Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Manado
Jeddah
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The only reasons I stayed here was to attend a conference. It is a nice hotel but there isn't much to do and you need to take a taxi or drive to all the attractions, even the tours will pass by the city first then to your destination. All the taxis we took from the hotel would have their meter on and we would get a very good rate. On the way back we had to bargain with the drivers and would have to pay a higher rate.

The 2 things I enjoyed most about the hotel were the food which was excellent and reasonable (maybe pricey for Indonesia), and the beautiful landscaping. Other than that the internet worked well only late in the night or early in the morning otherwise it was quite slow. The staff we friendly but need more training. The person manning the tour operator desk in the hotel was very incompetent and during my 6 day stay I only managed to get one tour organized. The person who took me on the tour however was excellent as was his English and knowledge of the island in particular and Indonesia in general.

1 Thank Mish3al
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Sir,
Many thanks for your feedback. Wee are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Manado.
We hope to be able to welcome you again in the future for another conference.
Stephane Fagez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The service level at this hotel is consistently good (attentive, polite, and warm - which Manado is known for). Though the location of the hotel is some distance away from the city centre, it absolutely did not bother us much as we requested for a cab (which is very affordable). In Manado City, I do not really see the need to actually stay in the city centre as the city is small and can be quite "messy" - meaning some major malls can be quite a distant away from one another. The city centre can be choked with traffic - and if you are organizing private tours to Tomohon, Tangkoko,, Bunaken (some major tour operators offer pick-up from the hotel without having to stay in the city centre), this is actually a very good base.

However, they need to work hard on maintaining the hotel. We saw dents on the parquet floor and some stains (not acceptable given that this is a pretty new property) and it seems like the generally poorer workmanship in Manado has partly got to do with the condition of the hotel.

The bed is comfortable and breakfast was pretty decent fare.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank doverproperty
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Sir,
Many thanks for your encouraging feedback.
Please rest assured that we are all very committed to maintaining good consistent customer service while addressing our maintenance issues.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Manado.
Tomohon, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed with my colleagues in Novotel for an event. It happened that I needed to do the laundry, but I was surprised that the hotel kind of objected to my requests because it was midnight. Normally hotel would say yes, with some acceptable explanation. Then the second day, I came again to ask for pressing and asked them to bring to me very early in the morning. The laundry staff agreed, but the next morning I had to wear my dirty clothes again because nobody came with my clean clothes. If they couldn't achieve my request, why should they agree to it. It returned to me the day after.

2 Thank Ben G
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Ben G,
Many thanks for your review, I am sorry to read about your disappointment with Laundry service and communication with our team.
Please rest assured that the Novotel Manado team and management is committed to continuously improving services standards.
We have just introduce a unique telephone number so that every customer who need assistance can be looked after accordingly. I will stress to the team the importance of having a clear understanding of guests requests and implement effective follow-up.
I hope we will get a chance to serve you better in the future
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel isn't the best hotel, though it is the best hotel in Manado.

When I say "in Manado", I don't really mean that - about half an hour taxi ride if we're being fair. The hotel's quite a way away from the bustle of central Manado, and that is a good thing, since it's quiet and relatively OK.

The wifi didn't work in the rooms; so there were a good few people using the two Macs in the main lobby (which had keyboards that were filthy, filthy dirty), or the free wifi that did work there. There was also a dearth of plugs, though nice to have an international plug to go alongside a EU one (which is the standard in this part of Indonesia).

The room itself was fine. One grubby and stained settee lay in one corner, but if you ignored that, everything else worked pretty well, and the beds were comfortable. On the television were a bunch of international news channels including BBC World News and CNN, as well as some Indonesian services and, oddly, Fox News. Apart from housekeeping starting their work at 7.30am some mornings, the room was quiet, though very evident that were next-door planning on having a quiet discussion, I'd have heard every single word.

Much of the hotel felt closed; one of the two restaurants were shut during the duration of my stay, and the bar area upstairs from main reception was similarly closed. The bar next to the pool was, however, open, and served the local Bintang beer as well as a number of bottles of wine (I gather from New Zealand). The pool area also served some food, and this was of good and welcome quality - significantly better than the rather boring conference food served at the adjoining centre. And very reasonably priced, too - a large club sandwich with fries for about £4.00 is not a normal Novotel price.

Breakfast was a rather haphazard affair, with very poor coffee, an assortment of European, American and Asian breakfast items, and a terminally bored member of staff at "the egg station". The breakfast room seemed too small to properly cope for the size of the hotel, even when I carefully timed it to coincide with the opening session of the conference. Did I mention the coffee was horrid? It was horrid.

Things that were slightly odd were:
- a slightly panicky call from hotel management on the first night saying they couldn't charge my drink to my card, and what could they do, and how could they make this work, and could they come to my room now to sort it out, and my pointing out "I'm here for another four days, I'm not going anywhere, you've already got my card, we'll sort it out later, and anyway, I'm trying to sleep". Nothing more was said, and the charge went onto my bill quite satisfactorily.
- a willingness to take my used towels but not to give me any new ones. I managed to get that sorted, but it was a recurring problem.

For a hotel with such high numbers of staff, the sometimes slow and lethargic service did take me by surprise for a while; but all in all, it isn't a bad hotel. Not the best, but most certainly not the worst.

2 Thank unclejames
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Sir,
Many thanks for your detailed review which is very valuable to help me work with the team on improving our service standards.
I hope we will get a change to welcome you back to Manado so you can check on our improvements.
Jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night only after we spent 2 nights in bunaken and waiting for our flight to Surabaya.
We stayed in group of 7 adults and 1 baby.

The hotel is nicely decorated. And the room style is modern but still feels homey. There nothing much in views from my room, especially when it is at night. Since Novotel location is not in the middle of the city.
The hotel is located 15 minutes away from the airport.
Compare to the pricing, Novotel provide a great facilities and experience.

They provide In-Room WiFi and also Wired LAN. But unfortunately the WiFi signal can't get through the room walls. Even though they provide Access Point across the hallway. And the LAN cables provided probably only 30cm max.
Other than that, The hotel is great!!

*didn't had the chance to have breakfast, since we're having a very early flight in the next morning and I just can't had breakfast in early morning*

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank UpeJakarta
Dear SIr,
Thank you for your review and assessment of our product and services.
In regards to WIFI signal, I can confirm that it is available in the whole hotel, and we are working toward getting rid of all blank spot. Unfortunately sometime.there are some issues with connectivity as a whole that are beyond the hotel control.
I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you better in the future.
Paris
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

For a hotel which is just four years old, this is very unsatisfactory. The place could do with a major overhaul. The food is monotonous and boring, especially at breakfast. There is just one restaurant and the bar is tiny. He hotel is 20 minutes from central Madano when the traffic is flowing. There is no WiFi in the rooms which is a drawback. The swimming pool is a redeeming factor. But overall, this hotel is similar to many Novotels. Expensive compared to the standard of other hotels throughout Asia. Not value for money and the comfort and service are really lacking.

Room Tip: unfortunately there is a duopoly of hotels in Manado and SwissBel is apparently worse
2 Thank constantParis
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear constantParis,
Many thanks for your review, I am sorry to read about your disappointment.
In regards to WIFI signal, I can confirm that it is available in the whole hotel, and we are working toward getting rid of all blank spot. Unfortunately during your stay there where some issues with connectivity as a whole that where beyond the hotel control.
I hope we will get a chance to serve you better in the future
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I had an event at this hotel and I think this is the most reachable hotel in Manado, although still quite far from shopping district but for a big scale conference it is good. My client was happy and I am looking forward to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GM_NovotelManado, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your review and assessment of our product and services.
We are pleased to see that you are looking forward to returning to Novotel Manado and we will be happy to welcoming you back.