“Feels like a 2-star property”

Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Manado
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Came in with friends and we stayed here for 4 days 3 nights. Picked this hotel for its good location and justified room rate.

Arrived past midnight, there's no help from anyone on our luggages (well that's okay, everyone probably out of duty). Greeted by sleepy zombie-like front office boys who took forever to check us in. We made reservation and put deposit payment in advance from Jakarta - and there seem to be no trouble, but what took the FO so long, we were confused.

Receptionist table was slightly at a mess from mugs of coffee & papers lying around.

We got into smoking room (did specify when make bookings for a non-smoking room). We got into a corner room on 5th floor - which just happened to be located next to mall/station that makes announcement all day ! (we got to hear the sound of lift and endless sound of public announcement from the building/station that's just outside opposite_

AC in room was leaking, so there's water all over the floor when we entered the room. Room is stuffy with leftover smoke-scent. And bath tub drainage wasnt working well (water from shower float and took forever to drain out)

Room was clean (except for the smoke smell), linen & towels are all up to standard.

Engineering came about to check the AC about 30 mins later. (we we hoping to be transferred to another room, but was informed earlier that hotel is fully booked) . Engineering couldnt help with the tub, he said he'd send help (the one that never came and we couldnt be bothered cause it's already so late & we're all tired). We waited for close to an hour min for housekeeping to set up extra bed.

Wi-Fi is available in room, though router wifi is available, connection is rather slow. But okay for a simple email-checking , not for browsing.

Terrible breakfast in the morning, came in at 6:30 and greeted by an empty piece of paper and a pen. Breakfast set up was a mess, cold milk wasn't cold, bubur manado & other hot dishes weren't hot. There's no glass & mugs for coffee /tea / juice. Servers were either too busy engaging conversations with table next to ours (stewardess & pilots) or too busy talking among themselves. Other tables was a mess (leftover from prev.guests). But good thing is food station was being refilled periodically

The cook at egg station didnt understand when i requested for 'egg benedict' - though there's a tentcard display on diff style of egg for breakfast that guest can choose from. I settled for simple scrambled.

Had a very long, too long process of checking out at the end of our stay. Still no one that helped us with the luggages ( we called receptionist for help, waited for 15 mins, and we decided to bring them down on our own)

Swimming pool was okay for a good short swim. Clean & not very big.

Security by the entrance was prolly the most friendly staff we ever encountered throughout our visit and stay at the hotel.

If this were to be a 2-star property, service, quality, hospitality & everything else is understandable. Else, the stay was a total flop.

Room Tip: Do not get the corner rooms !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Elwas, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Ibu Hesteriaa

Warmest Greetings from Manado...

Thank you to have posted your feedback expressing your experience during your stay in our property and I found it useful to improve our quality of service. I had traced your arrival and your departure process in our hotel through our CCTV. The check in time took about 10 minutes in the reception desk as the staffs were handling other guests to check in. I have asked my FOM to assign more staffs on the front desk when the hotel was fully booked. When you arrived, all our non smoking rooms had been occupied and our reservation staff had confirmed to your hotel Booker previously that non-smoking room were sold out and not available on your stay since the hotel run 100%. The check out time in the front desk took less than three minutes. I do apologize for not sending our bellboy to help you with your luggage and I still investigate why no bellboy help you to take down the luggage. I hope you still grant me and our team to serve you better in the future. Please kindly advise in my number 081328833100 when you plan to visit Manado in the future and I can ensure you that the such situation will not occur in your future stay.

Thank you for your attention.

Best Regards

Elwas Suwarno

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Moderately surprised by this hotel. Clean, good location, good staff. Room was a nice size.

The restaurant is just okay. (But does have a great breakfast buffet.) And front desk staff don't always understand English well. But, overall, this is a solid choice for accommodations in Manado.

Keep in mind that the hotel is close to a number of mosques. So the call to prayer starts @ 4:30am. Nothing to be done about that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Thamrin A, IT & E-commerce Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear CDF713,

Warmest Greetings from Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado...

On behalf of Swiss-belhotel team, i would like to express our gratitude to have you stayed in our property. currently we already starting to give several training in all aspect to our staffs to develope their skill in order to meet the guest expectations. our management very open to accept any constructions criticism and positive suggestions. we always try to give our best for our guests with hope that they would have a great experience during the stay.

Thank you very much for your time in Tripadvisor, we really appreciate that. and have a great day..

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I just got back from our short trip from Manado, where we stayed at Swissbel. We arrived at midnight and the check in was fast, got an upgrade to a deluxe room, which was very convenient since we had toddlers with us. The room has a view of Manado bay and the swimming pool. Breakfast was tasty, all the traditional Manadonese breakfast is there. The staff was very friendly, we ask for plates and cutlery, it was delivered very fast. The last night we were there, I was packing until midnight and needed a screwdriver, it was also delivered to me in less than 5 minutes. So hats off to the staff. The location of the hotel is the best. The is a convenient store just opposite the hotel. The is a famous local coffee shop called 'rumah kopi Tikala' just 5 min walk. Try its 'srikaya toast' and creamy coffee. Also not far from there is Ananas restaurant, try their nasi goreng cakalang (fried rice with tuna) and fried bananas with roa(fish) sauce, very spicy though!
All in all we had a great time there.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Febryna,

Warmest Greetings from Manado..

On behalf of Maleosan team, i would like to sincerely thank you for your stay with us. it is a delightful news that you enjoy your stay in our property. our commitment to make sure our guest always have a pleasant day during the stay. thank you very much for your time in Tripadvisor to share your experience.

we looking forward to welcoming you back in our property.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

4 stars and 'very good' is a little on the generous side, but 3 and 'average' looks a bit harsh. As a hotel in a less than upscale city, this one doesn't do badly. The rooms are fine and comfortable, if a little dark. The breakfast is ok, but the options are limited. The staff is generally nice, polite, and competent. In comparison to the rather run down environment with crowded messy potholed streets and dangerous sidewalks, the hotel is an oasis of relative perfection.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Helmut S

Dear Helmut,

Warmest Greetings from Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado..

On behalf of Manado team, i would like to extend our gratitude to have you stayed in our property. we are appologize for any inconvenience that you may have experience during your stay with us. it is very kind of you to share your experience with us. for your information, we already increase the light intensity for our room, and add some more variety of food in our restaurant to meet the guest expectations.

We looking forward to welcoming you back in Manado. and again thank you very much for your time in Tripadvisor. have a nice day...

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights from 18-20 July 2013 on business trip. What was good about the hotel is the close proximity to my office and 2 good local restaurants.

What was bad?? Were given a room on the 6th floor, upon entering the room (at approx. 6pm) I heard loud music either from karaoke/lounge of the hotel or the adjacent building. Called the front desk to have me switched to another room and was told that all deluxe rooms are fully booked. However, they did upgrade me to superior rooms on the 8th floor at no charge after several "arguments".

The 8th floor room had a twin bed and quite big compared to other hotels. Thought everything was ok, but the first night I had to wear double blankets (from the twin beds) and cover my head as the air-con was blowing full speed and could not be turned off. I assumed the air con control was broken and told the front desk to fix it up the next day.

The second night, I entered the room at approx. 12am and the aircon was off -- at this point, again, I thought I would finally get a good night sleep. NOT! It was turned on automatically at 1230am, called the guest service (1st call that night) and they turned it off centrally. I specifically told them to leave it off until I checked out in the morning and surprise suprise it was again turned on at 3am. Had to wear double blankets and called the guest service for the SECOND time that night to turn it off and it did manage to stay off until morning. At 6AM, was woken up by a loud music coming from the speaker in the room, called the guest service for the THIRD time and they apologized for playing the "in-house" music too loud. They turned it off but in 5 mins, it was on again. At this point, I was already at my wits end and called the guest service for the FOURTH time to let me sleep peacefully!! Was told by the guest service that the hotel policy requires them to play the "in-house" music everyday at 6am!!

Just a note, I'm an avid traveller for both business and leisure domestically & internationally, have stayed at least at 20-30 different hotels, by far Swissbel Maleosan Manado is the worst. I'd have gotten a much better sleep at a motel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mudpi3
Elwas, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Mr. Mudpi

Warmest greetings from Manado...

On behalf of my team, I'd like to express my sincere apology for the bad experience during your two nights stay at our property. I found that your feedback was very useful and I did investigation on our air-condition system to ensure that the such situation would not occur in the future.

Regarding the noise of the music sound, I found that it was coming the gym area where there was aerobic class on the third floor. I assumed that our staff missed to close the door of the aerobic room so that the noise coming up to the guest floors.

Once again, I do apologize for the bad night sleep and hope hope you will grant me another opportunity to serve you better in the future. I would like to meet you personally when you are in Manado. Please kindly drop me message when you come back to Manado in the other day.

Best Regards

Elwas Suwarno

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed from 8 - 13 Jul 2013 during my vacation. Centrally located, good local food is just around the corner (Rajawali & Raja Oci). Convenience store is just opposite. Breakfast is good, but for long stay guest may find limited variations (alternate between Nasi Kuning & Nasi Uduk). Room are OK and clean although showing wear and tear (in particular the bathroom). Free internet is a plus, unfortunate the wifi router in my room is not working. However, not a problem as other the signals from other rooms can be used. I have issue with the limited complimentary mineral water (limited to 2 small bottles per day). However after asking, the duty manager was very helpful to provide additional bottles. Overall quite happy with my stay. I have no problem recommending this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Thamrin A, IT & E-commerce Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Edwin,

Warmest Greetings from Manado..

On behalf of Maleosan team, i would like to express our gratitude to have you stayed in our property. besides, i would like to appologize as well for any inconvenience that you may have experience during the stay. For your information, our chef already provide the variety of food for our breakfast, and our engineering team already done with the wear and tear issue.it's a honor for us to have you share your experience in Tripadvisor.

Thank you very much for your time, we are looking forward to welcoming you and your colleague back in our property.

Our priority is you !

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is well suited for the single traveller up to a family, excellent service in all areas. Breakfast is top notch and worth waking up for. We had a small issue regarding the internet , the mainenance officer came within 5 minutes so again excellent service.

• Stayed: June 2013
Thamrin A, IT & E-Commerce Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Mr. HinniHansen,

Warmest greetings from Swiss-Belhotel Manado...

On behalf of Manado team, i would like to express our gratitude to have your stayed in our property. we really appreciate that you have rate our services as an excellent. it is our commitment to give the best of ours for the guest. such a honor to us to have you share your experience with us in Tripadvisor.

Again, thank you very much for your time, and we looking forward to welcoming you back in our property. Have a great day.

Best regards,