“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Bintan Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I took the family (wife and two children aged 5 and 3) to Club Med Bali 12 months ago and we had a sensational time. So we decided to book Bintan and have just returned after spending 8 nights there. Apart from the beautiful Bintan beach - every single thing about Bali is better. Firstly the resort is in dire need of renovation. The rooms, the pool, the pool lounges, the dining area, etc. It's as if nothing has been spent in the last 25 years. The GO's try hard especially Shirley, Dave, Leo and Wayan, however we were astonished to hear anti-Semitic comments from one of the Australian GO's. The food was not good - and for the expense you should expect a lot more. After falling in love with Club Med Bali I would now never risk a Club Med again.

Room Tip: Go to Club Med Bali instead
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank David N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Its my 4th time to CM Bintan and sad to say the experience was not as great as before. Was there 24-26 May for our corporate incentive trip with 23 of my colleagues. The food variety and quality at the main restaurant was bad. The food at the ala carte restaurant was much better but you need to make reservations for dinner.

The bar manager and one of the other bartender tend to pay more attention to selective guests (they are of the same race as my colleagues and I, mind you) and we often had to wait quite awhile to be served. There was even once, an Australian guest observed that the bartender ignored me and served three others who came after me and he told him off. Thanks mate!

On the brighter side, activities were carried out professionally n the disco night where we could dance till 3am was fun. The pilates and body conditioning classes with Chelsea were great. Body conditioning class was real tough. Oh, and if you wanna join the cycling activity, sign up early on the day itself at the sports center at 9am. They only have 3 bikes.

We had the superior seaview rooms at block T and the rooms were comfortable. Rather far from the main area but I didn't mind the walk. I know CM is not about the rooms as we are hardly in there so I don't have high expectations in this area.

The food and overall service needs improvement so I would say this is my worst experience among the CM villages I've been to so far (besides this being my 4th time to bintan, I've also been to phuket and Bali). Unfortunately, based on this latest experience, I'm going to shelf holidays to CM for awhile...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank cml77
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Club Med Bintan was the best! Went as a couple taking our first trip together, and it was really fun. The best part for both us was the circus school/trapeze! We practically lived there during the five days we stayed. The G.Os were warm and friendly and took the time to remember everyone. The food was good and there was a pretty wide variety. Most of the shows were enjoyable and either hilarious or breathtaking! Everything was good! The G.Os we loved the most were the circus G.Os: Tarik, Ashley, Danny and Viola! They encouraged us and were extremely sweet and funny! And the stunts they performed were super cool. We loved the range of activities Club Med Bintan had to offer, both the fixed (such as snorkeling, golf lessons, kayaking, archery, water aerobics, etc) and the ones that changed daily (night sports competitions, casino night, tournaments, water sports games like water polo, etc). They were all fun and the only times we were bored was in between activities (but that's not their fault, 'cause we both have really short attention spans). It was a blast, and we would definitely recommend this resort to couples, families and friends!

1 Thank alyssalake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Went on a family vacation with our 5 and 3 year olds. We were given 2 rooms with connecting door which the children enjoyed. The beds were comfortable but do agree with some reviews on the oldness of rooms. If they refurbish them it would be perfect.

The beach was surprisingly nice and we were happy just being there all day! The main pool was not too child friendly but we hang out becauseof activities and it was near to everything.

The performances every night were fantastic. My older child asks for it all day after our return. The poolside dinner with the acrobatic show was fantastic.

Food could be improved but it's a buffet so we can't ask for much.

We would like to thank the GM Mei for being so friendly and helpful. She made my daughter so happy with the medal and certificate even though she didn't stay a full day with the Kids Club. Thank you!

A good family vacation that is just nearby to Singapore.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I enjoyed my four night stay in club med bintan so much that I'm posting a review on the same day I reluctantly left the resort. We received such a warm welcome to the place by the energetic staff and they all came to say goodbye when we left. I don't think you'll get such a treatment in many other places in the world.

There were so many activities to do and I tried out a bit of everything; archery, sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, trapezing, yoga, aqua aerobics, nature walk, body conditioning, beach volleyball and I could go on forever. This is definitely a treat for the more active, adventurous travellers among us.

But even if you're not so keen on wearing yourself out, you'll have no trouble lazing around by one of several open bars, or treating yourself to a ten course meal at the sumptuous buffets. You may even get some reading done if you're not being chatted to by the incredibly multitalented, multilingual staff (GOs) who do their best to ensure you're having a good time.

I especially enjoyed spending time with tennis mentor Leo and archery guru Jayrate. They were very hospitable, humourous and accommodating. We had very honest conversations over lunches and at various events and I wish them all the best for their future endeavours. The water sports crew like Tommy were also incredibly patient and a lot of fun to work with.

Also a special mention to the santai bar team - it was a pleasure meeting down-to-earth staff like Hiro-san and Diana who tirelessly take great care of everyone everyday from morning until after midnight.

The 9pm events are hysterical. If nothing else convinced you to go and try out Club Med Bintan, you have to see the GOs performing at their nightly events. Wayan Jackson was incredible!

Finally I have to say thanks to Mei, the GM. She runs a tight ship and does an awesome job taking care of all the guests.

If I have to say one negative thing about the place, it's that the GOs do come to have lunch with you and while I personally enjoyed meeting some of these staff and talking to them about the best job in the world that they have, sometimes the GOs do get it wrong and interrupt couples on honeymoon and other such groups that don't really want to be disturbed. If you don't feel like you're in a particularly chatty mood that day, do pick a smaller table (or like a table for 2 if there's just 2 of you) so that the staff won't come to sit with you.

Other than that I can't stress enough how awesome this place is. If you've never been to Club Med, give this one a go =)

1 Thank lzha224
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

What made Club Med Bintan most memorable and engaging is the Chief of the Village, Mei and her team of wonderful GOs namely Wayan, Jono, Chelsea, Shirley, Syera, Leo, Jayrate, Eric, Hiro, Deanne, Marco and many others. They were so warm and friendly and made you feel really welcome. The shows in the evenings were really entertaining and it amazed me that the team members were so talented! Of course, the bountiful spread of food and drinks... you never have to worry about food and drinks here. What we took away were wonderful memories and friendships that will last us a long long time to come. In fact, we are already planning our next Club Med holidays. Can't wait!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank marmala8
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We spent a week at Club Med Bintan late April. That was a couple of weeks ago and my kids are still talking about it. How they loved it. How much fun it was. How friendly the staff was. How good the food was...... So, you know what it's like if you're a parent: happy kids, happy parents. Truth is, we adults loved it too! The staff were amazing. They gave 150% of themselves all day and a good portion of the night too. They are what made our Club Med experience truly amazing. And the location was beautiful.
The rooms are.... tired. They need a serious refurbishment. That is the one and only sore point. The only other item that one needs to be aware of is that there is nothing "cultural" to visit on Bintan island. We did the elephant trip just because we had never seen elephants before (other than in zoos, of course), and it was ok.
Coming back to the Club Med positives:
The restaurant was wonderful with food for everyone: Western-stye (pizza, pasta etc.... ) But we especially enjoyed the Japanese, Indonesian, Chinese and Korean. The beach was gorgeous: a beautiful long stretch of fine white sand, warm water, at least 30 degrees C and flat.
The activities were countless and genuinely fun- at every moment of the day, there was something for everyone to do. And if you wanted to just sit and read your book, well you could do that too.
I want to come back to the quality of the staff because I have never experienced such a thing in my life. They were just..... awesome. The overall friendliness of them all. And the shows they put on every evening, just fantastic! The kids club staff was great, and what a show the children put on for us on the last evening!
So overall HERE is a great place for a family vacation.
We're already booking our next Club Med experience....

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and book a deluxe room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family