“Great experience, slightly dated but overall enjoyable”
Review of Angsana Bintan

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We went to Bintan Angsana for a 3 day stay, we enjoyed the hotel and setting so much we opted to extend our stay another 2 days.

The private beach, partly shared with nearby Banyan Tree is great.
Expect to have most of your meals in one of the resorts restaurants, or in Banyan Tree, or room service as there is really not much around except for these two resorts.

The value for money was great at Angsana however, its somewhere between a 4 and 5 star resorts and with some modern refurbishments it would be a solid 5 star hotel. Good service, great spa, good food. We did lack what should be standard wi-fi Internet in the rooms.

Highly recommended if you want to relax and beachbum in a very smooth environment for a few these days. Perhaps more recommended for couples rather than families with small children.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed December 25, 2009

My extended family and I stayed one night at the Angsana in December. The weather turned out to be better than expected, given that it was supposed to be the monsoon season. My children (aged 13, 8 and 6) had lots of fun at the sea and the beach - which was clean and uncrowded. The beach was the main reason we were there. We were actually having extended holidays in Singapore and Bintan was a hop-away by ferry.

The service at the resort was good. Although checking-in took a bit of time (as expected, since arrivals were in bus-loads from the fixed ferry arrival times), we were provided with a welcome drink and snacks in a separate room while waiting. At the Lotus Cafe, we asked for non-refrigerated bottled water, and the waiter took some trouble to locate a bottle for us. The staff at the reception area was always ready to recommend activities or restaurants. The buggy service which ferried us to nearby restaurants was prompt.

However, the major let-down were the rooms. They need some major upgrading. No doubt the rooms were clean and the basic amenities were there, but they are no match for some newer beach resorts in the region which offer better value for money. The facilities in the rooms were reminiscent of hotel rooms 15-20 years ago (which is probably the age of the hotel?)

The best thing about the rooms? It's the view. From its layout, I would think almost all rooms at the resort would have breathtaking views of the South China Sea.

We tried the other services. The Spa was well-deserved of its reputation. The Kids' Club offered a good range of activities. The associate managing the Kids' Club was friendly and helpful, but I felt she could do with more help (there was only one assistant), especially when there were more than 10 children there at one time, of different age groups, embarking on different activities. As a result, I had to stay there for a while to supervise my two younger children, which sort of defeats the purpose of the Kids' Club. But the kids enjoyed themselves.

Our best experience was lunch at the Treetops, a restaurant at the neighbouring Banyan Tree resort. The hotel provides free buggy service to the restaurant. The view from the restaurant was magnificent and the veal was to-die-for. I would highly recommend it. Also, it was not as pricey as we expected. Eg the veal was USD30 which would be in line with prices in a good class restaurant in a 5-star hotel.

On the whole, we enjoyed our 2-day stay. It was sufficient for a quick get-away. But that little something extra to make us want to go back to the resort is missing. After all, with budget air-travel, the entire region is now open to us for quick get-aways. IMHO, the management needs to invest, or divest. As it is now, it will only get harder and harder to attract holiday-makers.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2009

Compared to similar setups in Malaysia or Phuket, I think Angsana is overpriced especially at the restaurants. But our family thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. The room was very nice, the massage excellent, and our children thoroughly loved the swimming pool and Kids' Club. The staff were also very nice and made efforts to remember our names. It was an excellent holiday for us.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2009

What I liked about this resort:
1) Very clean and lovely swimming pool.
2) Very clean and nice beach.
3) It is exclusive and not crowded.
4) Trainee Mayuni provided very good service.

What I disliked about this resort:
1) The rooms look old.
2) The white sofa in the hotel room has a huge stain and many stains.
3) The fridge in the hotel room is not cold enough for putting ice-cream. My ice-cream melted.
4) The front desk reception refused to help you call transport to other restaurants. They insisted that you call your own transport to other restaurants in your hotel room.
5) The breakfast in Lotus Cafe is not tasty. The fried bee hoon and vermicelle soto taste very salty. Other resorts serve much better breakfast. Lotus Cafe need to improve the taste and variety of their breakfast.
6) Everything is charged in USD and everything is so expensive. Other resorts in Bintan charge everything in Singapore Dollars.
A taxi cost USD 25.
A hot milo cost USD 4+++
A buffet dinner cost USD 34+++
7) You must make sure you bring enough necessities. There is no shop that sells contact lens solution or other things.

Conclusion: If Angsana Resort and Spa, Bintan can make the improvements, they will provide more value for money.

• Stayed: December 2009
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

Dear TigerSingapore,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Angsana Bintan.

We also wish to thank you for your gracious comments about our beach and our swimming pool.

Your special mention to Mayuni, our trainee has also been forwarded to her attention. She was most pleased to receive your compliments.

The concerns and feedback that you have raised in various areas are well noted and much appreciated. Please rest assured that we have taken necessary actions to improve those points in order to serve you better in the future.
Once again, we thank you for sharing your review and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to the resort in the future.

With kind regards

Nopparat Aumpa (Ms)
Hotel Manager

Reviewed December 13, 2009

My wife booked a night at this place for us. Its our second time to Bintan on the prior trip we stayed at the somewhat run-down but well-priced and well-located Mayang Sari. Considering that Angsana was considerably pricier than Sari (where we also stayed a single night), we were expecting something significantly better. Certainly, the rooms and overall upkeep of this hotel was better than Sari and the service at each step was exceptional but still couldn't help feeling we were paying a bit too much.

Our room was spacious and comfortable but not spectacular and if you're a beach person (like me) then Sari's beach location is far superior as their villas open right on the sand and have great ocean views. Angsana in this sense has more of a pure hotel room as ours with its balcony overlooked the pool and the sea beyond. The grounds are reasonably pretty but I felt the room lacked character. It was neither plush nor rustic.

However, the activities at this place were great. My wife and I rode ATVs for the first time and our excellent guide (Ardi, ask for him) took us right into the jungle where we got to drive on beautiful and rugged trails that ranged from close-set jungles to open beaches. At one point we felt like we were in a video game! We also took the day and night tour of the mangrove river and both tours are also highly recommended. At night we dined at the excellent Saffron restaurant (see other review) at the sister Banyan Tree resort next door.

The staff was all smiles and embarrassingly helpful a real plus over Mayang Sari where it was certainly more of a mixed bag. My wife had arranged a nice birthday surprise for me and the staff fulfilled to a T. Not one unpleasant encounter. I would rate the staff 6 stars if I could.

All in all, we were satisfied but this place was a bit expensive. I suppose some of it is because it has a bit of a monopoly as a nearby and yet exotic getaway for anyone coming in from Singapore. Fair enough, but still. Would we come back? Yes, but likely for an equally short stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2009

If you have always wanted a perfect little escape from city life, Angsana Bintan will make all come true for you.

My boyfriend and I came back from a two day one night stay and we both enjoyed every moment of our short getaway on the island. Not to mention that we are already looking forward to our next visit with friends.

The service delivered by their staff is five stars and I must say I was really pleased with the arrangements made for my requests. I went ahead with the option of a high floor facing the sea view and was no doubt given the best room in the resort. The happy birthday bed dressing and the complimentary chocolate cake on the table before our arrival in the room came as a pleasant surprise. Apart from all, I also liked most of the little things offered on the basic level - the full bathroom with toiletries, the complimentary bottles of mineral water, the selection at the mini snack bar, the variety of food for in-room dining, and the starfish bean bag that was sneaked onto our bed when we were away of which will count as a dollar to the Green Imperative Fund.

Being a beach lover myself, I could have never missed visiting the beach. The Angsana shares an exclusive beach with its sister resort, The Banyan Tree, located right beside it. We stayed over the weekday and had the luxury of enjoying the entire beach to ourselves along with a few others who were seen playing with surfboards. Being the monsoon season, we have decided not to risk with the unpredictable currents so all we did was to take off our slippers, feel the sand on our toes before we dip our feet into the sea. There were slight traces of oil spill spotted on the sand but I guess that is okay with their efforts to try control the situation with the authorities together with their work to maintain the beach. The resort has got a rather beautiful swimming pool but I found it a little small and its various pool corners were frequently occupied. One thing I liked about the pool area is the idea of having meals by the sun decks.

We dined mostly at the Lotus Cafe which has pretty average tasting food at the prices of which you expect in the United States. However, I suggested improving the ambience of the cafe and choices for more authentic indonesian food. The buffet breakfast was quite a spread too but then again it tasted only average. We really loved the hot tea though. We later explored the brunch options we have at the Banyan Tree but we decided to give it a miss after our stomachs said no. Unfortunately, the view of the sea from the Treetops restaurant was not as breathtaking as described. It did not turn out like the ultimate beach paradise I have in mind but it was overall a great experience worthwhile. If you are in for something intimately special, you got to try destination dining.

The spa was exceptional above all. Our therapist were very professional in their strokes and were meticulous in my concern with the burning of aromatherapy incense. They took the effort to remember our names and were constantly making sure if the pressure applied on our back was good for us. It was such a relaxing experience our session seemed so much shorter than it really was. We will definitely head back for a longer treatment package in future. All in all, this is a great place if you want to relax by the pool or the beach, play golf or engage in outdoor adventure sports and retreat by the quiet night.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Rooms Division Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2009

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Bintan Island!

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Angsana Bintan to spend your holidays and for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed the stay and that you had a pleasant experience.

We also wish to thank you for your gracious comments about our overall services and facilities. These have been shared to all our team members and they were very pleased by your kind comments.

Valued guest, thank you once again for sharing your wonderful experiences with us and for recommending Angsana Bintan as a place for a relaxing holiday getaway. We look forward to your return visit and to have the privilege of being of service to you again in the near future.

With kind regards,

Alpha Eldiansyah (Mr.)

Reviewed November 21, 2009

Coming from Singapore and Malaysia where we definetly got the value for our money this was a disappointment. More expensive than Singapore and the rooms where very low standard. The prices in the restaurant were also very high but they probably know you have no other choice. We planned a two day stay but cancelled the last night.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IdaHelsingborg
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2009

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent stay at Angsana Bintan.on Tripadvisor.com

I sincerely apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments on the concerns you raised for further actions of improvement.

In relation to the quality of our rooms, we would like to share with you that we are currently on the process of upgrading our rooms and facilities in order to serve you better in the future.

Once again, thank you for sharing your review and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to the resort again in the future.

Yours sincerely,