“Great place to stay near airport”

Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre
Ranked #10 of 45 Hotels in Manado
Dublin, Ohio
“Great place to stay near airport”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I enjoyed our night prior to our flight to Jakarta. The front desk was friendly and helpful. When we got there, they brought us orange juice with ice and that's was such a refreshing in the hot weather. When we booked the hotel, it included the breakfast for 2 adult and 2 children under certain age. Bedroom is clean, good size, with simple modern touch design. They provided 2 complimentary bottle water. Excellent breakfast buffet with extensive selection of western food and few locals. I finally could satisfied my western craving such as banana bread, pastry, bacon, bean and so on. Moreover, you could see the beautiful view while eating breakfast whether you sit inside or outside. The greatest thing is that they have a children play room (child's club) and child care so that I can "me" time.

Note: If you like to enjoy a good western buffet breakfast with variety of local or perhaps need a child's club and child care. This is the right place for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fionna A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I booked two nights in this hotel after a dive trip in Lembeh, planning to relax for a day by the pool after 9 days of diving, and before flying home. Manado is not great for nice hotels, and I've been in a few, but I thought it worth trying this one as it is convenient for the airport. It was a mistake. There was a Novotel in Manado town where I stayed many years ago, and it was a pleasant and well managed place with good facilities. This Novotel leaves a lot to be desired.
The good points - the pool is quite nice, and the staff are friendly. That's about it.
I booked a "superior" room, supposedly with golf course view and terrace/balcony. On arrival, not only did check-in take rather a long time, but when I was directed to the room I found myself in a corridor which rather reminded me of an underground bunker. This analogy was reinforced on entering the room, which was dark and functional rather than a welcoming place. My "golf course view" turned out to be a view of a makeshift barrier between me and the carpark. The opposite side of the hotel to the golf course. Actually, I didn't care about the golf course, but there is a nicer view beyond that if you are on the right side of the hotel. There was a metal door opening out onto the "terrace" which had this view, and on the second day part of the handle fell off as I was opening it.
There were dirty marks on the walls and some of the furniture, and the shower cubicle was growing mould quite liberally. Precisely two sachets of coffee per day, and the minibar had not been fully stocked. Bathroom toiletries were also very basic and minimalist.
Then there was breakfast - stone cold, and I really mean stone cold. The food warmers all had their lids open on my first morning and hence everything was cold. Also, although I turned up at about 8am, so not very late in their breakfast hours of 6-11, on both mornings most of the bread/pastry choices had run out and not been restocked. I mentioned the cold food to the duty manager that night and he did have a word with the staff. The following morning when I arrived most of the food warmers were closed, but clearly one had been left open again as there was again some stone cold food. But at least some of it was warm this time. As I had my breakfast on that second morning I observed all of them being left open again. Ok, it is the guests that open them and don't close them, but the staff should be ensuring that the lids are put down again. I didn't try any other food after that, but I did have a few beers - at more than twice the price that I had paid in Lembeh.
In the room there was an advert proclaiming Happy Hour in The Water Hole, which is a bar upstairs from the lobby. Great, I thought, I can get more reasonably priced beer then. But no, it was not staffed and there was no happy hour.
For my departure I asked reception at about 830am to book me a taxi to the airport for 1145am. I don't know whether they did or not, but no taxi arrived. After some pressure from me a taxi finally turned up just after 12.
I heaved a sigh of relief as I headed for the airport.
I have never had reason to give such a low score to any hotel in any of my previous reviews, but sadly I feel that this hotel is overpriced, poorly managed, and really not deserving of any more. Which is a pity, because Manado could do with a good hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank diverdoc
RossGreenaway, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for the review as we welcome and process all feedback as vital to our continuing development. We do though believe the chosen heading to be emotive and unnecessary, but your prerogative.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed the Pool, but especially great to know that you found our Team friendly and able to provide you good service.

We acknowledge that the Ground Floor Corridors in both Accommodation Wings lack natural light due to the building design. This is an ongoing concern for us and we are currently testing new Lighting options to improve this situation. All of the other three floors in both Wings do enjoy ample natural light, and catch the tropical breezes.

Unfortunately not all Guest Rooms within each category have the best views available and this is compensated by us with a large investment in creating attractive Gardens, combined with well constructed screening - particularly for Ground Floor Terrace Rooms. We not understand your comment about a makeshift barrier. It was not our intent to have your door handle break and I sincerely trust that you reported this to us and it was remedied quickly by our Engineering Team.

Our In-room Amenities Selection does vary within each Room Category and our Deluxe Rooms to Executive Suites carry a increasingly larger range than the Superior Rooms, we believe that this is standard in most major Hotels and Resorts, and we apologize if you found them to be less than satisfactory.

Our Breakfast offering is the best and most comprehensive in Manado, comprising 12 Hot Dishes every morning complimented by over 24 other items of choice. It is indeed a daily challenge for us to keep all those Lids closed as this vast and well presented variety does create a lot of Guest interest! During your stay we did have some large Groups in early for Breakfast, causing an earlier then normal need to restock and replenish around the time you were dining. Our Breakfast Buffet is also exceptional value at only USD$8.50 per person.

Being a Resort and not located down within the hustle and bustle of Manado Kota does sometimes make the supply of Taxi's less than regular, we have asked the local Cab Company to station a staff member within our Lobby and ensure a supply of cars at most times. We note your observations and can assure you that we are continually working on this and looking for solutions. A better option would be to book a Resort Transfer for a nominal charge.

Best regards

Ross Greenaway
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This aging hotel is poorly maintained and managed, and not worth the money.

The staff is as all over Indonesia friendly, helpful and smiling. The breakfast is fantastic, and there is something for everybody. Really outstanding.

The rooms are poorly maintained. ( A/C not working, lights, pluming ect. ect.). The list is long.

Before you book take into consideration, that it can be very hard all day long, to get a taxi from Manado to the hotel. So you have to rely on the hotel shuttle 2.00 PM and 9.30 PM.

If you are English speaking only, you will get in troubles communicate with the staff, except for the front desk staff.

I have booked my stay for 14 nights, but left after 4 nights to a way nicer hotel in central Manado, with much higher standard and at a better price. (Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado Hotel).

The location is close to the airport, which some mornings wakes you up at 5.30 AM, caused to low flying flights. But not every morning.

If you just need a place for easy 1 night stay close to the airport the hotel is OK. Otherwise stay in one of the many other very nice hotels in central Manado.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jorn
RossGreenaway, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for the feedback and observations, they sincerely are appreciated.

We are delighted that you found our Staff fantastic, and Breakfast service outstanding. We strive to be helpful and smiling as is expected here in beautiful Indonesia.

Clearly a central city location suited your needs better, and we were happy that we could refund your remaining nights charges and facilitate your moving downtown. Our loctaion is out of town as you would expect from a true Resort.

We also regret that some ancilary charges did not suit your plans, in particular the Golf Caddie fee and the cost of the Tours. After offering you three different rooms, it is again unfortunate that we could not offer you AC low enough in temperature to meet your expectations.

Best regards

Ross Greenaway
antwerp
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed three nights in this hotel while on a tour in Indonesia. Good hotel. Enjoyed our stay. Nice room. Excellent breakfast buffet. Had diner twice, very tasty. Close to the airport, but no problem with airport noise. Beautiful view over volcano.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Manado, Indonesia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Novotel Manado. The view outside my room (1155) is wonderful, that I can experienced walking by the golf court in the morning.
The buffet breakfast was delicious especially the local food.
It seemed eating around the beautiful nature surrounded by the green grass and coconut tree.
I could finish my work peacefully inside my room and slept well as well.
Hope to stay here again in the near future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo