“Old and poor maintenance.”

Mercure Manado Tateli Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Manado
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
“Old and poor maintenance.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Sedona Hotel actually offers a great place to stay. It's quiet, good clean air, and wide hotel room. But the hotel looks old and not well maintained. You might see the wall get dark in some corners, the floor tile are too.

The swimming pool are nice, though. They also got beach volley court but no idea whether they provide the ball and everything.

The breakfast was.. I must say, average. They only got bread, (good danish by the way), fresh papaya and watermelon, simple salad and fried rice. Very limited and average taste. When we got there, there's only other 2 guest table opened. So, maybe that's the reason they only offer minimum selection on the menu.

Out of our curiosity, later that day we ordered some cakes from the bar, the cheese cake were pretty rich for local taste, and the klappertaart (coconut tart) were quite something. So, my "Klappertaart" check list was done by the Sedona.

When you wanna get some quite time and dont need the beach, go to Sedona. Other wise, maybe we should try Novotel ant Kawanua or somewhere. :)

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor to experience the whole (and probably) better view for the entire environment...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Due to business reasons, I had to stay here and it was to have been a 3 day stay.
From the airport to the hotel, you will pass the city centre and go on ahead quite a bit more, passing a number of seafood restaurants built over the sea (we ate at one of them and it was good food, value for money), along the coastline and then to the hotel itself.
First impressions, this is clearly not a business hotel but a resort-like establishment that would cater better to the holidaying honeymoon couple, or the beach-loving travellers or families with kids. The lobby is also pleasing to the eye and the reception staff, attentive and helpful.
Once you get into your room and second (and following) impressions start to form, things start to slide downwards (not unlike the seafloor around Manado, if you're diving!) pretty quick.
My room was plain (almost spartan) and even for a room without carpets, this floor looked unclean. My (assumed) recently cleaned bathroom had some hair strands in it and the floor mat was D-I-R-T-Y. What should have been white was pressed smooth but looked streaked with black/used parts. Airconditioning was weak and whilst I could open the balcony doors in the daytime, I didn't dare risk it at night and therefore suffered an uncomfortable sleep.
The WiFi was terribly weak and next to useless.
Dinner at the main/only restaurant was surprisingly not bad for what I ordered (Hainanese Chicken Rice) but quiet...too quiet. Walking back to my 4th (top) floor room, a little ways back on the East wing was a little uneasy as not all the lights were on.
And I realised why the next day. Half the hotel was closed as there were few visitors (I only saw a small group of tourists during breakfast) and even the remaining wing was deserted.
On my morning walk around the pool, I found that the pool contained green, yes green water. Pool water needed to be invitingly clear-blue and transparent, not opaque green. On closer inspection, a number of hotel decorations were in various state of disrepair.
Breakfast was dismal with poor choice (and trust me, I don't ask for much at breakfast normally).
Suffice to say, I cut short my stay and moved to another hotel that same day, after breakfast, nearer the city.
I cannot attest to this but I suppose the one reason to stay here could be for the dive trips. They offer half and full day packages, leaving at 830am and returning at 130pm and 530pm respectively.
For a family/honeymoon/beach type hotel....there is no Spa btw.
And to leave or go anywhere really, you'd need to call a cab, which may take a while given the hotel's location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alfasud14
SedonaHotels, Manager at Mercure Manado Tateli Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Alfasud14

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, and will work even harder to prevent similar experiences from happening again.

We are also carrying out maintenance works in stages, and hope to welcome you back in future to a better, improved hotel.

Regards
John Yap (Mr)
Hotel Manager, Hotel Sedona Manado
Almere, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We booked this hotel because we where for a 10 day dive trip on Bunaken Island, but my partner got sick and we wanted to go somewhere quiet and relaxing so she could get better quickly. The first day we where there was ok, the hotel has a large swimming pool and a very good restaurant. But the entire day they where cutting the grass. And in Indonesia they do things different then at home. Instead of using a lawnmower, they used a gas motorised weedwacker... and the grass field is really big, so it took them 2 days to cut al... and with the noise of the extreme loud engine... there was not a moment of silence. There was also a big mosquito plague, we went for 6 days to Bunaken, and there where a lot of mosquito , but here... WOW! maybe 60-70 only in the room... The next morning the fun really began... at 07.00 in the morning. A large group started playing very loud disco music downstairs at the pool, the group booked the hotel to have a party that morning. When we got up out of bed, we saw they where building up a big stage near the pool, en a very big party tent on the grass field with big speakers and other noise makers. We asked the lobby what was going on, and they told us this is normal in Indonesia, that big parties are booked at hotels and on that night there will be 3 big parties at the same time. They apologized for the inconvenience but that they could not do anything about it. The party would stop at 24.00 and we would just have to sit out all the noise. Off course we didn't accept that, they offered us then to change our room, but that didn't make any difference, the noise was even louder from the other room. They didn't want to refund any money, we paid almost 2 million rupiah for a 4* hotel, but they didn't want to offer any refund. The best they could offer was a 4 hour car ride trough the area so we would not have to stay in all the noise. We took that offer considering that when we come back, we only have to listen to all the noise until it is 24.00 and all the parties would stop. We came back at 20.00 and the noise was unbelievable. I've heard some loud concerts in my life, but this was just crazy, 3 parties trying to be the loudest with the most horrible off tone Indonesian music there is!! Off course they didn't stop at 24.00. At 00.45 I went angry to the lobby and around 01.00 it finely went quit. For us, never ever again this hotel, I normally won't write a review, but I hope, I can warn people, that are considering to go to this hotel. Please think twice before spending a lot of money on this!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Micha_Fetter
Dear Micha_Fetter

Thank you for writing us a review.

We apologize for the unsatisfactory stay you experienced.

This was something which should not have happened. The management has reinforced hotel policy with the ground team, to ensure all evening events held any day, are to end no later than 2200.

Please feel free to contact me at sedona@kepland.com.sg if you have any questions.

Regards
John Yap (Mr)
Hotel Manager, Hotel Sedona Manado
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Reason I stayed here cos of the diving centre & the choices of food which I'm fussy about. I was staying in another hotel before for 3nites & left cos the choices of food was very limited. So I decided to stay in a slightly bigger hotel thinking dat I will hv many choices for food. I was lucky to get a gd room rates thru Minahasa Diving Centre since I'm taking my diving course there. If not, dun think I wld stay in Sedona cos the room rates were way too much different as a walk-in guest! With the looked & services of the hotel & the condition of the hotel, i dun think it deserves still to be called 4 or 5star. Services sometimes ok & sometimes not & sometimes very gd. I guess it depends on the indivual of the staff. Room not dat fantastic but acceptable. The mini bar was not filled up during the rest of my stayed. I'm on 3rd floor, mosquitos were kinda everywhere in my room. had to ask for electric mosquito repellent. well at least it work. Didn't hv facial & hand towel until my last 2days before check out. Was there for 6nites. Both room & pool fresh towels were worn out. It's like its about time to change for totally new ones! The shower curtain in the bathroom became a nuisance when taking shower. It's always in the way while showering & sticking to my body. Looking at the way the shower curtain was places, its definitely too far in the tub & the curtain kinda short. I had to put all kinds of heavy objects on the curtain so it'll just stop flying in & sticking to my body each time when shower. Food - seems dat the chef only gd on local dishes. My salmon dish I had was hard to accept! The salmon either not fresh or overcooked or not cooked properly cos it was so soggy! It was rated as chef best recommendation. But i was disappointed. Well i try not to give up, the next day I ordered fish & chips, was disappointed again. The fish was like being fried for the 2nd time. Just Soggy..! I just ate the small fries. i had prob twice on trying to get cab fm hotel. Had to wait far too long most time. And turns out every guest hv this prob. Guess this is not hotel's fault. but i think Sedona shld do something about the transport services so as to help guests going in & out of the hotel easily. Overall the hotel dun really hv a gd maintainance services. Lobby toilet cannot flush properly. There was a hole in the ceiling. I hope they fix all this problems fast.

• Stayed December 2012
SedonaHotels, General Manager at Mercure Manado Tateli Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear OlynnSaleh

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

In line with industry practice, our walk-in rates are higher to encourage early-bird bookings. This is to minimize turning away guests when our hotel is full.

We will look into your comments and work on improving our service and maintenance standards throughout the property.

We apologize for your unsatisfactory stay and hope you will give us another try on your next visit here.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Come to this hotel on Dive Package. Good value.

We stayed only for three nights. The dive centre looked after us well.

The room is decent and clean. Lovely swimming pool.

Surprisingly hardly anyone stay here while I was there. Out of the 140 rooms, maybe only 8 was occupied.

We discovered the west wing of the hotel is not in use. Completely run down and hope they have money to redo it soon.

If the hotel management is reading this, pls consider closing buffet breakfast if you only have 12 in house guests.

We only had one dinner and was not too happy with the generous amount of salt. Never visited it again even all dinners were already paid for.

To sum up it is a lovely place. I would suggest other divers to come to this resort. 2-3 dives a day. Rest by the pool for the rest of pm.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank JeremyC2
Dear JeremyC2

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor.

Regardless of the daily number of guests, the hotel remains committed to providing buffet breakfast for all paying guests.

We are starting plans to revamp the West Wing and hope you will stay with us again after renovation is completed.

Malaysia
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at Sedona Hotel with a group of 7 for diving in Manado for 6D5N. The hotel is big and beautifully located but a little run down. It needs some maintenance and updates here and there but the stay was still very comfortable and enjoyable. I find the lights in the room and toilet to be a little dim, would be better if the lighting were brighter. Swimming pool is huge and well maintained and the staffs are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was so-so, not many varieties but the croissant was very tasty and highly recommended. Our group wanted to have a massage but the hotel were not able to provide massage service at the moment so we had to take a car ride down town to another massage parlor. It would be nice if the hotel can provide massage services soon.

Diving with Minahasa Divers was one of the best. Our 2 dive masters - Jacky & Micheal were very fun to be with and were awesome guides. We went to Lembeh for a day trip to dive and they also brought us to have dinner in Lembeh. The boat crew was also very efficient and helpful, they offered us snacks and drinks after every dive. It was a fantastic 6D5N dive trip and my special thanks to the two awesome DMs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SedonaHotels, General Manager at Mercure Manado Tateli Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Flora F

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Minahasa Divers remains the hotel's preferred dive agency, and we will share this encouraging note with them.

We appreciate your feedback on our lights and breakfast. Upon guest requests, we are able to adjust room lights to their preferred levels. We are also working to improve the breakfast variety, and hope to meet your expectations during your next visit here.

The hotel is currently reworking its refurbishment plans, and discussing with various operators to manage our spa services.

Till then, we look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Sedona Manado again.

Jakarta
Reviewed October 22, 2012

After being a long time follower of tripadvisor, this is my first time reviewing a hotel. And hotel sedona in manado has made itself my first priority in order to WARN OFF people from staying in this property. When i first arrive at this property at about 9.30pm no one was attending the reception table, no bellboy to help us with our stuffs. Fine. We got our room and immediately call for room service. After being told that our first and second choices were not available, finally we settle with our third choice and be done with the phone call. Half hour later, my starving husband called room service again because food was not yet delivered. And only thenn, they told us turns out our 3rd choice was not available too. Grumbling, my husband pick another food, it takes them 45min to deliver a simple dish. During the wait, i decided to visit the bathroom in our room, and to my horror i saw the most filthy toilet bowl i've ever seen in a hotel room in my life. Eventhough they have the 'toilet is sanitized' wrapper paper around it, when i lift up the cover, it was clear as day there were urine dripping around the seats. I was so horrified, but as i need to do some urgent business i decided to use the towel to sanitize it myself instead of waiting for the house keeping. After rubbing on the seat for several times, i finally am satisfied with the cleanliness of the seat and decide to lift the seat to see if i need cleaning below it, to my disgust, there is much more urine drippings around the surface also. I was too disgusted to clean it all off, so i just put the plastic seat back and do my business.

The next morning i went to have breakfast, cannot wait to leave the room and praying that the housekeeping do a better job than before. Breakfast was so so, when i get there around 9, it was peak hour it seems and most of the food is finished. They do refill them, but at a slower pace than how much the people are eating, therefore i need to wait for a pretty long time before getting what i want.

When i get back to the room. I immediately went to check the bathroom again. There is another 'toilet sanitized' paper wrapper again, but when i lift the seat cover, URINE DRIPPING IS STILL THERE!!!! Andddddddd as another 'bonus' to the filth there is a huge dead cockroach under table. I was speechless.....

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Nitzania
Dear Nitzania

We are very sorry for the unsatisfactory stay you experienced with Hotel Sedona Manado and are reviewing the lapse in our services to prevent this from happening again.

We thank you for writing us a review on TripAdvisor, and hope you will give our hotel another chance the next time you are in Manado.

Please feel free to contact us via sedona@kepland.com.sg if you have any questions.