“Well taken care of”
Review of Lumbalumba Diving

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manado
Lumbalumba Diving
Ranked #4 of 38 Specialty Lodging in Manado
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Stayed last August at the same time as Fabienne and Dominic after a week in Lombok. Juud picked us up at the airport and showed us a couple of sights on the way to LumbaLumba. Being located outside of the city made it very relaxing. I was originally concerned about being across the street from the jetty as I know how bad Indonesia traffic can be. This was not a problem as the traffic would actually stop to let you cross, an extreme rarity in Indonesia.
My wife and I had learned to dive just in time to do this trip. These were our first boat dives and the crew and dive master took good care of us. Judging from what I saw on the water we had the most comfortable dive boat in the area. Because of our skill level we had our own dive master for the two of us and they planned out first dive in a beautiful area with little current to get a feel for our comfort level. After our first dive we progressed to deeper dives with more current and things to see. The current was never a problem for us and actually proves beneficial as it takes less effort and less air so the dives last longer. I had bought a basic dive camera for the trip. While the camera (olympus stylus touch with added underwater case) has its limitations for photo quality the photos were well worth the money and effort. Visibility was incredible and the water warm. The guides do an excellent job of pointing out interesting sights but I was still able to make finds of my own including a yellow scorpion fish (sorry my camera battery had died). Other sights included Moray eels, sharks, turtles that you can get very close to as well as the masses of other fish and corals.
On our last diving day I went with others on a night dive which was amazing. The dive took place right at their jetty and I would recommend it only for those who are comfortable with and aware of their surroundings as there are a few obstacles including the boat overhead and a couple of anchor lines to contend with. The corrals were not nearly as impressive but the night life was amazing. A variety of starfish, eels and the amazing discovery of a blue ringed octopus (have picture). Please note the camera was not up to the task of night photography as it was focusing on whatever it found whether or not it was what you were focusing on.
For our final day before flying out we went on the jungle tour. It was a great trip where we saw the black macaques and the tarsiers. The trees were impressive too with the Jatu (Teak), Ficus and Ebony trees growing in that forrest.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter G

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Me and my daughter spent 10 days in this nice and familiar place in the middle of a wonderful "Botanical Garden". Juud and Roel, the owners of this place and the whole staff made us feel at home from the day. The food is delicious and the diving trips are also very relaxed. There is no rush, you have enough time to enjoy your lunch and prepare yourself for the afternoon dive. We saw dolphins on the way, beautiful corrals and a lot of other amazing marine life. And we remember the friendly and often laughing crew.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Lumblumba really is excellent and suits our style of dive resort perfectly. The rooms are in a beautiful setting with stunning gardens and a view looking out at Manado Tua which I can still visualise if I close my eyes. The boats are the best we've used in quite a few dive holidays. Spacious and stable with easy entry and exit points to the dives. The diving is brilliant and we were able to dive nice and slowly over the stunning reefs and really able to relax with the Lumbalumba dive guides. The food is superb with a variety of things to eat all perfectly prepared. There is just something about Lumbalumba which gives you a really relaxed dive holiday. The centre is well organised and friendly with opportunity to choose your sites when we dived with very small groups. We have stayed here 3 times and love it!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MikeandSam M
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I was here for a week in October and there is very little negative to say about the place. The diving was great, the crew faultless, and overall the dive side of the Lumbalumba experience was lovely. We even saw a dugong during a dive which was a first for me! The resort owner, Roel, was a very likeable gentleman, with an endearing sense of fun, full of energy, and very capable: the resort's very existence is proof of that. As for the resort itself, it is set on a hillside so there are a lot of big steps which I hated because Im not as fit as I could be. There is a central bar/restaurant area which is comfortable and has lovely views over the water, the perfect way to have breakfast. The evening buffet was some of the finest cuisine I've ever tasted, without exception. This was accompanied by Roel's music collection, which was the source of many a lively discussion and much laughter between the guests! I would say that my accommodation was functional. The new beds were very comfortable and the bathroom had everything you would need, but it wasnt the kind of room you would spend time relaxing in. However, on a dive holiday you want to be in the water, not in your room so this was never an issue. Overall this was a lovely week and I would recommend Lumbalumba to anyone without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diveva
Roeljong, Owner at Lumbalumba Diving, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2012

Dear Diveva,

Many thanks for your lovely comments and happy to see you had a good time with us.
I thought it might be useful for future guests, to add a little extra information regarding the experience you had with the room you stayed in.
I agree with you it is fair to say that "Sepia" is functional and though, has all you need on a dive holiday, it is indeed maybe not the "first choice" kind of room one spends time relaxing in.
But then, it is also the smallest and most economic room we have...
All other accommodation we offer is larger and would be more suitable for guests who look for something more.
Wish you all the best and hope we meet again!

Roel

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Firstly a big Hello to Roel, Maxi, Maria, the boat crew, Martin, the restaurant and resort staff. Well what can I say about our visit to LumbaLumba resort this October, in a word virtually faultless. From the friendly staff, the amazing food to the great diving and brilliant boat crew and guides, everything was fabulous. The only negative I have if you want to call it this, would have to be the stairs you have to descend to get to the jetty and then climb again after a days diving. But as the resort is on a hillside, It's unavoidable. I would whole heartedly recommend this resort to everyone thinking of going as it was a memorable experience which will always bring a smile to my face. We look forward to visiting you all again soon.

Best wishes Danijela and Dali (London)

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank DDive
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at Lumbalumba diving in october 2011 and it was an amazing week. The hotel is more a boutique resort and the facilities are great, better than I expected. All houses are in a super garden, the pool is great and the food is also great. The best part of Lumbalumba is the people, their kindness and their attention to detail, this is in the hotel and kitchen and also in the diving school. You do not have to do a thing, they do everything for you. Also I really liked that this place is small, also with the diving you will be in the hands of an amazing dive crew, the biggest group I was in was 3 divers, but often less.

I would definitely reccomend staying here!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Rod38
Reviewed October 20, 2011

resort:
we stayed one week in lumbalumba diving resort and enjoyed every minute. they have 4 double chalet and a family chalet, so a max. of 14 guests. we stayed in a double chalet which was spacious with sep. shower/toilet. the verandah is big with chairs and a hammock where you can enjoy the wonderful view. the hotel is in a beautiful garden with lots of flowers, orchids, plants, mango trees, palms. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food was always delicous. Breakfast and dinner is buffet style and all guest and the owners eat on one big table, we like it that way and always had interesting talks with other guests.

Diving:
they have a spacious dive boat for a max. of 14 divers. the first 4 days we were only 4 divers on the boat with 5 staff, the staff is very friendly and helpful, lunch on the boat was always delicious. If possible they dive with 2 divers/1 guide or even 1 diver/1 guide. The diving in Bunaken is fantastic, if you are turle lover as i am you will love it, in every dive we saw at least 1 turtle. We also did muck diving, this dive sites are around Manado and you can see lots of small stuff and rare things. Also very nice is the housereef, we did a night dive where we saw mandarin fish and a blue ringed octopus.

We highly recommend Lumbalumba Diving Resort and if we ever go back to Manado we definitely will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple