“Picture Perfect, Amazing Staff”
Review of Angsana Bintan

Angsana Bintan
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed February 1, 2009

We spent 4 days at the Angsana as we were looking for a beach getaway alongside our Singapore holiday. Wow, did we find it! The place is just so reflective and relaxing. Bintan Island is a 45 minute catamaran ride from Singapore and has to be the most beautiful place I have ever been to in my life. The staff were fantastic: overwhelmingly helpful, gracious and friendly. The room was lovely, although the bathroom was a little tired. A little gift was left at our bedside every night of our stay. Breakfast was included in our stay and the choice and quality was excellent. Didnt need to eat again til evening! We ate in the hotel every night but one, when we went to the Banyan Tree next door. The food in the hotel was fabulous, the beach restaurant was so romantic, dining under the stars!! We didnt find the food pricey at all, cheaper than the same standard at home in UK. The drink is perhaps a bit more expensive. The food at the Banyan Tree was more expensive but was also very good. The Spa, fantastic. My husband and I both went for treatments and it is a must have here. We would definately recommend and hope to return for a longer stay as our 4 days wasnt long enough.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,682)

Reviewed January 22, 2009

We visited the Angsana Resort & Spa, Bintan, in September to celebrate my wife birthday. Before making this booking, we did a lot of research, and considered other resorts in Bintan, but in the end decided to stay at Angsana. And it was definately a super decision. The place is beautiful, romantic, and much more. The rooms are perfect, clean and very well mantained. The bathrooms are also very good. Upon arrival the hotel staff decorated our bed specially for my wifes Bday. Brought the biggest smile to her face :)

One of the highlights of this place has to be the friendliness of the staff. They are there when you need them, and are very polite.
The beach is blissful, pretty much a private beach, shared with the Banyan Tree resort right next door (Angsana & Banyan Tree are under the same management). Lots of activities - snorkeling, Jet Ski, ATV, Beach Volley ball & more

Its also got a beautiful pool, but with the nice blue sea so inviting, we hardly used the pool. Good restaurants, but slightly limited for the vegetarians.

To sum it up, great place, very romantic, beautiful beach, value for money. I would definately stay here again !

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2009

I spent my birthday here with my wife and kid who was by that time almost turning 2.

Going to the resort was a breeze. From the port to the resort was around 20 mins. Once we were at the resort, the registration took a while though (like 45 mins of which 30 mins while spent on waiting for your turn). Quite slow I would like to add. The resort area is huge and the place is full of greenery. The room, which is a one bedroom suite was spartan, but enough to make us feel at home. My wife liked it a lot, nonetheless.

The pool was small compared to the pics I've seen in their website. I expected something bigger and more dramatic (with the design and sculptures in the pool). But after revisiting their website, I realized that one shot made it look bigger, while another has an angle which gave a better representation of its actual size.

What surprised me was the quality of the beach. The beach is situated in a cove, hence the wave is subdued. It was actually nice. Nice enough for me to just stay there and relax for hours on end. The water was clear, and the sand quality is above average and white in hue. The maintenance guys rake the sand to remove debris deposited by the waves and the garbage that irresponsible revelers leave at the beach.

What was so-so was the food. The food costs an average US$ 11 per order. The buffet breakfast spread was nothing to be happy about since the choices really were basic. An advice I can give is that never eat at any of their restaurants that are dim. Make sure that there is enough lighting to inspect your food as you eat it or before you dive for it. I had the misfortune of eating baked potatoes that looked funny and that I was only able to inspect it after hunkering down most of the suspect potato.

Overall, my 2 nights 3day stay was not bad given that I paid for the accommodation much cheaper than the normal rate because of time-share. Otherwise, I would say it would be expensive and not value for money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We were looking for a couple of days of complete relaxation before Christmas and our new baby was due and we completely got this at the Angsana - whether we were chilling by the pool or on the beach - the setting was tranquil, the beach clean and it was very picturesque. There were plenty of kids about to feel like our three year old son wasn't getting in anyone's way and the staff were pleasant and attentive. We also were very impressed by the hotel's attempts to be environmentally conscious.

We did have a couple of complaints - one time our order did get lost at the beachside restaurant leaving us a little hungry and in general the food was a little overpriced in the restaurants. The room was adequate enough for our needs but the bathroom did need a good jetwash and we found the pillows a little high for our short necks :)

In short, it was a pleasant enough stay and we left feeling we'd got a good rest and plenty of sunshine. There are some creases that need ironing out though - but it is a very quiet resort with little in the way of activities going on (unless spas and golf are your kind of thing...) so don't go expecting a great pool scene or it being a huge hive of activity - it is just a place to bring a good book, sleep, dip in the pool and rejuvenate...

P.S. Bring a bucket for the ferry...

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2009

My partner and I booked a week stay at the Angsana Bintan based on the pictures and description on the hotel web-site. On arrival we felt mislead and cheated. The quality of the resort is poor and nothing like as featured on the web-site. The Superior room we were given was poor quality, small, it smelt. the sheets were so old they were not white but yellow. The bathroom was disgusting.

We were so dissapointed that we left within 4 hours and booked flights to Thailand and had a wonderful holiday in Phuket.

Needleess to say we lost a large sum of money because we had pre-paid for this resort.

My advice is do not stay at this terrible resort and consider some of the reviews on this site with a pinch of salt because they bear no resemblance to reality.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ConcernedLondon
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We arrived in Bintan via Singapore on a ferry. Be prepared for the visa charge at customs as we were caught un-aware. The short coach trip from the ferry terminal is only 20 minutes. we arrived to a beautiful resort. After checking in we went to our room we initially were in he Delux room and were a little disappointed. Small and very old fashiond. They kindly upgrade us to a bigger room, still old fashioned but a better size.

We went straight to lunch. oh my god the food here is amazing. After walking around we were so happy with the choice of resort, one of the best pool areas i have ever seen.

Everything is in US$ here but they will accept Singapore $. Be prepared to pay for the food and beer. it is not cheap. But you have too eat. So jut enjoy, charge to your room and worry about it later

We found a local bus that takes to to a little shopping area called Pessar Oleh Oleh, Beer, Chips, Smokes everything is cheap as. So I suggest stock up there. You will pay s$6 return trip but well worth the short trip. You can eat there and it is VERY cheap but i didnt like the food there.

If you like Golf this is the resort for you, The great Greg Norman course is just next door. I played in the week and got a caddy felt very posh. Loved it, played 3 games and I suggest a caddy, there course knowledge is worth it.

There are several great restaurants around this complex, TreeTops and The Cove were one of our favourites.

The staff is what makes this hotel, within 24 hours all staff knew my surname and greeted me this way. The service is first class. never seen anything like it.

We have had a great holiday. Be preapred to spoilt, they really look after you here. Try the local food it is great. The only thing that let this resort down was the rooms, but you only sleep there so that is ok.

There is also Free Bottled water and Free Wifi in the lobby which I was impressed by. Other hotels make money from this.

I would suggest no more than 5 to 6 nights here as there is not much to do than relax. ( oh and play golf )

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I have to agree with 1709's review, especially about the bareness of the 'suite' and bathroom...

I bathed as soon as I arrived and noticed the bath was not draining, pulled up the plughole stopper and found a disgusting hair-ball! The room was comfortable, the bed excellent, but otherwise nothing special given the $$ price tag.

The facilities are good not luxurious, the pool is excellent and the beach is raked everyday to maintain it's pristine look. The restaurant food was good, especially @ the Banyan tree, but the breakfast average.

The one plus was the staff were all very good; friendly and happy to help but not over-eager.

Not great value for money.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple