“Best that Makassar has to offer”
Review of Aryaduta Makassar

Aryaduta Makassar
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Makassar
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have stayed there 3 times. The first time the room was filthy, carpet threadbare and stained. The last two times, the rooms were much better, actually quite good.

The restaurant has always been good for us. They've got a ice pizza oven and all the food among our groups has been above average. The breakfast buffet is beyond satisfactory. Even the tiny bar is good for hanging out when not being able to check in early.

It is not five star by any stretch, but it definitely is the best that Makassar has to offer. Besides, you don't have to worry about a wake up call. The mosque next door starts the call to prayer at 4:30am and it is very loud.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have only just arrived and have already been prompted to write a review! This is an old, outdated, low-star hotel. If it is supposed to be five stars, at least two of those are self-appointed. As with everywhere in Indonesia, the staff are extremely friendly and pleasant. It is not their fault they have to promote such an average establishment. I notice that half of the accommodation floors are smoking, which is extraordinary. I know Indonesia is a smoke-liberal country, but if you want to be a truly inviting, international hotel you have to start moving with the times. Minimise smoking everywhere within your walls! Check-in was simple, aside from the mistake my travel agent made. I was given a free upgrade as a result of their mistake, which is very generous - although if the room in which I am currently typing is an upgrade from the room I was supposed to have ... yikes! The Reception is pretty average, but appears to offer Garuda check-in, which is good. I was stunned to discover that you could smoke in the breakfast area - even the mosquitoes were trying to escape, with at least ten knocking against the window in an attempt to get out. Breakfast was ordinary, with a dominance of local delights. An international hotel needs to have an international buffet. The kitchen overlooks the breakfast area, but is a bit offputting with the chefs all looking more like surgeons than cooks. The pool area looks pathetic for a seaside hotel - by the way, don't be under any illusion that this is a beach hotel. There is a busy road between here and the beach ... sorry, did I say beach? I meant fenced off construction area and rubble dumping ground. The view of the sea is OK, which is just as well as the view back to the room from my window is depressing. The doors are pink and the clattering air conditioning system is driving me to insanity. The bathroom smells of mildew and the towels are not very clean. The Reception staff are friendly, as I said, but I had to speak to five of them before finally making it clear that I wanted an ironing board and iron.

I don't know of any alternatives, but did drive past an immaculate looking Mercure. But as I am experiencing right now, looks can be deceiving.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview. Demand non-smoking - even if you are a smoker, give it up!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Located right at the Losari beach side.
There's an old fort 10 minutes drive by taxi from here. Great place to take picture.

It is a 5-stars hotel, but the facilities are more like a 3 or 4 stars one.
The swimming pool are small, and the meal doesn't live that star-rating (although you can have a good variety of choices, but I expect something better from a 5-star hotel).

This is actually a very good hotel IF we consider it as 4 stars one.
The internet WiFi is totally unreliable. They gave me cable internet, but it was very bad.
The building and decoration is considerably not a high-end or new one.
The bathroom also looks old, but clean.

Cable TV are available, a complete set of channels worked very well.
The thing that this place can guarantee is a quality sleep. And it is very good.
It also has a beautiful morning view, if you have a beach-view room.

Every Sunday, the road in front of it is blocked from the vehicles. There will be a huge crowd of people enjoying the beach attraction. (I posted some pics)

TIPS:
Makassar is know for having a very good food.
When you go outside the hotel, some paddy-cab drivers will offer you a ride. If that is your first day, my advice is do enjoy some walk first to grasp the city's atmosphere. You can find many food stalls on the side of the road near the hotel, they are cheap.

For a good meal, do ask the hotel staffs first.
You may choose to get a paddy-cab or a taxi to get there after you decided the place.

Some original dishes that are popular in Makassar:
1. Coto Makassar (water buffalo curry soup)
2. Pisang Ijo (trans. "green banana", banana wrapped with a green fluor with ice and sweet syrup)
3. Pisang Epe (trans. "mashed banana, pressed and grilled banana, with a sweet sausage)
4. Sop Konro (buffallo ribs soup)
5. SEAFOOD --- seafood is not a thing that you want to miss in this port-city. Fresh fishes are everywhere. For a safe choice, go to Lae Lae restaurant.

Room Tip: Go for a beach-side view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The hotel is brand new and right on the water. The coffee shop is excellent and they offer regular buffets and a reasonable breakfast. There is a good bar with wide screen TVs but the pool is a bit small. Service at reception is patchy as the very beautiful girls don't all speak English. The concierge were mostly excellent. The hotel is very convenient for Fort Rotterdam and the museums inside and also the harbour. Overall the service was efficient and friendly and the hotel very clean.

Room Tip: Insist on harbour or sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in other branches of Aryaduta before,and their hotels are always on the older side. The efficiency and friendliness of the staff made up for it somewhat.

Breakfast was not bad, considering they had proper cheese. The pool was too small to do laps and being by the roadside, one can smell the smoke of the vehicles. The gym a/c was not really working, as with many gyms in Indonesia.

The WiFi that u pay for is fast, and the room is spacious but dated. The lift is unbearably slow as well. Overall, I do find the hotel is overpriced but this is just my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were booked into this hotel for the final night of our tour after being in Tana Toraja. We arrived and our bags were quickly taken off us and labelled for our rooms and the check-in staff also check us in quickly and efficiently and within minutes we were already in our rooms! Good Service!!

The rooms are a good size, the bed was very comfortable and the housekeeping standards were good. The shower was so powerful water tended to leak onto the floor a little! We have Deluxe Sea View rooms and the view was great :) The TV has LG and in good condition with a range of channels.

It was suggested to have a sunset beer at the Rotunda Bar which was great. A really amazing spot to see the sunset and watch all the hustle and bussle of everyone going to the mosques. Beer was cold, just wish they also served large Bintangs (I finish the small ones too quickly!).

We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was buffett but tasty and good selection of local dishes (there were some western choices on the a la carte menu). Breakfast was good - mix of western and local.

I felt it was good value - the beer was well priced (we had a few on our last night together). The staff were friendly and gave efficient service. I would definitely stay here again if I was in Makassar again.

Room Tip: As for a Sea View. Can be a little 'noisy' but this was the Call to Pray from the Mosques wh...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I'm staying for 5 days in the hotel as a organizing committee of an workshop really enjoying the cleanness and the very good quality of sleeping. The room is quite big and is cleaned every day. The bathroom is also clean and large. Some things I do not like from the hotel is that the internet connection in the room and meeting room is too slow so I prefer to use my own modem than its wifi . Besides the quests also have too wait long enough for its lift service. If this two aspects will be improved soon, the quests will be more satisfied.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business