“Rustic villas on the ocean”

Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Bintan Spa Villa is a rustic, small resort that is about an hour away from the ferry terminal. The Royal Ocean suite's balcony opened up to the ocean which was beautiful.

The food, particularly their Seafood BBQ, was very tasty.

Rooms are clean and rustic. Only drawback was that there was no pool. They only had a small jacuzzi or the ocean.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal Ocean suite!
1  Thank kawin852
Edmund C, Manager at Bintan Spa Villa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you taking the time to write this positive review. It is fantastic that you like the room you stayed in - the Royal Ocean Villa, so much. The balcony is indeed a guest favorite, and many love the concept of having their balcony reaching out into the ocean, where one can enjoy a coffee and a sunrise over the ocean horizon. It is also great that you enjoyed the food, especially the Seafood BBQ which is another guest favorite. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bintan Spa Villa soon

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I booked a 2d1n 'Ocean spa package' from Singapore as I was in need of an escape from the city. For me, it ticked all the boxes. The massage at the spa was great and the staff were super friendly. I had a corner sea view room so the view from my balcony was also great! The food was ok and reasonably priced.
It would be nice to have a pool at the resort as the beach is not really suitable for swimming as it is very shallow. This didn't really bother me but it would be good to have an option.
If you are looking for a short getaway from the busy city then I would highly recommend this resort.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing this review and for staying with us. It is fantastic that you found your stay with us a thoroughly enjoyable one, and that you found the service quality, spa, and room to your satisfaction. We hope that it was a relaxing escape from the city for you. We hope to welcome you back to Bintan Spa Villa soon!

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

My husband booked one night Romantic Spa Package as a surprise gift for me. I didnt know what to expect at first. When we reached there, I fell in love with the place. It was like a dream come true. A kind of resort that we were searching for to spend a quiet and quality time together.
We had the New Ocean Suite which was facing the open sea. The room was spacious and comfy. As I opened the door to the balcony, I was like literally at the sea. The view was magnificent!
We pampered ourselves with a spa treatment at Trikora Spa, which was just a walking distance from our suite. It was about 2h1/2 treatment with jacuzzi by the sea. The whole treatment was not that bad but could be better with some well qualified messeuse.
In the evening, we had a private candle light dinner at the gazebo. It was fine at first but when the Sirloin Steaks were served to us, they were quite cold.
Apart from that, we were perspiring and were bitten by mosquitoes.
Another thing missing was the pipe in music coz it was too quiet at times. But we managed to set the mood by switching on the music from our mobile phone.
Other than that we experienced power trips for 5 times before dinner and in the morning.
Nevertheless, we really enjoyed our stay, waking up the next morning, watching the sunrise together from our balcony. Time just stood still.
I would love to return to this place again but need to do something with the frequent power trips situation.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Iexora

Dear Guest

Thank you for the very kind words and for the review. We are very happy that Bintan Spa Villa could serve as the dream like location for your ideal romantic holiday, and that you and your husband were able to spend good quality time together here. Apologies for the small points you found unsatisfactory. As for the candle light dinner, after hearing your feedback, steaks will now be brought to guests on hotplates before serving to ensure they are piping hot when eaten. Also, standing fans will be provided should there be no wind during the dinner, and we will now be providing music to add to the ambience of the romantic dinner. Thank you once again for writing this review and for staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back to Bintan Spa Villa soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in Royal Ocean Villa and had an amazing time with stunning views of sunrise. Built on stilts in the sea, we enjoyed the experience of watching the waves up close from the comforts of our room. During high tide, we were able to see little fishes and crabs from the balcony.
Room was comfortable enough for a family of four with an extra bed. Air con worked well. There were frequent power trips, but they were resolved within a few minutes. The only downside to the stay was the mosquitoes in the room, so it's advisable to have an ample supply of repellants plus keep the doors closed at all times.
Tap water is not suitable for drinking, even after boiling. Complimentary drinking water is provided and replenished upon request.
There is only 1 restaurant which doubles as the lobby with an open concept and overlooks the sea. Breakfast buffet was sufficient and of good quality. We had all our lunches and dinners here, as the menu offered a delightful array of local and western choices which we thoroughly enjoyed and looked forward to. We tried the BBQ set and seafood was very fresh. The chicken was quite bland, but the chilli sambal made up for the lack of flavours.
There is no swimming pool, except for a jacuzzi, which we used only once as it gets muddy and sandy when inconsiderate guests use it after playing at the beach. Kids were left unsupervised at the jacuzzi, and they were throwing sand, pebbles, etc inside. Perhaps a notice prohibiting guests from doing so, can be put up.
This resort is ideal for a short getaway. Lots of water activities are offered. Most of them require a minimum of 2 people to participate. We went for the combined Mangrove, Sunset and Firefly tour which was excellent. A must try activity and highly recommended. For kids, there's an Eco Tour. During low tide, you are able to take a short walk across to Meteor Island where you can see lots of fishes and shell creatures. Kids can collect a checklist for Treasure Hunt from the Reception and look for the items here. Upon completion, they are rewarded with a scoop of ice cream. A very thoughtful gesture indeed! On rainy days, you have the option of indoor games such as carom, foosball, darts and pool. The game area converts to a pub and karaoke at night.
Overall, a quiet, lovely resort for relaxing and recharging. Friendly, accommodating staff, stunning views, great ambience, good food...we will definitely be back!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank equa-tour

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this very in depth review of your stay with us. We are very glad that you found your holiday to be a highly satisfactory one, especially your experience with your villa, f&b, scenery and activities. It is fantastic that our activities were suitable for your entire family, from the Firefly mangrove tour, to the low tide eco tour and treasure hunt for the children. The resort does repellent fogging every week, but inevitably, some mosquitoes fly in from the surrounding area. For that, we provide complimentary repellent in every room. Thank you for your feedback on the jacuzzi, yes indeed sometimes despite filtering the spa pool consistently, it is still dirtied when guests enter the pool with sand on their bodies. We are in the midst of developing measures to better control the cleanliness of the spa pool. Once again, thank you for writing this review and we look forward to welcoming you back at Bintan Spa Villa soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The villa has a very nice view and the staff are really friendly. During low tide, you can actually walk all the way to a mini island (that you can view directly from the balcony of your room)

The spa & massage was awesome and the food was really good!

the only minor complaints is the inconsistent wifi and some occasional power trips... but i guess that's an infrastructure problem which couldn't be helped.

Cheers!

2  Thank BtzX

Dear Guest

We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Bintan Spa Villa, especially the scenery, service quality, food and spa. Yes indeed as you have mentioned, one of the interesting experiences guests may try at the resort is walking across the sea bed during low tide to a nearby island. Apologies for the inconsistent complimentary wifi - as the resort uses its own satellite for wifi, one cannot expect wifi quality like in 1st world cities due to infrastructural problems as you have mentioned. As for the power trips that you mentioned, our back up generator kicks in within seconds should the main government supply lapse for whatever reason, so guests should be able to continue their holiday without much disruption. Thank you for writing this review and for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back to Bintan Spa Villa soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a window of 2 days to take a break from our busy lives, so we decided to find a nice affordable beach resort nearby with spa facilities... our research led us to Bintan Spa Villas, and I was really glad we went!

Okay so here goes my review...

1) The Open Concept of the space.
Unlike most beach hotels & resorts, the moment you reach this place, you can immediately see the sea, the rooms above the water, the bar, the cafe, and the reception area all at once. It's unique because it's not like a building that leads to another building where you have to walk to get to different areas of the hotel.... this resort is simple and open, so it gave us a very different feel when we got off the van. Refreshing layout i must say. I've been to many beach resorts, none like this.

2) The Food.
Okay so if you go... you HAVE TO eat the Beef / Chicken Rendang, and the BBQ OTAH!!! It was so good even though i was so full I just ordered an extra plate of Otah... it wasn't on the menu but the kitchen was kind enough to do a special serving for us. My boyfriend especially loved the Avacado juice... he drank it for lunch, dinner, lunch again. Yummy food, BBQ set is worth it, and I will go back just for the Beef Rendang & Otah. haha.

3) The Spa.
So we didn't take the online spa package when we booked the resort because we were not sure if we wanted to do it... but when we reached, we saw the spa packages and how nice the open concept of having a massage facing the sea was.... so we did it anyway! Good thing was it was still pretty cheap to book it on the spot! Luckily there were available timeslots for us. They have a whole hut of spa rooms ALL facing the sea. We took the $55 package which included a 60min choice of massage & a hydrobath (which also faced the sea)... super shiok! I totally fell asleep during my massage... it was that good. It was like a way more affordable version of my experience at the overpriced Aramsa Spa here in SG. If i went back again, I'd probably just do the 90min massage. Super relaxing.

4) The Room.
We got upgraded to the awesome Royal Ocean Suite above the waters... it was like a "Maldives" experience hahaha... the room was clean, not sandy at all. The balcony was amazing. My boyfriend and I just sat there to read, drink & talk. Very nice.

Some tips though, remember to bring mosquito repellent! It is a tropical country so mosquitos are common there... we sprayed alot of OFF and spammed sunblock so we were safe. haha.

Some downsides we experienced during our stay... the water died on us 3 times when we were in the shower.. twice on me, and once on my boyfriend. But when we called the front desk, they immediately rectified it... I'm guessing it's cause such infrastructure is pretty hard to maintain... Their good service made up for it though!

Lastly...the resort owner is usually in a traditional Indonesian top walking around greeting his guests and asking them how they are... I think that is pretty amazing for a boss of a resort. Maybe its because the resort is pretty quaint and open, but still, that tells alot about the service. When he saw my boyfriend and I ordering our 2nd set of BBQ (yes we ordered double cuz it was that good).... he offered us complimentary choice of drinks or dessert! I got an icecream, my boyfriend got his Avacado Juice. I thought that was super sweet. Made our romantic evening end so nicely.

OH YES... they have an adorable sliding bench/table.. whatever it is you call it... so nice to sit on... it's always being choped by people so I had to keep my eye on it to see when it was empty for us to sit on... haha good luck to you if you go! The resort should invest in more of those special tables. (okay then maybe it won't be so exclusively special anymore).

Some things I hoped they would have... a Swimming Pool.... yea that's something they were lacking... there was a public jacuzzi but it didn't look very inviting... the beach bar, pool table & Karaoke was pretty cool... but something I guess i'd do only with a group of friends.

I'll definitely go back again, this time with friends.. so we could try out more activities!

Room Tip: Rooms above the water are the best. :) But because of the open concept, all the rooms, including the...
3  Thank steppiness

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this very detailed and positive review, i am sure it will be helpful to many of the TripAdvisor readers. Firstly, we are very glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us, and that you managed to have a nice romantic holiday. As you have said, the resort features an open concept, where one may have a wide open view of the ocean from almost all areas of the resort. And this wide open view is best experienced in the room you had stayed in, the Royal Ocean Villa which has a balcony reaching out into the sea. We are glad that you enjoyed the food and spa as well, the rendang is one of the hot favorites in our restaurant, and it is great that you liked it as well. Lastly, apologies for the water supply hiccups during your stay, and it is great that this did not spoil your stay. We will pay closer to attention to the maintenance of our water system to minimize these rare occurrences. Thank you once again for writing this review and for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bintan Spa Villa soon

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Horrible place to visit, no swimming pool. Dirty water in jacuzzi. It's nowhere like it looks in the photos. Food is not good very far from the ferry terminal it took almost 1 hour to reach the place. No nearby hotels for alternate food. No transportation and u are stuck till your bookin period

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Edmund C, Manager at Bintan Spa Villa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we deeply regret that your stay was not up to your expectations, and that we were unable to meet your standards. Allow me to address your feedback. The outdoor spa pool water is cleansed and purified daily, unfortunately, guests sometimes enter the pool with sand from the beach on their clothing or feet and momentarily dirty the spa pool. We will be having stricter control of the cleanliness of the spa pool to ensure this does not continue to happen. We regret that you did not enjoy the food, which comes as a surprise as we usually receive regular positive comments on the f&b standard in the resort; still we apologize for the lapse in standard during your stay and will work towards maintaining a consistent high f&b standard. It is unfortunate that you did not feel the portrayal of the resort on the website fit your experience of it, and it comes as a surprise as well, as many guests have commented that what you see is what you get. Photos were taken on a nice sunny day during high tide and it might be possible that weather conditions did not allow the full beauty of the scenery to be shown during your stay. Again, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, and thank you for the feedback. We will ensure that we continue to improve in all aspects to better serve our guests.