“Nice hotel closed to Losari Beach”
Review of M-Regency Makassar

M-Regency Makassar
Ranked #15 of 99 Hotels in Makassar
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice hotel closed to Losari Beach”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This hotel is located close to almost everything you look for while in Makassar town. The locally popular beach for sunset, Losari is located just about 5 minutes walking from the hotel. Shopping street, Jl Somba Opu can be reached in less than 5 minutes on foot. Makassar's famous attraction, Fort Rotterdam is also within 15-20 minutes walking. Feel free to hop on any rickshaw to any of those places and it won't cost you so much for such a short distance. Although the street this hotel is located has no convenience store, you can find one mini market at Jl Somba Opu.

The room that I booked was a standard double room and as I expected, Mercure hotel won't be disappointing me. We were greeted with smile by the front desk officer and checked us in within 5 minutes. We were then shown to our room, on the 1st floor. The room was quite big, looks like a deluxe type to me. The tv has more than 50 international channels. The bed was comfortable enough for two persons. Hot water supply was good and the toilet was really clean. On the snack bar, we got 2 bottles of mineral water as complimentary from the hotel beside the standard a few packets of tea and coffee sachets.

Despite all those plus points, there were some other areas that need to be improved. The hotel should have more elevators as it only contains one lift and it was quite small. I couldn't even access to wifi internet in the room. There was one Mac computer in the lobby for free though but it wasn't so convenient compared to using a laptop in my own room.

Another thing that surprised and upset me was the attitude of the bellboy. I could say he tried to cheat us. First, he offered us to call for taxi to airport on the day we were leaving. We agreed to that since it was raining outside. He later came back with a taxi and we left the hotel. Upon entering the vehicle I could see him accepting some money from the taxi driver. I thought that's normal at first. When we entered the toll road, the driver asked for toll fare which was double than the actual rate written on the toll booth's display. When I refused to pay the extra, he finally told us that actually the bellboy had asked him some money back at the hotel as tips. So, he wanted us to pay for him. I told him off as that wasn't our problem. We didn't know of any arrangements made behind us. So, just be careful not to get into this trap. To me, the culprit was the bellboy who works with this hotel. He was trying to make some quick bucks.

Overall, this hotel is worth a stay when you visit Makassar.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 3plepl8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Good clean reasonable accommodation. Now called Mercure Makassar. Free internet in lobby. Extremely poor food (eat elsewhere). OK service except very slow in restaurant. Nice gym. OK location,

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank BruceMichael98
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I should have stayed longer at this hotel because of its location, within walking distance of the main shopping area along jalan somba opu and the losari beach. The room is well equipped and with the nice ambience you quickly settled in very comfortably. I really don't have much to complain about this hotel, just ignore the expansion work going on next door as the noise level was fairly low.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank damas1946
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed March 13, 2010

It's good hotel in Makassar. If looking the room looks old. But full furnished at all.
Facility in room is complete, worth and good food. I also can take "all you can eat/drink" minibar with pay Rp 100.000,-. a location in hearth of makassar, near with point of interest;ie pantai losari, rotterdam fort and hawker area.but the room is very quiet, so i can sleep early. two tumb for mercure makassar.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
Reviewed January 20, 2010

the hotel now change to be Mercure Makassar, firstly i confiuse because my secreatry book me on Royal regency but the driver drop me to Mercure..... but is nioce because this hotel belong to accor group so the service was exelent, but need more upgrading their standard to be accor standard.

the location was great, not far from main atraction, and surounding the hotel we could find alot of restaurant .

this hotel will be my next hotel when i visit Makassar.

check and try the service

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business