All reviewswater dispensernoodleswifi speedcomfortable bedstunaplace to staychecking outindonesian foodfishtvfloorjekairporttaxiagodamotorbikeelevator
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Someone else booked this hotel for us so no idea ehat to expect.. Its very good value for money. 30 us$per night. Free water, tv, closet space and helpful and friendly staff. Down sides; close to the road (noisy) and if you cannot walk stairs very well, skip this guesthouse.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The Istanaku is a short ride from the harbour on a secondary street.

Front desk people were most helpful and spoke English well.

The rooms are spacious and very clean.

There are mothballs in the washrooms, presumably to deodorize.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank klimazz
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We spent here 1 night in a double room. The room was tiny, no space for anything, it was very smelly and humid inside. It was a non smoking room, but the people next door were smoking inside their room with the door open, so our room was all smoked, I complaint and they told them to close the door but kept smoking. They were also very noisy kept talking and yelling until 4am, we have to ask them to be quiet. It was hard to contact the staff 'cause there's no phone in the room and you have to go down 3 very steep floors, and also these really sketchy people were outside so we would have to pass them, not nice, and when they finally shut up the mosque start yelling, great night!
Breakfast is just fine, fried rice and toast.

Room Tip: Don't take the rooms on the 3rd floor, is a long way and they're very isolated.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night only in December 2012 for Rp 281,000 in a double room private bathroom. I chose this guesthouse because it just opened and I thought the place would be at least clean. And I was right. In fact, it was very clean, esp. the bathroom. Bathroom had shower, sink, and western toilet.

What I really love was the hot water ran well. :D The location is perfect. It took 20-25 minutes from airport and cost Rp 47,000 for taxi. But I visited near Christmas, so not much traffic.

What to see around there? Not much. I was just walking around the neighborhood. If you walk to the main road, you'll easily find mini markets, restaurants and hotels along Jl. Sudirman. Walk straight down around 30 minutes and you'll find the beach.

The staff was nice. Standard. They have a computer next to the reception. Water dispenser available on every floor. I stayed on the 3rd floor. Free breakfast I was told, but I woke up late and missed it. But ordering room service is possible and it's very cheap. So won't be a problem.

Connecting to the wifi was a problem. They said it is on every floor. But I just couldn't connect. Or maybe it needed special setting for macbook? I don't know. And they played loud music in the morning.

All in all I'd recommend this place and will stay here again if I ever visit Manado again. :D

Room Tip: Upper floor has poor wifi connection.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Namaeuro
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

This is a guesthouse that reminds you more about a hotel. It's nice and clean, little bit to much synthetic smells. The bed is good, desk, tv, nice bathroom, WiFi (does not work in every room). It's a little bit noisy from the hallways, but to the price you can live with it. The breakfast is by the way terrible, and its a bit hard to find good food nearby, we went to the swiss bel hotel around the corner, wasn't that expensive.

• Stayed: May 2011