“Good hotel stay for the price paid”

Bintan Cabana Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Bintan Island
India
“Good hotel stay for the price paid”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Me and my husband booked a trip of 2D1N Bintan Agro Beach Resort Stay with Meals + Ferry + City Tour + Massage.
The tour people didn't have any rooms at Bintan Agro Beach Resort and offered us the sister resort Cabana Beach Resort.
Overall the stay was good.
Check-in - Check-in was a bit slow. We reached the hotel at around 6.30PM and were tired after the city tour and traveling. Expected the staff to be more efficient towards handling the guests.

Room: Our tour included superior room. This room is not on the sea location and you need to walk across the street to get to the property. should take approximately 2- 5 mins.
Overall the rooms were spacious but there was some issue in the bathroom and there was some stinky and foul smell sometimes.

Tour included dinner at resort. So we were given the options to chose from the set meals. The meal we selected was ok. Since me and my husband like to try different food items we ordered some other dishes as well which were not good.
For lunch we tried the Cabana fried rice and to our surprise it tasted really good.
Due to the rains we didn't have the opportunity to try kayaking and other water sport activities.
But the resort provides a shuttle to the Bintan Agro Beach Resort where all the activities take place and the hotel pool is present.

Overall decent hotel for 1 night stay only.

Room Tip: In case you want to have the rooms at the sea location do not go for the superior rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank priyanka p
Bintan Agro Bea... R, Deputy Manager at Bintan Cabana Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2015
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm regards from Bintan Cabana Beach Resort

Thanks for choosing Bintan Cabana Beach Resort as your previous vacation destination. We are glad to hear your comments so we may improve our performance to serve you better in the future.

Initially, we would like to apologize that the service of our reception staff did not meet your expectation. Our Front Office manager has taken note on this. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the meals at our resort. We are so sorry that some of the foods did not suit your taste. We make an apology for the problem in your room. Although your second day of stay was raining, we hope that you also enjoyed the stay.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable time to write this review. We welcome you back to spend your next vacation with Bintan Cabana Beach Resort or at our sister resort: Bintan Agro Beach Resort & Spa. Have a good day!!!

Best regards,
Edwin Zhang
Bintan Cabana Beach Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

It was a last minute booking I had with Independent Traveller Pte Ltd. Ruby, the agent was very helpful, had answered and provided all my inquiries. I booked for 2D1N package with lunch, massage, dinner, buffet breakfast and activities ( 30 min Kayaking, 30 min cycling and 30 min horse cart riding). She had sent the ferry and hotel vouchers to me. Make sure to have them printed and don't forget to bring them on your trip.

Ferry ride to Bintan - is okay, We sat on the upper deck and it was cloudy at that time. If you don't want sticky hair then you better bring something to tie your hair.

Massage
We were picked up by the resort staff in pink from the immigration exit. The guide is very friendly and although I think he speaks only few English, he can deliver what he's trying to say well enough for us to understand. We took a van to the massage parlor. The massage was awesome with friendly and warm staff. It's a first time for me to try the full body massage. It was a scary, confusing and funny experience LOL

Free lunch
The free lunch was at Ayam Penyet and I can say that it was alright. Chicken, rice and a little bit of veggie. It was the same as the Indonesian food we have in SG but I must say, the chilli they have at Indonesia was way too spicy compared to the ones you can eat in SG.

Shopping
we did a little shopping at the shop beside Ayam Penyet. You can buy souvenirs at a very low price. I did bought a shirt and my friend bought some souvenirs and local beers for as low as $2 SGD each. They also sell chips, bags and other display items. You can use SGD here too.

Hotel Room
After shopping we took the van to the hotel. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We were given our activity, dinner ( we were given 3 dinner options and were asked to select which dinner we want) and breakfast vouchers then one of them took us to our room. We booked for superior room with double bed. I must say the room was alright for me although I had expected we'll have a bath tub in the toilet. I am not much really very skeptical when it comes to hotel rooms. So long as the bed is nice and it feels all cozy then I'm good. The toilet is okay too and they had provided the toiletries as well. The only thing I don't like was the air con. It wasn't really cooling. Sometime in the night I was sweating :( Also, I was expecting we'll have a hair blower in the room but it wasn't provided. But the room is all clean and cozy so I can say it's average for me.

Beach - it was high tide when we came that afternoon so we did kayaking. I noticed on high tide, the only sandy area is the one on the farthest end where there are big stones. Kayaking is the only thing you can do at Cabana as other activities can be done only at Agro. Since the beach area is pretty small, I think it will be hard if the resort is crowded. After Kayak we tried roaming around. There are swings, net hammocks and volleyball area on the other side of the resort. There are only few people around when we went there so we basically have the hammocks all to ourselves. At night time, the tide seems to go lower, that actually, sandy areas appeared near the lobby of the resort and some other areas so you have options now if you want to hang out in the beach, only, without the sun. You can sit on the benches in front of the beach just to chill, drink beer or stare at the stars.

Other activities except karaoke - this can be done at Agro, Horse cart riding has a schedule so better plan and manage your time according to the shuttle schedule as well. We didn't try the cycling and horse cart as we would just like to lay down on the beach and relax.

Dinner - was served in the hotel restaurant which is just near the lobby. They gave a very large serving of rice, I believe it's more like a bowl instead of a cup! I ordered fish fillet and my friend ordered squid and it was so fulfilling!

karaoke - I'm more of a singing person and I love karaoke so I didn't missed this chance. The karaoke room is for unlimited use. It's a very big room with a projector, and a staff who fixes the mic and the songs for you. They have song lists, paper and pencil to write your songs and couches for everyone to sit down. I sang a lot of songs and had gained new friend too.

After karaoke, we decided to laze around and drink beers in front of the beach. Beware of mosquito bites if you stay out there too long. I read in some comments that you can ask for some mosquito repellent lotion but at that time, when the mosquito started biting us, we decided we'd like to head back to the room to sleep.

Breakfast - it's a buffet breakfast and they served a lot of foods in there from coffee, sweets, pancakes, breads, noodles, chickens.. a lot more. I was really full in the morning and I think we spent like 2 hours in there.

The sun was so good so we lazed around the beach, climbed the big stones, tried to get some tan and tried the pool as well. It's still low tide in the morning and it will be hard for you to swim in the beach with all those stones and since it's low tide, you can touch the stones every time you try to swim. The new friend who's swimming with us got herself wounded when she stepped on a sharp stone from walking in the water. So you have to be very careful.

We checked out at 12PM but waited for the 1:30 shuttle bus to take us back to the ferry terminal. It was a bit of a long ride but it's okay since we slept through it. Upon reaching the ferry the resort staff gave us back our disembarkation cards along with the boarding pass and all. The ferry ride to SG is a bit bumpy due to big waves. We were seated on the upper deck again and the waves are really coming inside the boat. I suggest, if you easily get dizzy, you better sit on the upper deck. I was okay not until I tried going to the toilet, I felt dizzy with the boat rocking wildly because of the waves. Going inside is not much of a help too but still decided to stay inside since were reaching the terminal. For scary folks out there, you better choose the bigger ferry boat and not a smaller one cause it's kinda scary.

All in all I must say it was a wonderful experience. I thought I'll be bored but I never was. Maybe sometime in the future, I will be coming back to this place :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Halleyparrot
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

LOCATION - perfect for those who want to just relax by the beach or pool and avoid the crowd. Great view of the sea.

FOOD - local food is a must. Beef rendang & curry chicken (a la carte) and friend chicken (breakfast buffet) was exceptional, my top 3 fave. The rest, fair. Not so many selections for breakfast buffet, but for me it's fine coz they served fresh fruits.

ROOM & COMMON AREA - reasonably clean. Corner standard room is spacious. Pool is clean and not crowded - there were only 2 or 3 others around each time we use it. The whole resort was fairly cleaned aside from the area where the karaoke room was located - buildings look abandoned and the walkway was not well-lit at night, so a little creepy. The karaoke room we used for FREE was so huge and sound system was a wow. We spent 2hrs there, even exceeding the closing time.

SPA - had scrub+massage for 90 minutes...sooooo good! It would be better and more relaxing if they move it away, not next to the dining hall. You can hear every word the nearest table from the massage room.

TRANSPORT - free transport to and from ferry terminal and other hotels like Agro and Nirwana (where most water sports & island adventures are done), but you need to plan your trip as the timing is like every 2 hours.

SERVICE - over all service was good except for one "not so good" experience the day we arrived. While waiting for our room after check-in, we decided to have our lunch first. It took them 35mins to prepare our food despite informing us it will not be more than 15mins. The worst part, after waiting for so long, they told me my order was not available. I was pissed off. They offered an alternative after the long wait. I was soooo hungry I could eat my arm, so I just gave up and eat whatever available...hehe!

OVER-ALL - fun weekend experience! I would go back to "Bintan Cabana" for longer trip next time.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mayo O
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

First the positives
1. Friendly Staff, always smiling, co-operative and trying to accommodate all requests as much as they can. they changed movies trying to find every movie requested. even provided medicine for slight stomach upset without any cost.
2. Right on the sea, our room was right on sea, with veranda overlooking water. Nice sea breeze and sea sound.
3. Lovely view of morning sun, given of course no cloud. stayed for 2 nights, second morning was bit cloudy but first morning brilliant.
4. Breakfast was good with lot of variety
5. Room and bed nice comfortable, bathroom not big but ok.
6. Restaurant Sun-moon food was delicious.
Negatives
1. It is away from crowd, which is good as its quite bad as in not much to do.
2. Which also meant long drive away from jetty.
3. Shuttle to Agro can be more frequent, like every hour or so. No pool in Cabana or sea activity have to travel to Agro for the same.
4. Travel to restaurant restricted by shuttle bus timing.
5. Wifi is bit localised to only lobby area.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the sea. carry snacks
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Souvikroy26
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed as a family during a weekend, just 1 night.
The resort is not near the ferry terminal, which earns you an hour's journey into the other end of Bintan, near the kelongs.
We took the family suite, but in reality it seems more like a chalet in Singapore. The furniture is not that fantastic (well worn but well maintained); however, the room was spacious enough for a family of 4 or more.
Bring your mozzie repellent - we've got bitten on the first day, in the room itself with aircon on, as the door is not fully sealproof.
Breakfast is average, but I'm surprised at the variety - I was expecting something lesser.
As there's no shops around, you get your meals in their restaurant, which would be cheaper a bit as compared to the city. A meal with soup, 4 dishes, and rice costs SGD36 for the family.
Mealtimes are 7am - 10am; 12noon - 3pm; 6pm - 10pm; there's no food served in between mealtimes, so bring your own food/snacks along.

For SGD80 per night inclusive of transfer and breakfast, worth the buck; all we did was to relax. Definitely not as crowded as the other more popular places/resorts.

Room Tip: bring mosquito repellent; your own personal food
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jaz C
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

this Hotel has NO pool, they have a shuttle to the Agro Hotel where the pool was nice, but it was very annoying having to do this.
room was large & lovely, bed was comfortable, bathroom was average, shower over a large bathtub.
staff were not helpful in anyway, spoke very little english, very annoying.
I booked a sea view room which was the only nice thing about my stay as I woke early to watch the sunrise which was the highlight of my stay.
massage on the beach was wonderful while listening to the waves.
food was not nice.

Room Tip: book a sea view room
Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank aussiesenior2
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here for one day and that was enough for us. The sea is clear and shallow when it comes in but when the tide is out it goes out a long way. It is certainly not good for swimming. With that in mind we went over the road (?) to the swimming pool. The pool is a nice size but the filtration system had not been switched on and there were dead flies and leaves floating on the water. There are also no sun beds or, in fact, anywhere to relax around the pool, although there is an old string hammock slung between a tree nearby. Don't forget to pick up your beach towel before you go to the pool otherwise you will have to go back over the road to the hotel reception. Also, bear in mind that some local people live at the back of the pool and we had to chase three chickens away from the poolside.

We were put in one of the 'luxury villas' over the road from the main hotel reception. It was a nice size, although the layout was bizarre to say the least. The sink is effectively in the lounge and not in the bathroom. You are also only given one towel per guest - no hand towel or facecloth. The villa has lots of windows so we had to keep all the curtains shut all the time to give us some privacy.

The resort is not near any other habitation so, if you choose not to travel down to the sister hotel, you have to eat at the restaurant. The food is basic, but OK. There is, however, no dessert menu. The breakfast is also pretty basic. The staff try hard and are helpful but I struggled to ask for peanut butter and, after ten minutes, was bought honey and chocolate sauce!

If you are planning a holiday with children I would say this may not be the resort for you. If you are looking for complete peace and quiet in order to write a novel then perhaps it is. For Europeans I would recommend the Bintan Resort side of the island. This is too far, too remote and there is not really enough to do for a long weekend.

In its defence, the staff are helpful and the gardens were most beautifully kept.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple