility ranged from 80 feet on some of the walls to 15 feet on some of the muck dives. Be sure to bring your green water filter for muck water photography; I did not and will be spending some time in Photoshop making the corrections. A blue filter is needed out on the wall dives. Maki was our dive guide for most of the days we dove and I highly recommend him. He pointed out so many critters that I never would have found. He is fun loving with a great personality and a strong desire to please. Trash, I have observed trash in the ocean environment almost everywhere I have dove in the world since 1977 this trip was no exception. It is so painful to see our pollution of these marine environments.
Wall diving:
World class walls 40 to 100+ feet deep with a wide variety of healthy hard and soft corals and sponges. The overall health of the marine environment seemed good with very large schools of tropical fishes. Populations of food type and size fishes seemed to be low. Shark sightings were low with only a couple of white tip reef sharks observed. 4 Orcas were spotted by one of the boats. Many turtles were seen with one of them the largest I have ever observed - her shell (a confirmed female) was at least 5 or 6 feet long. Just getting to be with her was worth the entire trip; she is magnificent.
Reef diving:
We only topped out onto the reef 20 to 15 feet deep a couple of times because the currents were often not favorable to getting back to the boats but the times that we did were great. The overall health was very good with little or no manmade damage to the hard corals observed. It would seem to me that the protected park status is working. Tropical fish heaven is how to best describe the edge and top of the reef. It really is visual sensory overload and trying to describe it with words is futile.
Muck diving:
A new term to me but a type of diving I have been doing since the beginning. I got certified for the first time in Monterey Bay CA and if it were not for the presence of kelp it would be muck diving. 20 to 60 foot depth with a sandy/silt and rubble bottom, green water, and low visibility with little or no current describes Muck diving. It is important to be weighted properly for a horizontal profile and to practice good buoyancy control using a frog style kick with your knees bent to keep your fining off of the bottom otherwise you will poison the visibility for divers behind you. It also helps to be with a group of divers who are also skilled in this profile. I was in an excellent group but observed several mucky cloud enshrouded groups. The muck dive critters here in Indonesia are amazing with nutibranch, shrimp, octopus, snakes, eels, sea horses, cuttlefish, and a whole host of tropical fishes to observe. I find that even my best video efforts are a poor representation to the actual experience of these wonderful dives. We liked Muck diving so much that we booked a special trip over to Lembeh Straits on one of our dive days to experience the muck diving there. The bus ride over was an adventure all by itself as the traffic and driving style is so chaotic and different from that back home. If you travel to Tasik Ria to dive I highly recommend you take a day to travel over to Lembeh.
Thank you Monica, Maki and the rest of the dedicated crew for a great diving vacation.

Visited January 2013