“Excellent for a stopover, but needs improvement”

Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Manado
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this Novotel near the airport on our way from Sorong to Singapore.
We’ve asked for a room with a balcony but when we went to our room we saw that we didn’t have a balcony! We went back to the reception and asked for a balcony room. At first there wasn’t any available but suddenly there was…
Our room was spacious and looked nice at first sight, but in fact the room needed some repairs and cleaning could be better as well (sofa wasn’t clean, we’ve had to put a towel on it before we could sit on it). Balcony wasn’t cleaned at all and the chairs were dirty as well.
Food in the restaurant was ok, nothing special. There was a nice bakery were we had some pastries.
Pool area was nice but the chairs weren't comfortable.
We’ve reserved a shuttle from the airport to the hotel in advance and that worked out well. Someone was waiting for us on arrival at the airport although our flight was 5 hours delayed!
Overall we can recommend this hotel for a short stopover but don’t expect too much.

Room Tip: Balcony room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank belgiantraveller
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear BelgianTraveller,
Many thanks for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stopover and I thank you for your suggestions for improvements.
We hope to get an opportunity to welcoming you back to Novotel Manado.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

My colleagues and I stayed for a night (even less than 6 hours) due to my flight was diverted to Manado. The hotel is not next to the main street. Great things is that the front office (Mr. Ricky) has helped us a lot to get a rooms though our travel agent said it was fully booked. Checking in was took about 15 minutes. We found it difficult to get a taxi to city center/ nearest Mall which took about an hour waiting. Nevertheless, they provide a free shuttle to Airport even when our flight was 3:30AM in the very morning.
Overall, I would prefer to stay in this hotel if only for transit and business meeting inside this hotel. I don't see they offer us a free shuttle to city center which would be a great service if provided.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Arihandono

Dear TommyAri,
Many thanks for your nice review following your stay at Novotel Manado.
In regards to access to Mall, I am pleased to let you know that Manado latest shopping mall is scheduled to open in the first half of 2014 in the hotel vicinity, part of the Grand Kawanua International City complex.
In regards to taxi availability, it is generally widely available but since you stayed in the pre-xmas period, it can explain why there was both limited room and taxis availability in Manado. as this is a very popular shopping season in North Sulawesi.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I used this hotel for a business meeting.
Location: Only 10 minutes from the airport and this is a plus point for me since I flew from Jakarta for a 3 hours meeting and need to leave at the same day to Jakarta. So it is convenient for me to use this hotel, avoiding the hassle of traffic in the Manado City.
Meeting Room: Quite Nice
Coffee Break: well managed with good qulity of food and beverages
Meeting facilities: pretty standard
Ambiance: Nearby swimming pool, so it is quite relaxing to avoid stress during the meeting. The scenery of greeneries and mountain view were also provide a good ambiance for meetings.
Conclusion: will surely return for another meeting arrangement

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DimsumA362
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for your feedback. I am glad that your had a successful meeting at Novotel Manado.
I hope we get a change to welcoming you back to Manado for a longer stay so you can enjoy the full scope of our hospitality.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I arrived late at night, well it was close to midnight. I was allocated a room on one of the low floors and had to carry all my luggage myself to the room as I was not offered any assistance. After going downstairs & walking the corridors I arrive at my room but alas the room cardkey did not work. So annoying – I had to carry all my bags all the way back upstairs and back to the reception. They then reswiped the card and again carried all my baggage down myself. This time the card worked however before long I realised the aircon was not working. I complained and they send someone down to check. The guy said I should wait 20 mins to see if it works, I waited but still to no avail. I called him back as it was stifling hot, he came and said he will ask for a technician to come to try to repair it. I said no way, its 12.30am! and I need to sleep as I am getting up at 6.30am. I cannot afford to waste more time and be messed around. I asked to change rooms without any further delay which they kindly did.

The new room was fine with a comfortable bed. The bathroom is quite dated and the grouting or silicone seals has all gone black. Also the bathroom ceiling looked tatty. (See pics).

The lobby is large and the hotel is set on impressive grounds which is 10 mins from the airport. The hotel is excellent if you need to be near the airport, in fact I saw the Garuda crew all staying here however it is far from the city and in traffic can take you a good hour.

Room Tip: check your room is up to your standard before you sign the check in form. get them to carry your l...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank rm1003
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for your feedback in regards to your stay at Novotel Manado.
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the lack of hospitality extended to you upon your arrival and the poor maintenance issues you had to face on that occasion.
At Novotel we pride ourselves to deliver good hospitality on every occasion and I can assure you that every aspect of your comment will be addressed by me and the team.
I hope we get an opportunity to welcoming your back to Manado in the future so you can check on our improvements.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed one night only, but rooms were spacious, clean and they have a good gym and pool.
Breakfast was a lavish affair with both local and international foods. The grounds are huge and well kept because of the golf course and it is a pleasant feel with so much greenery around. Its location is very near to the airport, so this is very handy if you do not want to go through the busy and slow town traffic to get to the airport. However if you need to go to the town a lot, then it is a longer distance compared to the city hotels. I find some of the staff helpful, while some are not so efficient nor resourceful in assisting guests with ticket confirmations and transport.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor means you do not have to wait for the lifts which are a bit slow.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank aquagems
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for your kind review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Manado.
I can assure you that we value your feedback and shall work toward improving further our service standards.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Manado

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Location is very close to the airport (about 10mins drive) but slightly far to the city center (almost 30mins). No issues with the room as it has clean and nice design. My room was overlooking the golf course and mountain - pleasant and soothing feeling. The bathroom was clean with only rainfall installed in the shower room - may become an issue and troublesome (without the hand shower). Amenities provided are basic Novotel standard. Breakfast was standard 4* hotels and surprisingly they didn't have variety offers when it comes to local Manado food (only had the porridge ~ bubur Manado). The downfall happening when it comes to check-out services - the receptionist was extremely slow as it took me almost 20minutes just to settle my bill and check-out, which was certainly not acceptable. The overall stay experience would be great if they could speed up the service and improve their breakfast.

Room Tip: Room on the first floor has added balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Majuw
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Reviewer Majuw,
Many thanks for your valuable feedback and suggestions for improvement.
We will consider adding more local dishes to our breakfast selection and we will also review our check-out process to ensure better efficiency and improve customer service.
We hope to welcome you back to Manado.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was staying in this hotel only for one night for a stopover before go to Bangka Island, due to the late arrival of my flight.
Room was spacious and elegant, staff very kind and I really enjoyed my short stay. I didn't try breakfast or other facilities.
Only disappointing the lackness of a shuttle service to the airport: illegal taxi divers asked 70.000 IDR for a 5 minutes drive, really ridiculous, and no official taxi is allowed to enter the airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FrancescoR
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear FranceskoR,
Many thanks for your review.
I am sorry to read you had some frustrations with the transportation from the airport. I will pass them on to local tourism and airport management authorities.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Manado